Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Thank you for elaborating nothing... oh, and purposefully ignoring those inconvenient plot summaries that accompany all movies.
    I’m not. I never suggested I did. You are making things up.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I’m not. I never suggested I did. You are making things up.
    Just the logical implications of your comments. "Anecdotal"... you seem to think I am the only one who reads plot summaries, or that they are printed on the back of every movie just for me, not for the millions of potential viewers out there. I am just an average guy, not some kind of privileged unique case. I don't buy or rent movies without doing what countless others also do: read the plot summary first, or watch the trailer, or read the reviews. Nothing "unusual" or "unique" about it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You have to be careful even with the advertisements for more “legitimate” films. As I posted earlier, Terminator 3 was shown to feature the future robot wars, Alien 3 was promoted to take place on Earth, Scream was advertised as a Drew Barrymore film, Drive was shown to be a Fast and Furious style action film, and even the recent Avengers Infinity War ads featured characters that were not in the film at all.

These things are all products being sold, and they’ll do anything to make that money. Like fast food commercials that make the food look amazing, but then you get it and it’s a disaster.

This isn’t directly related, just something that occurred to me when promotion was mentioned...
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Jun-2018 at 02:53 AM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You have to be careful even with the advertisements for more “legitimate” films. As I posted earlier, Terminator 3 was shown to feature the future robot wars, Alien 3 was promoted to take place on Earth, Scream was advertised as a Drew Barrymore film, Drive was shown to be a Fast and Furious style action film, and even the recent Avengers Infinity War ads featured characters that were not in the film at all.

These things are all products being sold, and they’ll do anything to make that money. Like fast food commercials that make the food look amazing, but then you get it and it’s a disaster.

This isn’t directly related, just something that occurred to me when promotion was mentioned...
    The case of Scream is still technically "legit": that actress is in the movie after all (albeit only during the starting sequence.) I remember back in the day that Red Sonja was also heavily promoted as a Schwarzenegger film, and in some countries the movie was even rechristened as "Kalidor" (!!!):

even though his character is not the main one and is not onscreen for a large portion of the movie. But Schwarzenegger does appear in it, so it is still technically "legit".

Sometimes movie advertisements will show things that are not actually in the movie, or that the advertisers just got wrong. At the old Nitpickers site these errors totally counted as legit "nitpicks". I got several of these in. For the movie Tron, for example, I got three of them approved: one for the trailer (it shows Flynn pressing a key labelled "TRON" on a computer keyboard: THIS WAS NOT IN THE MOVIE!), one for some foreign (can't remember from where now) advertisement (the description said that Flynn is trapped inside a "video game": WRONG! He gets trapped inside ENCOM's computer network, which is controlled by the devious MCP, which makes the captured programs destroy each other by forcing them to play deadly games, which is very different) and one for the Italian movie poster (it says that Flynn is "trapped in an unreal world to destroy the video-force that he had created": WRONG! Flynn gets trapped in ENCOM's computer network by the MCP, which is Ed Dillinger's creation, not Flynn's, and this is what becomes his goal to destroy.)
    Last edited by JDP; 18-Jun-2018 at 04:24 AM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You getting some kind of kickback for this nitpickers thing? Because this is about the fifth time you’ve mentioned it lately.

Rising

United States
    You getting some kind of kickback for this nitpickers thing? Because this is about the fifth time you’ve mentioned it lately.
    It suits the topics being discussed lately. The site specialized in such things.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just the logical implications of your comments.
    You seem to use that word a lot. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Rising

United States
    You seem to use that word a lot. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    implication
    noun
    plural: implications

1. the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated; something implied or suggested as naturally to be inferred or understood; something that is suggested without being said directly.

Synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    implication
    noun
    plural: implications

1. the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated; something implied or suggested as naturally to be inferred or understood; something that is suggested without being said directly.

Synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation
    I was referring to logical.

Rising

United States
    I was referring to logical.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yay, Spock! There’s always room for Spock and Trek!

Back to the thread topic of Blu Ray collections: curious if my fellow collectors have any specific ways they display, arrange, or store their collections?

For me, I have a pretty large collection that I keep out for visitors to browse should they choose. I’ve just recently sold my house and am in the process of building another, but at that previous house I had a “Man Cave” in the basement(which I actually referred to as more of a “Nerd Cave”). In that room, I had a large shelving section to house all my DVDs and Blu Rays.

As I said, it’s quite a collection. Just guessing, it’s probably around 800-1,000 titles. Possibly more, just never bothered to count. For the majority of the shelving I would have them in alphabetical order. However, I’d keep the DVDs in one section, and the Blu Rays in another. On top of that, I would keep boxed set collections together, as well as a section for the BIG box sets such as the 40th anniversary Planet of the Apes or complete Star Trek original crew movie and tv series. These are those long cases that are impossible to place with a normal Blu Ray case shelving.

Also, occasionally I’d break the alphabetical order placement for certain franchises. For example, I’d have Chris Nolan’s Batman trilogy together, even though the titles of these films would normally have them seperated in alphabetical order. There’d also be a section for ALL Batman films, which itself was in a section of all DC comics films. Same for things such as James Bond, Romero, or Marvel.

So what about you fellas, how do you keep your collection organized, if at all? Some may not even care to have their collections in any sort of sequencing. Maybe it’s an underlying mental or OCD issue, but I personally can’t stand it if I go to someone’s house and their collections are just thrown together all Willy-Nilly.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 02:05 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    So what about you fellas, how do you keep your collection organized, if at all? Some may not even care to have their collections in any sort of sequencing. Maybe it’s an underlying mental or OCD issue, but I personally can’t stand it if I go to someone’s house and their collections are just thrown together all Willy-Nilly.
    I'm selling off all of my DVDs except for a few select titles that have yet to reach BluRay. I'm still open to buying DVDs in these cases.
    As for how I keep my films, I keep all of my bluRays sorted after label and then internally by genre or according to numbered sleeves.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable carrying such a big selection as yours again. I have about 700 DVDs I'm letting go and I don't think I'll ever reach that size again. But who knows. My blurays number around 200 now and that's just after 18 months of serious collection. So we'll see I guess.

Ireland
    LOL.

I tried to alphabetise my DVD/Blu collection, but my wife doesn't put anything back where she found it, so I've just given up. Also, I digitised my physical copies onto disks and sold off a lot of DVD's. Most of the time, if I want to watch something (other than the extras) I'll be watching the digital copy.

Like Ned, I'm not sure if I'll be putting the same amount of effort in collecting physical copies of films again - not at this time of life anyway. I've gone through video collections, DVD collections and now Blu's, which I'm building at a much slower pace and with only titles that I want for "posterity", as it were. Eventually, everything is going to go digital anyway and physical copies will become harder and harder to get, I reckon.

I don't see any point in 4K, so that particular means of collecting will mean nothing to me. But, that will be the next big push I suppose. But, with DVD still outselling Blu Ray and the majority of people not understanding the quality difference between a DVD and a Blu, I just can't imagine the general public taking on 4K.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

I tried to alphabetise my DVD/Blu collection, but my wife doesn't put anything back where she found it, so I've just given up. Also, I digitised my physical copies onto disks and sold off a lot of DVD's. Most of the time, if I want to watch something (other than the extras) I'll be watching the digital copy.
    You have to think like a woman.

Organize by color. This she will understand.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've got mine alphabetised, but I sorted that out quite early on (as in, hundreds of DVDs ago). It's the easiest way to find something. I've got my DVDs and Blu-Rays in their own sections, although they do somewhat clash together at one point simply because of the layout of my shelves and the general lack of shelf space ... much like Heathrow airport, I seem to always be running at 99% capacity.

Box sets have their own section, too, and I've still got all my VHS tapes - box official and ones that are chock full'o recordings going back as far as the 1990s. I've got a bunch of 'lesser used' discs - as well as discs that have since been usurped by Blu-Ray or another DVD edition - stashed a storage box under the bed and it is, yep, crammed full.

I'll have to see about letting some of them go, but to be honest I'm quite attached to my collection. I remember where I got them, when I got them, sometimes even how much I paid for them, and like the dude in High Fidelity it's like an autobiography told through physical media purchases.

As someone who actually has OCD (which isn't just being particular about things - the term gets so misused in conversation), part of it relates to physical objects - you have trouble throwing things away as you grow connected to them, they attain meaning and a connection to the past/important events/loved ones (e.g. if it was a gift) - with certain objects you can even end up attaching some sort of anthropomorphised state to them, so it can be very hard to actually get rid of anything (yes, hoarding is an offshoot of OCD and can be it's own separate mental health issue).

Anyway, lest I get all serious, circling back to purchases - yesterday I got my copy of Arrow Video's deluxe 3-disc release of The Last House on the Left. Plenty to trawl through on there!