Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

England
    Just a few thoughts on the horse choice...

I'm pretty sure horses can "get by" on cropping grass for a while, the horse may have seemed like a good idea because it provided a good vantage point to scan the area he was heading into.

Also it's able to weave in and out of traffic jams and tackle uneven ground if need be.

I'm no expert but I think the above points are pretty valid. Hell, maybe he even thought that being an animal, it would be able to sense zacks a bit sooner than it did.

*looks forward to BD/DVD commentaries that explain lots of things we'd like to know*
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    How many days was that guy alone in a coma? My main question is why weren't his backside choked with poo? Or would there be a shitbag already attached to him? I didn't see him pull one off. I kept picturing a Hot Tub Time Machine gag where he's pulling out his catheter...

United States
    It is a testament to our argumentative nature that so soon after the release of this highly anticipated show and we are already picking it apart like so many vultures.
    I don't see any reason to compare the show to a George Romero project at all. Nothing . . . .NOTHING would ever replace the love I have for the original holy trilogy, but By that same token, I can see myself loving the Walking Dead just as much in the future because of its own greatness.
    I love peanutbutter sandwiches. . .and I love banana/peanutbutter sandwiches. Banana/peanutbutter sandwiches would not be around if the peanutbutter sandwich hadn't been here first. And I loved the peanutbutter sandwich first, but now I love the banana/peanutbutter sandwich as much as just the peanutbutter sandwich. . . . . .damn I'm hungry. . . .

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    How many days was that guy alone in a coma? My main question is why weren't his backside choked with poo? Or would there be a shitbag already attached to him? I didn't see him pull one off. I kept picturing a Hot Tub Time Machine gag where he's pulling out his catheter...
    I thought of that too.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Just a few thoughts on the horse choice...

I'm pretty sure horses can "get by" on cropping grass for a while, the horse may have seemed like a good idea because it provided a good vantage point to scan the area he was heading into.

Also it's able to weave in and out of traffic jams and tackle uneven ground if need be.

I'm no expert but I think the above points are pretty valid. Hell, maybe he even thought that being an animal, it would be able to sense zacks a bit sooner than it did.

*looks forward to BD/DVD commentaries that explain lots of things we'd like to know*

I am hoping for an extended cut BR... I have a feeling Frank shot a lot of footage and I wanna see what had to be cut to get the running time down. I feel a gorier version is on the way, and I hope and pray it has tons of extras.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I am hoping for an extended cut BR... I have a feeling Frank shot a lot of footage and I wanna see what had to be cut to get the running time down. I feel a gorier version is on the way, and I hope and pray it has tons of extras.
    Mmm, a true 90 minute pilot with no adds...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Mmm, a true 90 minute pilot with no adds...
    Yep, zombie goodness.... however, i would love to see the series air at a cinema, i would love to have seen all of that from Ep 1 on the big screen.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    So i think the majority of us agree Darabont has upstaged Romero and we can now move on from this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'll agree with all the people who consider the above an overly simplistic statement.
    Give Romero his due & proper for blueprinting the whole thing and Kirkman credit for plot, conceptualization and characters, then revise your statement about about Darabont upstaging Romero to specify it's Romero's recent works and you'll have something you can hang your hat on.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSiN View Post
    Why the people feel the need to compare is beyond me. Who cares!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    O'Flynn keeps yelling it about every 5 minutes.

MULDOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Then he does a jig, eats a potato and some Lucky Charms, and thinks of more ways to be a parody of an irishman.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    It is a testament to our argumentative nature that so soon after the release of this highly anticipated show and we are already picking it apart like so many vultures.
    I don't see any reason to compare the show to a George Romero project at all. Nothing . . . .NOTHING would ever replace the love I have for the original holy trilogy, but By that same token, I can see myself loving the Walking Dead just as much in the future because of its own greatness.
    I love peanutbutter sandwiches. . .and I love banana/peanutbutter sandwiches. Banana/peanutbutter sandwiches would not be around if the peanutbutter sandwich hadn't been here first. And I loved the peanutbutter sandwich first, but now I love the banana/peanutbutter sandwich as much as just the peanutbutter sandwich. . . . . .damn I'm hungry. . .
    Thanks for saving me all that typing guys.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I feel a gorier version is on the way,
    I don't think it will be too much more gory. Taken from a Kirkman interview:

EW: Even your original comic didn’t kick off in such a brutal fashion. Was there much discussion about that whether that was a good idea?

RK: You know, it was just something Frank put into the script. At no point did AMC say, “Yeah, maybe we shouldn’t be doing this.” So I guess because it was treated like it wasn’t a big deal, it didn’t really occur to me how bold that was until I was on set. It was always a question as to how much of that they were going to show, and AMC has surprised us with everything that they’re allowing us to do. There was a plan at one point to shoot a lot of gore—which is what we did—but the original plan was to have re-edited versions of the episodes, that would go on DVD. But at this point, AMC hasn’t really made us pull anything.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hopefully then it gets gorier... who knows, I am glad AMC has been on board with this stuff. However, it irks me though that people feel TWD has a set of balls because they shot a kid in the first 5 minutes. TWD wasn't the first to kill a child. Hell I had zombies eating flesh out of stroller in Deadlands 1, and that was 4 years ago

Anyway, I just hope the BR is packed with tons of extras, and hopefully they add some stuff back in because I noticed a few major continuity errors that I reasoned to be stuff cut out for running time. Rick's windshield and mirror in the police cruiser are damaged, and it doesn't look like damage from the shoot out weeks before, so I am curious as to what happened there, plus a few other minor things.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    However, it irks me though that people feel TWD has a set of balls because they shot a kid in the first 5 minutes. TWD wasn't the first to kill a child. Hell I had zombies eating flesh out of stroller in Deadlands 1, and that was 4 years ago
    True, they're not the first to kill a child....but on national television? In the first five minutes? That's a bit ballsy. Maybe not to zombie nuts like ourselves, but to the average viewer it could be a bit jarring. Most shows would probably jusy show Rick's gun firing and then cut to the credits. This had the wound, the splatter, the landing, the dripping....the whole nine yards. At 10 pm on a cable network...

On a side note - Everything online is saying the series will continue to air on Sundays at 10pm, but when I checked my DVR schedule(Dish Network) it lists the second episode, "Guts", to be airing at 11pm. Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Nov-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fuck reasons

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    True, they're not the first to kill a child....but on national television? In the first five minutes? That's a bit ballsy. Maybe not to zombie nuts like ourselves, but to the average viewer it could be a bit jarring. Most shows would probably jusy show Rick's gun firing and then cut to the credits. This had the wound, the splatter, the landing, the dripping....the whole nine yards. At 10 pm on a cable network...
    I will admit that is a kick ass opening to a show and that little girl was creepy even if they did sort of rip it off from DAWN 2004, with her make-up FX. But the slow motion reflex of being shot in the head and the landing were cringe inducing but part of me was going FUCK YEAH at the same time.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

United States
    Regarding the little girl, I didn't like her make up too much, but it was okay and the dramatic/emotional angle worked well.

I will admit that is a kick ass opening to a show and that little girl was creepy even if they did sort of rip it off from DAWN 2004, with her make-up FX. .
    Thankfully she didn't go all supersonic.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Regarding the little girl, I didn't like her make up too much, but it was okay and the dramatic/emotional angle worked well.

Thankfully she didn't go all supersonic.

LOL... Yeah. But damn it was creepy seeing her walking with that stuffed animal, it just helped add to the horror when she turns around and is revealed to be a zombie.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

United States
    LOL... Yeah. But damn it was creepy seeing her walking with that stuffed animal, it just helped add to the horror when she turns around and is revealed to be a zombie.
    Oh, yeah, they played it and shot it really well. Very creepy.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh, yeah, they played it and shot it really well. Very creepy.
    I remember when the trailers aired I thought seeing the kid in the line of cars reminded me of the mist a bit
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!