Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead (video game) - Telltales

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Beat it last night. Anyone have questions?
    Yes, how does it compare quality/play time wise against the first episode?

When's then next one due out? Soon as this one was so late?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes, how does it compare quality/play time wise against the first episode?

When's then next one due out? Soon as this one was so late?
    The play time is probably the same or slightly less. The quality is about the same, but it lags in some parts for a couple of seconds. The story, itself, is pretty good. I cannot discuss it too much, because of spoilers. But I will mention it is dark and kind of creepy. A certain character from the 1st chapter has a nasty death.

There is currently no release date for the 3rd chapter. It was 2 months before the 2nd chapter was released.

Administrator

England
    There is currently no release date for the 3rd chapter. It was 2 months before the 2nd chapter was released.
    I thought the deal was one a month? So the 3rd should have been out around now?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I thought the deal was one a month? So the 3rd should have been out around now?!
    That is correct, but for some reason the 2nd chapter took twice as long to be released.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    That is correct, but for some reason the 2nd chapter took twice as long to be released.
    Rumour has it the companies in a bit of a bad way money wise and theres been some behind the scenes trouble behind the delays on all their projects,

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Rumour has it the companies in a bit of a bad way money wise and theres been some behind the scenes trouble behind the delays on all their projects,
    That really sucks if true, as The Walking Dead has been Telltale's best project to date. Seems they've gotten a handle on how to tell a great story, and they did it with classic gaming sensibilities.

Gonna finish it today, but so far, I'd recommend it to everyone on this board.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    That really sucks if true, as The Walking Dead has been Telltale's best project to date. Seems they've gotten a handle on how to tell a great story, and they did it with classic gaming sensibilities.

Gonna finish it today, but so far, I'd recommend it to everyone on this board.
    The story is very good in this one. Very creepy and nasty. The animation style helps with the atmosphere, too.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 30-Jun-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: sp

United States
    I just got done watching it on Youtube, and even though the guy playing sometimes made shitty choices, I was pretty enraptured by it.
    Maybe they'll get faster at cranking them out over time, but I like very much what I see so far.
    I'd actually sit through a movie version of something like this, or the original story. I like the animation style, too. 3D the bejesus out of it.
    I'd like to see the first two eps so far cut like a movie instead of having to hear whoever's playing it doing his commentary over it. Maybe someone will edit it all together and I just need to be patient.
    I haven't played either yet, but my kid bugs me to get them. I'm about sold enough to goof around with it a few times myself.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I'd like to see the first two eps so far cut like a movie instead of having to hear whoever's playing it doing his commentary over it. Maybe someone will edit it all together and I just need to be patient.
    Not a bad idea. I have a camera, but no video editing software. I would not mind doing it.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 30-Jun-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: sp

England
    Not a bad idea. I have a camera, but no video editing software. I would not mind doing it.
    Same here.
    That was a great episode. Bit of a downer and very solemn as it should be.
    What a strange hybrid of entertainment formats this "game" is. They really have nailed the comic and tv show at the same time. Gonna go back and finish my 2nd save and see how different it really is. Im already looking forward to playing all 5 episodes in one chunk and I feel the same way about the tv show now it has a mid season break. Its a smart way of delivering entertainment to people.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Same here.
    That was a great episode. Bit of a downer and very solemn as it should be.
    What a strange hybrid of entertainment formats this "game" is. They really have nailed the comic and tv show at the same time. Gonna go back and finish my 2nd save and see how different it really is. Im already looking forward to playing all 5 episodes in one chunk and I feel the same way about the tv show now it has a mid season break. Its a smart way of delivering entertainment to people.
    Same here. I love the comic book style art. I haven't tried playing through with different choices yet, but I probably will once all 5 are released. IMO, the first two episodes have gotten most things right from both a game and story standpoint. I liked Telltale Games series to this, but I was pretty skeptical when I heard they were doing a Walking Dead game, but they've done a terrific job.

I have found most of my choices tend to be consistent with the majority. Interesting that most choices seem to have 80+% of players choosing one of them. I had one choice in Episode Two where I was not in the majority.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasNorth View Post
    Same here. I love the comic book style art. I haven't tried playing through with different choices yet, but I probably will once all 5 are released. IMO, the first two episodes have gotten most things right from both a game and story standpoint. I liked Telltale Games series to this, but I was pretty skeptical when I heard they were doing a Walking Dead game, but they've done a terrific job.

I have found most of my choices tend to be consistent with the majority. Interesting that most choices seem to have 80+% of players choosing one of them. I had one choice in Episode Two where I was not in the majority.
    Taking the "bad" route changes the dynamic of the storyline quite a bit. I was pleasantly surprised by the story changes on my 2nd run through. I keep exposing Clementine to some nasty violence so god knows what effect that will have on her. Another character chose not to save me when they had the chance as well. Something I'm not gonna forget and will have to address later on.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Taking the "bad" route changes the dynamic of the storyline quite a bit. I was pleasantly surprised by the story changes on my 2nd run through. I keep exposing Clementine to some nasty violence so god knows what effect that will have on her. Another character chose not to save me when they had the chance as well. Something I'm not gonna forget and will have to address later on.
    It would be an interesting twist if they made some of the "bad" choices end up being good. e.g. perhaps exposing Clementine to violence will actually make her more apt to survive later in the story.

One thing I would like to see is a few more ambiguous choices that prompt a bit more parity in the % of players choosing one or the other. The "car" choice in episode 2 was like that... I think it showed like a 51 / 49 split.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just beat it, first off my choices

i chopped the guys leg off
    i fed the kids, the dude with the glasses and lilly
    danny shot the woman, not me
    i leant a little more to lilly this time compared to kenny the first time since hes putting family before the group which makes him seem more reckless and selfish
    i opened the barn door, but lets be honest you have to have half a brain cell to not know what was going to be there.
    i headed upstairs and found him but got back in time to stop clem eating
    i was direct and told people it was human meat
    i tried to resuscitate larry, kenny crushed his head with a salt lick
    i tazed danny, but then lilly got him with a sickle
    as he lay there saying how it was right to eat people i chose to kill him since if we left they would either force the bandits onto us or just keep luring innocent people into the trap, clem saw and got wary of me.
    tech guy showed up with a laser pointer he used to distract andy
    i pleaded with brenda, but if im honest i saw in the storm i was slowly pushing her to the legless zombie on the landing and my plan was to get it to grab her
    i didnt kill andy, punched him a few times but then left.
    then i took the food in the abandoned car figuring it was probably from the bandits and we needed it badly and convinced clem wearing the hoodie was temporary

surprised on the whole this time bar being in the 50% margine for the finale that i was in the 88% for all choices bar the car one. considering i went very against the grain with the first i wonder if we all just did similar things, or if in a rushed production time they narrowed the possible choices to lesser, more diametrically opposed moral extremes than many shades of grey this time.

On the whole its got a waaaaay more predictable story, but its also got a lot more production value, this time i only encountered 3 QTE's and everything else was fully player controlled live action or puzzle solving. It was longer, more atmospheric and a lot more enjoyable than the first.
    My only complaint was the puzzles were way, way easier but it made the whole experience feel more like a cartoon for adults than a videogame and im super excited for the next episode and honestly? im enjoying this more than the comics right now. Very glad i paid the £20 preorder price for the whole season on steam

Super Moderator

UK
    Just started playing Episode Two - so far, so good - looking forward to playing the rest of the episode.

So far I'm up to...

just after some of the others from the Motel arrive, and Clementine and Duck go to play on the swing - I stopped there so I can spread the episode out a bit, and not just barge it in one session. Just had the bit where the bandits attacked us and we had to use the tractor for cover - that was a nifty sequence.

In terms of handing out food - I gave it to the hungry military guy, whose name I forget, Clementine, Duck, and ultimately ... ugh, forget her name now too, but the bitchy woman on top of the RV, after Carol refused to take the food.

Anyway ... onwards ... I'm a bit suspicious of these farm folks...we'll see, I guess.

-- -------- Post added 05-Jul-2012 at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-Jul-2012 at 05:09 PM ----------

Just finished Episode 2 - rather enjoyable. As Danny said, the plot for this one is fairly predictable, but it's still creepy and enjoyable to get where it's going.

I made pretty much all the same choices as Danny, except...

I didn't kill Danny - initially I did, but when I saw Clem saw me, I replayed that segment ... speaking of which, the moment you have to grap the gun is a little tricky to get your cursor over the point you need to click ... a slight wrinkle there ... and I've still got Carly with me, but in my other save I've got the 'tech guy'.

I did retry the moment where you scream out "don't eat that!" to see if I could get them all to not eat it, but then have to re-do it a third time and go with my original choice where I stopped Clem from eating it.

I too ended up siding more with Lilly this time around, but I wasn't particularly aiming to as I'm more loyal to Kenny, yet he's pushing forth in a direction that I can't always agree with ... perhaps he's the "Shane" of this group?

All-in-all - good stuff, and I'm looking forward to episode three.