View Poll Results: What did you think of Survival of the Dead?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it.

19 13.01%
  • Liked It.

53 36.30%
  • Meh, neither here nor there.

25 17.12%
  • Disappointed.

29 19.86%
  • Hated it.

20 13.70%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you who **have seen** Survival of the Dead - - - opinion poll!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I haven't seen it as of yet. As i said I'm taking the netflix approach to this one.

It doeasn't release until the 24th anyway.

But from everything I've heard I'm scared to slide it in the blu ray plyer.

I'm hopeful that i'll be pleasantly surprised but judging on the feedback it's gotten here alone it's a fool's hope.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I haven't seen it as of yet. As i said I'm taking the netflix approach to this one.

It doeasn't release until the 24th anyway.

But from everything I've heard I'm scared to slide it in the blu ray plyer.

I'm hopeful that i'll be pleasantly surprised but judging on the feedback it's gotten here alone it's a fool's hope.

And yet the majority "love/like" the movie according to our poll - the same thing with Land of the Dead too. The haters hate louder than the lovers, who are too busy spooning and dozing off.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    If you can make it past the first thirty minutes or so with the crap CGI gags......you should be okay.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If you can make it past the first thirty minutes or so with the crap CGI gags......you should be okay.
    It's not, nor was it ever going to be, another Dawn of the Dead. It's just GAR enjoying himself silly. Is it flawless? God no. Is it a disaster? God no.

I was a bit trepidacious (is that a word? sp?) before it came out, but I sat down and watched it and after wavering for the first five minutes, I began to really enjoy myself and then I had a ball with it ... and what's more, I thought just the same the second time around so it wasn't just a fluke either - for me at least.

But as evidenced by our poll, the majority dug the flick.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But as evidenced by our poll, the majority dug the flick.
    My personal opinion is that the poll is rubbish.

And I'm not just saying that to be a hater. I think that if Survival had come out first of the new 3 it would've been hated more than Land was. I think Land and Diary softened up the audience enough to win Survival a favorable response. That is, the criteria for "Liked" lowered after 2 stinkers.

Take a look at the "Worst of the Worst" poll and Land did better than Survival. You're bound to discover that people who voted Disliked or worse on Land voted Liked or better on Survival... and yet vote Land better than Survival head-to-head!! That's pretty solid evidence that the bar lowered.
    Last edited by Trin; 17-Aug-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Whelp...pay day is here. So I bought it. I watched it. My reaction?...

I liked Land. I liked Diary (flawed though it may have been). I went into it fully prepared to embrace it & refute all the claims of those who have been hating it, but in the end...eh....

I'm not going to go into hysetrics & claim it's the worst thing since Adolph Hitler. But I didn't enjoy it very much. Bad dialog. Bad performances ( a shame as I REALLY was looking forward to Van Sprang's character.) Didn't think the over-the-top zombie kills would bug me...but they did. I dunno. Can't 100% put my finger on what didn't work about this one for me, but it just didn't click.

I'll probably give it another view sometime & I have a feeling I might like it a tad better now that I know what to expect. But right now I'm a bit disappointed. And sad.

Undisclosed
    I voted "liked it" in this rubbish poll.

Will there be a real poll soon?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

Errr...most voted Loved or Liked...did I miss something...?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

Rubbish poll? Why? Five options not enough? Two extremes (love, hate), two strong views (liked, disappointed), and one that's in the middle (neither here nor there) - straight forward. What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Errr...most voted Loved or Liked...did I miss something...?
    Same thing with Land, most of HPOTD gave it the thumbs up, so it always confuses me when some people say that "most" people on HPOTD hated it.

United States
    Just found out it's playing up at the university next week.

I'm going to try and enjoy myself.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Whelp...pay day is here. So I bought it. I watched it. My reaction?...

I liked Land. I liked Diary (flawed though it may have been). I went into it fully prepared to embrace it & refute all the claims of those who have been hating it, but in the end...eh....

I'm not going to go into hysetrics & claim it's the worst thing since Adolph Hitler. But I didn't enjoy it very much. Bad dialog. Bad performances ( a shame as I REALLY was looking forward to Van Sprang's character.) Didn't think the over-the-top zombie kills would bug me...but they did. I dunno. Can't 100% put my finger on what didn't work about this one for me, but it just didn't click.

I'll probably give it another view sometime & I have a feeling I might like it a tad better now that I know what to expect. But right now I'm a bit disappointed. And sad.
    I agree with everything you said. I actually got into the storyline and how the humans ultimately cause their own demise. But that's about it.

A couple of things bothered me though.

Gar is having the ghouls do things a mere 6 days into the outbreak that took them years in the original trilogy. They started exhibiting "normal human behavior" years into the outbreak as we saw in the begining of land.

Here right off the top they're delivering mail and riding horses and shit. Very hokey, imo. It almost makes them into a joke.

Also, the cgi kills are simply killing this reboot he's got going. It doesn't look real or blend seamlessly into the film at all. The flare gun kill? Is he serious with that stuff? He's George A. Fucking Romero and should be above that stuff. Well, obviously not right?

Even the army buddy kills at the beginning of the film were aweful. My 6 year old thought it was terrible.

He dabbled with cgi kills in land but there were plenty of conventional/practical effects as well.

It's sad when day's SFX, a 25 year old movie mind you, is lightyears ahead of what he's producing now.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Just found out it's playing up at the university next week.

I'm going to try and enjoy myself.
    perhaps you should skip watching survival then. it's nowhere near enjoyable...quite the opposite, actually.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    perhaps you should skip watching survival then. it's nowhere near enjoyable...quite the opposite, actually.

Regardless of anything I've heard on the site, I'm still going to give it a chance anyway. I'll get to see it on a decent-sized screen for only a couple bucks. I'll form my own opinion based on what I see "up there".

Worst case scenario I get to hand out flyers for my Halloween show to local zombie fans.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Good for you, Billy. Although Survival gets a lot of shit, even from myself, I would still encourage everyone to see it and form their own opinion. I'm shocked to see that some of our UK friends have yet to see it. It's been out over there for months now....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Good for you, Billy. Although Survival gets a lot of shit, even from myself, I would still encourage everyone to see it and form their own opinion. I'm shocked to see that some of our UK friends have yet to see it. It's been out over there for months now....
    It's the SFX man! My god the SFX!

They just took me right out of the film. It like watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit!" You know none of it is real and actors are acting by themselves with things added in later.

As peter said "It's just no good."