Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Capn Dallow

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Agreed, Los/Aces/Basscunt/Debbie, et. al.

Bring Brett back finally! I miss his drunken ramblings!

My drunken ramblings aren't nearly as funny or interesting... his are fantastic!

j.p.
    They were drunken?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    They were drunken?

Only the times I actually make sense -- that's how you know I'm drunk, you can read something I say and say to yourself: "Hey, he's being logical. The hell?"

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hells yeah. Brett is family around here. You can't just kick out a family member over an argument and expect the other members to take it lying down.

Hopefully the leaders will pay attention to the community's thoughts on the subject....
    Well said bass! I hope the leaders will listen to us, I hope it counts what we have to say?

United States
    I've been keeping my mouth shut about this so far, trusting that Admin has a good reason(s) for the good Capn's bannination.

I'm not particularly close to the Capn on these boards, and I've never met the fellow in the real world. So if'n they say it's Private, I have to respect that. But I liked the guy - he makes me laugh. That counts for a lot with me.

But, after all, it's technically someone else's Parlor that we're kidding around and arguing and criticizing in. There is such a thing as House Rules.

But the Capn's dismissal does seem arbitrary without an explanation. And that makes me a little nervous that any one of the regulars on this board could be "next". especially if there's an "Unwritten Code" that we're breaking.

I'm not demanding an explanation, just noting that there's a degree of erosion of trust that's happening in this case.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hells yeah. Brett is family around here. You can't just kick out a family member over an argument and expect the other members to take it lying down.

Hopefully the leaders will pay attention to the community's thoughts on the subject....
    Well keep this in mind folks, if they let him back we have to open the door to the other asswipes who made this place miserable for some people, plus I believe Andy and Neil made a final ruling on it.

Seriously we just need to move on. It's not like Brett has vanished forever, I am sure you all have his email or befriend him on FB if you are on FB. However, the more complaining is just going to probably get the thread closed.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post

I'm not demanding an explanation, just noting that there's a degree of erosion of trust that's happening in this case.
    Erosion is the key word here. Its probably happened before for good reason, but thats the trouble, it gets people thinking its happened before. its cumulative in terms of trust issues and on a small circle of regulars forum like this where plenty of us are on a first name basis that is the kind of stuff ive seen lead to forums becoming ghost towns many times before. Situations always arise where something may have happened for a reason or not, but the not knowing and higher profile nature of it gives more attention to the fact that it does happen and more big brother paranoia. like i said, it's a slippery slope of behind the back talking and distrust and grouping that should be left at the high school lunch room when picking a table. but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen on forums.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And again it's the process in by which it was done that's worrysome as well.

Was it blatant violations that got him banned or was it totally random?

The former there's no excuse for, the latter well...

Who's to say one day it won't be hells, deej, bassman or me that pisses someone off whose higher in the pecking order one day?

BAM, no more darth and that's just the way it is.

No life is not fair. Yes this forum is their deal, not ours. Understood.

But we put alot of time into this thing here as well.

I guess it's just a shock to the system is all. If it can happen to brett then it can certainly happen to me and it's disconcerting if the proccess by which it was done was capricious and arbitrary.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well keep this in mind folks, if they let him back we have to open the door to the other asswipes who made this place miserable for some people...
    Not necessarily. If you mean it opens the door from a policy standpoint, I suppose so. But that presupposes a lot on the part of the higher ups.

Then again, it presupposes alot that the higher ups would take into account our opinions, but it sounded like it was factored into the decision making process, per earlier statements in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    t's a slippery slope of behind the back talking and distrust and grouping that should be left at the high school lunch room when picking a table.
    Agreed.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well keep this in mind folks, if they let him back we have to open the door to the other asswipes who made this place miserable for some people.
    See that's where the difference is, imho. Those other asswipes were just that - asswipes to the community. The community as a whole was affected by their trolling, or whatever nonsense got them banned. In this case, it's a member that was largely respected and cared for by the majority of the community. Rather than most of the community being united for the banning of a member because of his problems, in this case most of the community is against it because of his helpful and friendly contributions.

As mentioned before by several people, of course we don't all know the full story. Whatever happened between Andy and Brett is their business and we have no right to know about it. All of these cries for Capn's return are based on what he's done in the past for ALL of us and how he's played a hand in the grand scheme of things. I mean...Capn's a staple of this place, imo. It's like MZ or Hellsing. These guys have all been here since before me and are very much a part of the HPotD experience. With any of those guys gone...it just wouldn't be the same.

I just hope that the problem can be worked out between the involved parties, as I think it would benefit the community in the long run. Here's hoping for the best!
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Jun-2010 at 05:34 PM.

England
    Its not the banning of capn that really concerns me here, I do personally think he is a good lad and am sad to see him go, but the reasons are down to those involved so i'll keep out of that. Its the crypt that concerns me more, I would rather any problems people had with me were just said straight to me, even if they are insulting, both on forums and out there in the real world

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Its not the banning of capn that really concerns me here, I do personally think he is a good lad and am sad to see him go, but the reasons are down to those involved so i'll keep out of that. Its the crypt that concerns me more, I would rather any problems people had with me were just said straight to me, even if they are insulting, both on forums and out there in the real world
    I disagree. The moderators are not kings and queens, they are a group who moderate forum discussion and its members. they need a private area to review complaints and come to a group consensus like "okay we all agree khardis has to go?" that is private to hide any in arguing, derailing or for the sake of the member if the raised punishable action is dismissed. -Or just to talk about forum management. We aren't the management and you don't go into the staff room of a restaurant or a library and listen in on a meeting just because your using the public facilities.

England
    I disagree. The moderators are not kings and queens, they are a group who moderate forum discussion and its members. they need a private area to review complaints and come to a group consensus like "okay we all agree khardis has to go?" that is private to hide any in arguing, derailing or for the sake of the member if the raised punishable action is dismissed. -Or just to talk about forum management. We aren't the management and you don't go into the staff room of a restaurant or a library and listen in on a meeting just because your using the public facilities.
    Thats fair enough, but its messages like this that I received this year from elsewhere that bother me...

dont like the way there is a lot of 2 facing going on behind the scenes.
    if u got a facebook page let me know.
    and i dont wanna start trouble but watch urself
    someone proposed to make u a mod cuz ppl like u are
    a responsible guy but someone pretty much back stabbed u.
    some people who u think are ur friends may not be.
    Now I wouldnt want to be a mod anyway, I have neither the time for it in my everyday life or the desire to be involved in the internal running of the forums, but if what was mentioned in that message is fact then it means somebody in the inner circle on here doesnt like me for whatever reason, and I would rather be aware of any problems I may have caused so I can moderate my behaviour if im being out of order anywhere and apologise to anyone if I have caused upset or offence, even if it is through PM's rather than in open discussion! Im also pretty thick skinned, so if people want to take the piss out of me it doesnt have to be done in secret, just throw it at me, I've probably heard worse

Super Moderator

United States
    "okay we all agree khardis has to go?"
    Hear, hear!

Oh, wait...sorry, gut reaction.

I agree with you in principle, Hellsing, but that only lasts till the practicalities of ownership and maintenance fees/responsibilities and the like come into play. This is a community, but it's not a community owned site and there's little that can be done when those with the keys to the kingdom make a decision. We can appeal, hope, support, offer practical ideas etc., but little else.

In general the mods and Neil & Andy have always been cool (from my point of view) when it comes to supporting a community atmosphere, so we'll see how things progress. Maybe some good can come from this; lessons learned etc.

In the meantime, I will continue to support the idea of fostering a community and hope Brett somehow gets brought back into the fold, but if there were personal issues that took a hand in things, that may mean that cooldown time is required.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 24-Jun-2010 at 06:24 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Thats fair enough, but its messages like this that I received this year from elsewhere that bother me...

Now I wouldnt want to be a mod anyway, I have neither the time for it in my everyday life or the desire to be involved in the internal running of the forums, but if what was mentioned in that message is fact then it means somebody in the inner circle on here doesnt like me for whatever reason, and I would rather be aware of any problems I may have caused so I can moderate my behaviour if im being out of order anywhere and apologise to anyone if I have caused upset or offence, even if it is through PM's rather than in open discussion! Im also pretty thick skinned, so if people want to take the piss out of me it doesnt have to be done in secret, just throw it at me, I've probably heard worse
    Wanna no a secret?

everyone on here hates a few of everyone else. sure we all thing we are great, why would anyone dislike us? but honestly because we are who we are the nature of this diverse world wide culture means there are people who hate every thing we post. and they put up a nice front because lets face it were all opinionated dick heads but few of us are genuine tossers to spend 5 pages just back and force constantly "being the bigger man". But in chats, online games and private areas i am sure some of us rag on others. i dont personally but like ive said before there aint anyone i hate enough to rag about and only 2 or 3 i dislike due to big, racist opinions. but yeah some people are gonna talk and bitch. its the internet. I'm sure people have said im an uppy little prick but i dont care and it shouldn't bother you either. If people didnt like you or want you here we wouldn't respond to your posts ad ignore you.
    No ones a saint, people will always bitch to let off steam, people meaning it is another matter entirely.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    BAM, no more darth and that's just the way it is.
    Not only no more darth in the future... but no record of there ever being a darth. The whole destruction of the history seems like an overreaction. Why diminish his lifetime contribution to the site?

The Crypt doesn't bug me. If people are going to talk about me they don't need a special forum to do it in. And they ARE going to talk. You just gotta have some thick skin about it. However, the admins need to do a better job of keeping it private, or keep the content limited to site business that is non-inflammatory and not particularly interesting.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.