Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Given 18 Rating In UK

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Given 18 Rating In UK

Imo, the reason they gave is bogus because previous installments are chock full of "“strong violence and language." So what changed? My guess is that placing the game in modern theaters as opposed to eras where there are barely people who remember it makes it "more real", so to speak and therefore subject to much closer scrutiny.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...ing-In-UK.html
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Hmm...what was the first rated? wasn't that 18 too? I wouldn't worry - it won't affect whatsoever the amount of people who'll buy this game!!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The difference, in terms of violence, between a 15 rating and an 18 rating, for either a film or a game, normally hinges on how detailed the violence/suffering is and how prolonged it is. For example, if the new Modern Warfare has more prolonged death animations with guys lying screaming on the ground for 30 seconds, bleeding to death, then there's the reason.

I wouldn't worry. An 18 rating is not like an AO rating in the States, all retailers will still stock it. A lot of the big selling games of the last year or two were 18 - Fallout 3, GTA, etc.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 21-Oct-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, no worries at all for a game rated 18 in the UK. It makes it more desirable even.

I believe MW1 was rated PEGI-16, if I remember correctly. The difference here being, this time MW2 was rated by the BBFC instead.

It is odd though, considering - as they say in that article - World At War was given a 15, when it's actually really quite violent. There's a lot of (arguably tasteless) focus on violence. Particularly blood gushing out of blown-off limbs, some of which is shown in slow motion ... oh, and the flamethrower.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    If it represents real events though, I'd say it borders more on the educational (re: flamethrowers) - we know the allies and the germans/japanese used them - so in a way it's a reflection of reality.

I know that's wafer thin really...but there you go.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    If it represents real events though, I'd say it borders more on the educational (re: flamethrowers) - we know the allies and the germans/japanese used them - so in a way it's a reflection of reality.

I know that's wafer thin really...but there you go.
    That's so wafer-thin, even Mr Creosote could stuff it in his gob and not vomit all over the restaurant.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    That's so wafer-thin, even Mr Creosote could stuff it in his gob and not vomit all over the restaurant.
    My new sig, thanks!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    omg I inspired a post that inspired a sig....*claim to fame*

OK so I was clutching at straws!!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    My new sig, thanks!
    Kick ass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hmm...what was the first rated? wasn't that 18 too? I wouldn't worry - it won't affect whatsoever the amount of people who'll buy this game!!

The rating system is a joke anyway. Those under the age of 18 just have their parents buy it if the store itself doesn't let them slide. I personally have never witnessed a kid being asked for their I.D or turned away so...ya.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I got ID'd for GTA San Andreas - I was about 24 at the time, I think....I asked the girl carding me (no older than 16) and her boss came in and said "don't be offended, we ID'd a 31 year old yesterday"....I said "that probably says more about your shop keeping skills than my age"....!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I got ID'd for GTA San Andreas - I was about 24 at the time, I think....I asked the girl carding me (no older than 16) and her boss came in and said "don't be offended, we ID'd a 31 year old yesterday"....I said "that probably says more about your shop keeping skills than my age"....!!

And here i thought that only happened with ciggarettes !!

England
    Has anyone seen the fury thats erupted among PC gamers over this game to do with the multiplayer server code? Theres a huge boycott of it going on now & if people stick to it then sales on the PC will be very poor, which is where the franchise started!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    what's wrong with da code then? Bloody PC users!!

Super Moderator

UK
    I've heard of this issue, but don't know about it. I don't play online, and I haven't played COD on PC since #2.

I could play it on PC now that I have my lush Quad Core, but fuck it, just ordered it for 360 instead. I really enjoyed COD4 on 360, as I did with COD5. I also got COD3 after COD4, on 360.

However the PC market does need to be kept sweet ... and indeed I'm playing Fallout 3 on PC - actually, I finished Fallout 3, and I've just finished Brotherhood of Steel, and will soon be going on to play Point Lookout.

I still like to dabble in the intensity of PC gaming, but in 2007 I just decided (mostly due to the PC I was using to game (and everything else, like editing) not being up to snuff anymore for PC games) to move the bulk of my gaming over to Xbox360 - which opened me up to a whole host of titles I wouldn't have had otherwise too.

However, when the new Hitman game comes out, I'll continue the trend of buying it for the PC.