Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD & Blu-Ray Purchases Thread - (DVD's! Do you buy them New or Used?...)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have digital services such as Vudu, and just about all of my collection on digital, but I still can’t bring myself to get rid of my collection! The only time I’m okay with selling one is if I’ve upgraded the title from DVD to Blu Ray, but I still have tons of DVDs that have yet to be released on the newer format. Plus, for me, there’s always been something special about physical media. Purchasing the disc, peeling off the plastic, the case in-hand.....there’s something “special” about it. If the internet goes down or skynet takes over, I’ll still have my physical copies.

Although, as Ned says, having to lug all those titles around can be quite troublesome. My recent move was the first in about 13 years and I definitely did take note of how much extra it was to move! I think I ended up with about 7 large boxes/containers of DVD/BR.

MZ, no offense intended with the OCD thing! I wasn't intending to make light of the disorder, but more of myself for the way I’m SO particular.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Although, as Ned says, having to lug all those titles around can be quite troublesome. My recent move was the first in about 13 years and I definitely did take note of how much extra it was to move! I think I ended up with about 7 large boxes/containers of DVD/BR.
    I'm moving in October and if I haven't sold off all my DVDs by then I'm throwing them away.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm moving in October and if I haven't sold off all my DVDs by then I'm throwing them away.
    You might be able to get rid of some here if you’re willing to ship.

....If this place even still has the marketplace area??

EDIT: yeah, it’s still there. Last post was a year ago....
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    MZ, no offense intended with the OCD thing! I wasn't intending to make light of the disorder, but more of myself for the way I’m SO particular.
    No offence taken whatsoever, dude, don't worry about it.

A mere dusting of an FYI to spread a bit of knowledge about a condition that is so misunderstood or colloquialised, but I 99.9% took it as a jumping off point to talk about why I personally struggle to move any 'defunct' titles in my collection. I really connect to that scene in High Fidelity where he's reorganising his vinyl 'autobiographically'. His life was written out in music, mine's written out in movies.

Do you have charity shops that you could donate them to?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Do you have charity shops that you could donate them to?
    Yeah, but the end result would just be the junkyard anyway, wouldn't it?

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, but the end result would just be the junkyard anyway, wouldn't it?
    You don't know that for certain. Some of them might get sold - and that money goes to a good cause - so it'd be worthwhile doing, I'd say. Rather than just binning it all, you might allow the charities to make a little dosh for their cause(s), and anything they don't want they'll recirculate to other such shops or they'll bin themselves - but at least the opportunity to let them make a bit of money has been given.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Maybe there are certain electronics-type stores in your area that will give you a few bucks for bulk collections that they’ll turn around and sale individually? There are a couple big chain stores here in the US that will do that. In certain cases you might only make one buck for a dvd, but hey...it’s better than just tossing them, I suppose. Pawn shops will sometimes do the same.

Rising

United States
    Easiest way to get rid of unwanted CDs and DVDs: sell them on eBay, at first as single items, and if they don't sell that way then by lots. Don't expect to be paid much, though, except for the rarer or more sought-after-by-collectors items (ex: I once got paid $10 for a CD, no covers, nothing, just the CD. Yet another time I only got a miserable $1 out of a double-CD complete with everything.) But it still beats the hell out of having to throw them away. That is truly dumping your money straight into the trash! At least you recover some of your money the other way.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As usual, studios rerelease original films on BR when a new sequel is coming to theaters, so John McTiernan’s Predator is getting a new edition this August. It’s a normal thing, but what makes this one worth mentioning is that previous releases of the film have had notoriously bad picture quality. One of which was so laughably bad, it earned the nickname of the “wax museum edition”. No word yet if they’re going to put in the effort to remaster the film, but there’s some sort of hope that they’ll finally give the film a release it deserves.

There’s a big chance that they’ll just repackage one of the previous releases, but one could hope. The Alien series got a fantastic release years back, so it’s past time they give the same care to Predator. Hey, McTiernan is out of jail now, so they could even produce some good special features reminiscent of Alien...
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    You have to think like a woman.

Organize by color. This she will understand.
    But, what if you're colour blind?

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Snaffled up some more genre releases on-the-cheap.

The Bone Yard (88 Films)
    Delirium (88 Films)
    Cat in the Brain (88 Films)
    Street Trash (88 Films - this one has a 2 hour making of)
    What Have You Done To Solange? (Arrow Video)
    Dolls (101 Films)

Gonna have to rejig my DVD/BR shelves once more - I've gone over capacity again.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dolls is on my soon-to-see list. Let us know how the release is, please and thank you, sir!

Super Moderator

UK
    Dolls is on my soon-to-see list. Let us know how the release is, please and thank you, sir!
    Aye, I've been on a bit of a Stuard Gordon kick recently - getting the BRs of Re-Animator and From Beyond. I've never seen Dolls, so I'm intrigued and the trailer looks cool.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Barnesandnoble.com is having a 50% off sale, including Criterion Collections.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Shout has announced that the 80’s remake of Dragnet will be one of their October releases. Much like The Burbs, I’ve always loved this film and felt like it was underrated. Yeah, it can be cheesy as hell, but it’s long been a favorite and one I haven’t seen on Blu Ray. Hopefully like The Burbs it will have great documentaries and special features!

- - - Updated - - -

A Nightmare On Elm Street Collection

This is an older release and I stumbled upon it at Walmart for quite cheap, so I decided to give it a try. I’ll watch these films on TV during the Halloween season, but this would be the first time I’ve owned them or seen them in HD. They look about what you’d expect - it’s good picture quality for the age of the films. I hear that all of the special features are ported over from previous releases, but because I’ve never owned the series, they’re all-new to me and quite enjoyable.

I still have to watch through every film, as well as the commentaries, but it’s seeming like a good little collection. Most members here probably already own these films, but if not, I recommend this cheaply priced set.

The Matrix Collection

As I'd discussed with Ned in another thread, this is a very worthy set with top-notch video/audio quality and tons of features. Really the only downfall of the series is the now lackluster CGI special effects work, which is more evident than ever in these high definition transfers. That’s really a minor quibble, though. The set itself is fantastic and I suggest any fan of the series or science fiction pick it up.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Jul-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: .