Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Ouija Board Experiences

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Cool, so sometimes people go insane - and blame the ouija board.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Cool, so sometimes people go insane - and blame the ouija board.
    Ahem, that's one subjective opinion...

But like most other religious/political threads around here, I hardly find it worth arguing/debating any longer as it just continues as a cycle.

We should stick with zombies, hot chicks, horror films, and beer -- I think all of us here can agree on the merits of all four of these discussions. They are also usually less argumentative.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 23-May-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Ahem, that's one subjective opinion...
    Again - Make an outrageous claim, put up the evidence.

England
    There was one thing happened to my dad in the old house I used to live in probably about 15 years ago (a cottage built in 1767). Myself, my mum & sisters had gone to stay at my grandmas for a weekend down in Bromsgrove. He was in bed, probably in the middle of the night since he usually stays up late, and he heard footsteps coming up the stairs, he says he kind of froze thinking there was a burglar in the house, the old adrenaline was probably pounding, and the footsteps came across the landing and up to his bedroom door & just stopped. I think (cos I cant remember the story in detail,I was a kid then) he eventually dared open the door to confront the supposed burglar but there was nothing there, and after checking the rest of the house he concluded nobody had been in either now whether that was the creaking and moving of an old house, his imagination going wild seen as he was on his own, or something more is anyones guess, but it was still something that always creeped me out, especially as occasionally I heard creaking on the stairs as a kid & used to hide under my covers!

Undisclosed
    I believe in Oiuji boards. I also believe in the tooth fairy, Jesus and George Bushs' good intentions. KTHXBAI.

[Edit] I spose I should point out (for balance) my mum and stepdad once noted that my mums favourite dog barked and kept them awake during the night once. Nothing spooky about that. Until it's pointed out that she'd been put down at 6:30pm that night, and they are similar to me, don't believe it until they see it. I'm still trying to work out an explanation for that night.[/edit]

If, however, you consider death to be a force of nature itself, then it should be quite natural. Out of interest, just how many animals can be seen within 5 miles of the famous German concentration camp these days?
    Last edited by Dtothe3; 23-May-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtothe3 View Post
    I believe in Oiuji boards. I also believe in the tooth fairy, Jesus and George Bushs' good intentions. KTHXBAI.
    Thank you for contributing to the discussion at hand. Surely, your highly articulate response shall always be the gold standard that every other poster that wishes to contribute to this thread must live up too.

Edit,
    okay, so you edited your post, you may ignore the above statement.

poof.
    Last edited by mista_mo; 23-May-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Undisclosed
    Do you mean "poof" as in you disappear in a magical smoke that makes people unsure of where you went?

Do you mean "poof" in an offensive sense as in that I'm a homosexual (not actually offensive other then to the narrow minded folks)

Or were you angered by the fact that I used my comments to express my personal discontent at the spiritual beliefs of people, those same people who have expressed their discontent with me using phrasing such as "You're going to hell!" and "Burn in hell you piece of shit!"

Please answer, I'd be so interested to know.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtothe3 View Post
    Do you mean "poof" as in you disappear in a magical smoke that makes people unsure of where you went?

Do you mean "poof" in an offensive sense as in that I'm a homosexual (not actually offensive other then to the narrow minded folks)

Or were you angered by the fact that I used my comments to express my personal discontent at the spiritual beliefs of people, those same people who have expressed their discontent with me using phrasing such as "You're going to hell!" and "Burn in hell you piece of shit!"

Please answer, I'd be so interested to know.
    What the hell does any of this rambling have to do with anything?

You made a snide comment for the sake of making a snide comment, Mo called you out on it, rightfully, and you went back and added some thought to it instead of just keeping a snide comment up.

And a person's sexual preferences certainly have nothing do with anything in this discussion. However, attacking religious individuals for their beliefs with silly arguments is no greater than calling out homosexuals for equally silly reasons.

j.p.

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    We should stick with zombies, hot chicks, horror films, and beer -- I think all of us here can agree on the merits of all four of these discussions. They are also usually less argumentative.

j.p.
    Can I talk about hot dudes instead?

Marie
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Can I talk about hot dudes instead?

Marie
    Of course, Marie, you and Chic are more than welcome to share your images of myself and other handsome board members here anytime you would like -- oh, and the occasional 'hot guy' as well, I suppose, that isn't a board member.

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    What the hell does any of this rambling have to do with anything?
    perhaps you should kick it clinton style and post a 8 para response on the definition of the word "pool" as used in your post.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    perhaps you should kick it clinton style and post a 8 para response on the definition of the word "pool" as used in your post.
    Mike, it would all depend on what the definition of 'is' really is, you know?

Me thinks that Clinton's brother Roger was taking a course on Wittgenstein at his local community college and sharing his findings when Bill made the statement...

j.p.

Twitching

United States
    One thing that hasn't been brought up yet,
    In specific regard to inhuman spirits of that we might consider to be either "good" or "evil" based on their actions.

A natural phenomena like say gravity or electrical current is there and available to be quantified and explored at our leisure. These are mindless forces of nature, that do not thing, and operate only insofar as natural law dictates.

If you consider a theory that focuses on a being presumed to be intelligent and self-aware (ETs, Spirits, Ghosts etc) then any solid scientific theory would absolutely require the consideration of the possibility that such intelligent beings have a minimum of ability equal to that of humans, and possibly much greater. (After all, the good scientist would consider the possibility that the inhabitants of a world that became fit and conducive to complex life-forms far earlier than Earth did could definitely have given rise to intelligent life far earlier than the rise of humanity. This could easily and logically explain the possibility of civilization(s) FAR more advanced than we are.

Referencing ETs in particular: Consider the pattern of advancement in our own arms race. Stealth technology doesn't require incredibly advanced scientific achievements in related fields. It's at its most basic the simple study of what you wish to remain unnoticed by, and then exploiting the weaknesses of the detection system.

After only 200-300 years of serious, systematic, UNIMPEDED scientific inquiry, man can already produce vehicles that travel quickly through the water, yet defeat sound-detection (Ie: Sonar). We have air-vehicles that do the same thing in their element. Every decade sees new developments. Thermal shielding to render infrared useless, and now we're up to synthetic materials that refract light waves, bringing actual invisibility within reach.

Undoubtedly I am impressed by the fact we have moved from pedestrian to supersonic travel in only a couple thousand years.

I am equally impressed by the certainty that if any government somehow gained access to a piece of cutting edge stealth tech from say, 50 years from now, it could float along at the speed of a balloon on the breeze and remain completely undetected even if it was firing on nearby targets.

So, would it not be reasonable to seriously consider the possibility that a society with a mere 1,000 more years of scientific inquiry under its belt could normally evade our ability to detect any vehicle they deployed within our atmosphere under all but a certain narrow range of situations dictated by natural law. (For example, a vehicle entering the atmosphere at high speed would create a great deal of heat, a portion of which would be radiant and possibly beyond the effective range of the craft's anti-thermal-detection tech. Or a "cloaked" vehicle skimming or moving under a hundred feet above the surface of the ocean creating an unavoidable wake/disturbance.)

If we can go from the Model T to the Ferrari in less than a hundred years, it's only logical to believe a species with even a mere two-century "jump" on us could possess technology we couldn't grasp more than the rudimentary natural laws it takes advantage of (assuming we had it available for direct observation).

As for "Spirits", the possibility of extra-dimensional life leaves us with very little room to even speculate about the capabilities of.

For anyone familiar with the scientific fictional-construct of the 2-Dimensional "Flatlander" life-form, you're familiar with the principles that support the reality that from the perspective of a 2-Dimensional observer, a 3-Dimensional life form such as Man would appear to have completely unfathomable, almost "godlike" abilities.

From the Flatlander perspective, we could "appear" (lay ourselves flat on their sheet of paper-like world) in their reality, and vanish or teleport at will. Their inability to fathom the PRACTICAL day-to-day ramifications of existing in 3 dimensions would render a large portion of our nature a completely impossible-to-unravel mystery for Flatlander scientists.

In the same way a 4-Dimensional life form could move forward or backward in time from our perspective, which would make them appear to be able to teleport or move at infinite speed across infinite distances, with no more apparent effort than it takes us to get off our beds. In reality, the 4th-Dimensional Being would consider what it was doing completely normal, and while they could effortlessly grasp the entirety of our nature, without refined time travel technology we could never understand then.

We'd be the Flatlanders then.

That's a being existing in only ONE more dimension than us, yet already we're into the inevitability of a being vastly more capable than we are.

No one besides individuals conversant with a depth of Physics-related knowledge could conceive of even the absolutely most basic attributes of a 5th-Dimensional Being.

If current scientific theory is correct about the number of dimensions, isn't it sort of ridiculous not to consider that one or more of the vastnesses of each of these dimensions could be inhabited? They could intermittently "appear" and disappear by means completely beyond our ability to detect, let alone understand.

My point is that what we call the "supernatural" could very well encompass Truths greater than the sum of our knowledge, all have rational explanations from the perspective of a sufficiently informed individual, yet remain a complete mystery to us from our limited perspective.

Hell, a being from a higher dimension might derive amusement on occasion by spooking the hopelessly limited member(s) of our species when they perceive us seeking to make contact by an absurd means. Who knows?

I simply don't consider the possibility to be the so-improbable-as-to-be-practically-impossible chance that EvilNed states such things are.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    One thing that hasn't been brought up yet,
    In specific regard to inhuman spirits of that we might consider to be either "good" or "evil" based on their actions.

A natural phenomena like say gravity or electrical current is there and available to be quantified and explored at our leisure. These are mindless forces of nature, that do not thing, and operate only insofar as natural law dictates.

If you consider a theory that focuses on a being presumed to be intelligent and self-aware (ETs, Spirits, Ghosts etc) then any solid scientific theory would absolutely require the consideration of the possibility that such intelligent beings have a minimum of ability equal to that of humans, and possibly much greater. (After all, the good scientist would consider the possibility that the inhabitants of a world that became fit and conducive to complex life-forms far earlier than Earth did could definitely have given rise to intelligent life far earlier than the rise of humanity. This could easily and logically explain the possibility of civilization(s) FAR more advanced than we are.

Referencing ETs in particular: Consider the pattern of advancement in our own arms race. Stealth technology doesn't require incredibly advanced scientific achievements in related fields. It's at its most basic the simple study of what you wish to remain unnoticed by, and then exploiting the weaknesses of the detection system.

After only 200-300 years of serious, systematic, UNIMPEDED scientific inquiry, man can already produce vehicles that travel quickly through the water, yet defeat sound-detection (Ie: Sonar). We have air-vehicles that do the same thing in their element. Every decade sees new developments. Thermal shielding to render infrared useless, and now we're up to synthetic materials that refract light waves, bringing actual invisibility within reach.

Undoubtedly I am impressed by the fact we have moved from pedestrian to supersonic travel in only a couple thousand years.

I am equally impressed by the certainty that if any government somehow gained access to a piece of cutting edge stealth tech from say, 50 years from now, it could float along at the speed of a balloon on the breeze and remain completely undetected even if it was firing on nearby targets.

So, would it not be reasonable to seriously consider the possibility that a society with a mere 1,000 more years of scientific inquiry under its belt could normally evade our ability to detect any vehicle they deployed within our atmosphere under all but a certain narrow range of situations dictated by natural law. (For example, a vehicle entering the atmosphere at high speed would create a great deal of heat, a portion of which would be radiant and possibly beyond the effective range of the craft's anti-thermal-detection tech. Or a "cloaked" vehicle skimming or moving under a hundred feet above the surface of the ocean creating an unavoidable wake/disturbance.)

If we can go from the Model T to the Ferrari in less than a hundred years, it's only logical to believe a species with even a mere two-century "jump" on us could possess technology we couldn't grasp more than the rudimentary natural laws it takes advantage of (assuming we had it available for direct observation).

As for "Spirits", the possibility of extra-dimensional life leaves us with very little room to even speculate about the capabilities of.

For anyone familiar with the scientific fictional-construct of the 2-Dimensional "Flatlander" life-form, you're familiar with the principles that support the reality that from the perspective of a 2-Dimensional observer, a 3-Dimensional life form such as Man would appear to have completely unfathomable, almost "godlike" abilities.

From the Flatlander perspective, we could "appear" (lay ourselves flat on their sheet of paper-like world) in their reality, and vanish or teleport at will. Their inability to fathom the PRACTICAL day-to-day ramifications of existing in 3 dimensions would render a large portion of our nature a completely impossible-to-unravel mystery for Flatlander scientists.

In the same way a 4-Dimensional life form could move forward or backward in time from our perspective, which would make them appear to be able to teleport or move at infinite speed across infinite distances, with no more apparent effort than it takes us to get off our beds. In reality, the 4th-Dimensional Being would consider what it was doing completely normal, and while they could effortlessly grasp the entirety of our nature, without refined time travel technology we could never understand then.

We'd be the Flatlanders then.

That's a being existing in only ONE more dimension than us, yet already we're into the inevitability of a being vastly more capable than we are.

No one besides individuals conversant with a depth of Physics-related knowledge could conceive of even the absolutely most basic attributes of a 5th-Dimensional Being.

If current scientific theory is correct about the number of dimensions, isn't it sort of ridiculous not to consider that one or more of the vastnesses of each of these dimensions could be inhabited? They could intermittently "appear" and disappear by means completely beyond our ability to detect, let alone understand.

My point is that what we call the "supernatural" could very well encompass Truths greater than the sum of our knowledge, all have rational explanations from the perspective of a sufficiently informed individual, yet remain a complete mystery to us from our limited perspective.

Hell, a being from a higher dimension might derive amusement on occasion by spooking the hopelessly limited member(s) of our species when they perceive us seeking to make contact by an absurd means. Who knows?

I simply don't consider the possibility to be the so-improbable-as-to-be-practically-impossible chance that EvilNed states such things are.
    A fascinating post and I agree with a lot of what you say. I actually consider it possible, in fact highly likely, that life can exist in other universes, and in other spacial dimensions within our universe. However, just accepting the potential existence of such things doesn't make it likely that this is the explanation for some, or even any, of the ghostly encounters people claim to have experienced. I would turn to the field of psychology for an explanation first, before I turned to (meta)physics.

That's not to say I think people who experience ghosts are mad or stupid. There are, however, a lot of factors involved in how human beings process sensory and cognitive information. The processes used are fantastically impressive in how they turn the mind-bogglingly complex world into something easily understood, but this sometimes causes information to be lost or misinterpreted. Of course people will swear up and down that what they experienced was "real", but obviously everyone makes mistakes and if we all could see which of our beliefs and interpretations of the world were wrong then we wouldn't hold those beliefs in the first place.

I'm not giving it a great description here, but read up on "psychology of anomalous experiences". It's fascinating stuff.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Let's get a few things straight:

You suppose that ghosts may actually be cloaked aliens, or ETs or some such thing. You suppose space travel and beings with a few centuries ahead of us actually coming to visit us. Well, that's not impossible.

Oh, wait, how big was the universe again? Oh, it's that huge? Yes, it's that huge. And how was speed of light achieved again? Oh, so it's only achieved by light itself? Ah. Got it. That means that any alien wishing to visit us would have to spend thousands of millenia to get here. For us, at our current top speed, it would take roughly 25,000 years to reach the end of our solar system. It's simply that huge. So here entereth the probabilities again. Yeah, sure, aliens might actually be here to visit us and be all cloaked and stuff. But the number of variables to be checked for that actually to happen are so improbable that anything, anything else might also be probable. Again, my ass could be talking like Bill Pullman whenever I take a shit. That's at least as probable.

For reference, take a look at this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._orbit.svg.png

That's how big our solar system is. Not the universe, our solar system.

As for travelling in the 4th dimension, you do know that the concept that time is the 4th dimension is something popularized by H.G. Wells in his book "The Time Machine" from the late 19th century? It's a convenient way of describing how things exist in time, as well as the regular three dimensions. But it's not a dimension like the others in any way.

You offered an explanation, but that explanation is incredible implausible, if you know what I mean. Do you know of any way to travel through time? Have you heard of anyone ever doing it? Unlike travelling in space, which we know we can do it just takes an awful lot of time, we don't even know where to begin looking in how to travel through time. Because time is not really a scientific concept. It's a human concept. It's a term we humans invented to categorize distances, days and nights. Time can even be personal. If I watch a film that I think sucks, I'm going to experience it as being slow and boring. If you like it, it'll probably fly by.

Time travelling is not the answer to anything. It raises way more questions than it answers