Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOTLD Gun Error?

United States

NOTLD Gun Error?

When Vince shoots Ben dead at the end of the movie, it appears that he is using a Ithaca 37 Shotgun

which if so, there is no way he left one hole in the middle of Ben's head like that. In fact, a shot from outside like that may have barely hit Ben with any pellets, if hit him at all. Thoughts?

United States
    unless he was using a slug...

http://www.ithacagun.com/

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    unless he was using a slug...

http://www.ithacagun.com/
    Beat me to it.

United States
    Guns shoot little metal rocks called bullets long distances. The longer the gun, the longer the distance. When a bullet hits something it often makes a hole. If that something is a person's head it can be fatal.

The man who shot at the house Ben was in used a gun that was fairly long, thus it could shoot a fairly long distance. The hole that appeared in Ben's head was completely consistent with that of a bullet.

I think it's interesting that with my rudimentary understanding of guns the whole thing is very plausible.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Undisclosed
    Philly may have found a bona fide continuity error. We discussed this in the chat room, and strayrider seems to believe that a slug fired from that gun would have taken Ben's head off. I'll defer to his knowledge of firearms over my own, the extent of which is limited to "big gun" (rifle), "small gun" (pistol).

I think the real problem here is that Karl Hardman only knew how to create one type of bullet wound when doing the make-up effects.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I think the real problem here is that Karl Hardman only knew how to create one type of bullet wound when doing the make-up effects.
    Also an exploding head effect would have (ironically) cut back on the emotional impact of seeing Ben fall back, motionless, with a tiny hole in his forehead.

capncnut
    <peowww>

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Also an exploding head effect would have (ironically) cut back on the emotional impact of seeing Ben fall back, motionless, with a tiny hole in his forehead.
    Agreed. The ending also wouldn't have worked if the posse was simply carrying a headless body to the bonfire.

Btw, they did film an exploding head for NIGHT, probably for the ghoul at the window, but it wasn't used. There exists a photo of Regis Survinski crouching next to a mannequin with the head completely blown away.

Scotland
    Btw, they did film an exploding head for NIGHT, probably for the ghoul at the window, but it wasn't used. There exists a photo of Regis Survinski crouching next to a mannequin with the head completely blown away.
    Fascinating! I had no idea! I'm not sure if the general public would have been ready for it in 1968 though - think of the reaction the exploding head in Dawn got ten years later, people reportedly ran out of the theatre (although that was a living human and not a zombie, so the impact on the audience would of course be different).
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 08-Jan-2010 at 06:28 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Guns shoot little metal rocks called bullets long distances. The longer the gun, the longer the distance. When a bullet hits something it often makes a hole. If that something is a person's head it can be fatal.

The man who shot at the house Ben was in used a gun that was fairly long, thus it could shoot a fairly long distance. The hole that appeared in Ben's head was completely consistent with that of a bullet.

I think it's interesting that with my rudimentary understanding of guns the whole thing is very plausible.
    Your sarcasm here is quite entertaining! For informational purposes, there are RIFLES and SHOTGUNS. Rifles shoot "bullets", single rounds of ammunition, which generally propel lead balls of varying sizes at varying speeds over varying distances creating varying size holes (all the varying dependent on what type of gun, what type of ammo, etc.) Shotguns are loaded with "shells" which usually contain some type of buckshot...think if a bunch of little bitty pieces of metal like a BB gun. Where a rifle is designed to shoot one round with a high degree of accuracy when aimed properly, a shotgun is designed to not even really be aimed, but just to point in a general direction, and spray the target with a bunch of "little bullets". Firing a shotgun from that distance, from the outside to the inside...I dont think many of the pellets inside the shell would have made it thru the window.

As for that shotgun also being capable of firing slugs, I am unaware of that capability, then again, I am not an expert on shotguns.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Fascinating! I had no idea! I'm not sure if the general public would have been ready for it in 1968 though - think of the reaction the exploding head in Dawn got ten years later, people reportedly ran out of the theatre (although that was a living human and not a zombie, so the impact on the audience would of course be different).
    Survinski claims that it was removed because the UK wouldn't allow it. but I think probably the effect didn't register on film the way that they'd wanted. It makes no sense that the exploding head wouldn't have been left in when you consider that the UK had cut out the rest of the violence anyhow.

NIGHT's distributors have often been blamed for changes made to the film before it saw release, but other than the awful jump cut when the Coopers are arguing in the basement, I think the film was left as originally edited by Romero.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 08-Jan-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Scotland
    Survinski claims that it was removed because the UK wouldn't allow it. but I think probably the effect didn't register on film the way that they'd wanted. It makes no sense that the exploding head wouldn't have been left in when you consider that the UK had cut out the rest of the violence anyhow.

NIGHT's distributors have often been blamed for changes made to the film before it saw release, but other than the awful jump cut when the Coopers are arguing in the basement, I think the film was left as originally edited by Romero.
    It was fairly trimmed down for UK release - the current Contender DVD was accidentally culled from a censored British 1960s print. Although it's annoying if you're expecting the full uncut movie, it is somewhat interesting because it's a chance to see an extremely rare cut of the movie that hasn't been exhibited or distributed anywhere else since the early '70s. In it, Karen kills her mom with just two-to-three stabs (as opposed to about ten or whatever) and the feasting scene goes on for about half as long as in the real version. There are supposedly a few other minor trims and substitutions, also.

Cutting the headshot out from the get-go seems wrong, because obviously the censors are happy to cut out anything they see as offensive anyway, so there's no sense in trying to second guess them and do their job for 'em.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    As for that shotgun also being capable of firing slugs, I am unaware of that capability, then again, I am not an expert on shotguns.
    When we go deer hunting, since I don't have one of my own, my dad uses a rifle and I use one of his shotguns with slugs in it. If it was a shotgun slug, it wouldn't leave a pretty little hole in his head in the front.
    And I always thought a rifle would leave a nice hole in the front, but blast a pretty good chunk on the way out the other side.
    Maybe if it hit a little more off to the side it might take out more of a side chunk. And rifle bullets aren't balls.
    They are made to slice right through you.

Undisclosed
    Having shot a deer in the head with a slug I can tell you it is not as clean as in the movie, but it does not take the whole hear off. The eyes do occasionally pop out, but the head stays mostly intact.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Your sarcasm here is quite entertaining! For informational purposes, there are RIFLES and SHOTGUNS. Rifles shoot "bullets", single rounds of ammunition, which generally propel lead balls of varying sizes at varying speeds over varying distances creating varying size holes (all the varying dependent on what type of gun, what type of ammo, etc.) Shotguns are loaded with "shells" which usually contain some type of buckshot...think if a bunch of little bitty pieces of metal like a BB gun. Where a rifle is designed to shoot one round with a high degree of accuracy when aimed properly, a shotgun is designed to not even really be aimed, but just to point in a general direction, and spray the target with a bunch of "little bullets". Firing a shotgun from that distance, from the outside to the inside...I dont think many of the pellets inside the shell would have made it thru the window.
    I refuse to learn anything that would impair my ability to enjoy Night.

La la la la la la la la la la - I can't hear you....
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.