Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Thing remake...

Administrator

England

The Thing remake...

A little bit of news over at AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30745
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Kazakhstan
    hmmf. well the original was great, the first remake is one of the greatest films ever made. so what's the point?

this film would be crap with cgi imo!

plus the music, tension and general goodness of the original would be so hard to beat...i sometimes wonder whether these remakers are stupid, arrogant, or just have king kong balls...

i'm kinda against these crappy horror movie remakes cos from now on if you say "dawn of the dead" to some random person, they'll probably think of the remake, and if they thought the remake was crap, it kinda buries the good name of the original.

mind you i'm sure fans of the original thing hmmfed a bit when the '82 version came out, so i'll just have to see...

cheers for the heads up

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    why does this need to be remade again is this like number 3?

just come up with some new ideas hollywood remakes suck!

Administrator

England
    It will get remade for something like $30,000,000 with the aim of getting a young audience in who haven't see the original(s)...

The reason it is getting remade is simply that they predict with a survey that they will make more than $30,000,000 (or what ever it is).

Ie: It's simply a business exercise...

Anyway, that's the feelings from my cynical mind
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    After seeing the Assault at Precinct 13 and The Fog remakes...

and considering the scifi channel original movies shown on weekends..

there will be excessive profanity
    an updated urban hip hop/heavy metal soundtrack
    younger 'hip' characters
    hot young women who can't act to save their lives
    cardboard character and development
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 17-Nov-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    A little bit of news over at AICN...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30745
    *grumbles*.......

If this thing ends up being a **** storm.... ...I might have to riot...

The original soundtrack of the first one was great....Id hate to see it updated with the latest "in" music...I like the ambient tension building score....

*sigh*...

The more I think about it...the more I think how they are going to screw it up bad....
    Last edited by Terran; 17-Nov-2006 at 03:10 PM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Kazakhstan
    lol i love the thing soundtrack too...it's like they picked up a bass guitar for the first time, chopped a couple open Es, and said...ah that'll do.

not to detract from it, it's extremely ominous and effective. a bit like the dun-dun dun-dun dun-dun music from dawn78.

Undisclosed
    I bet they make a love interest in the film...

or even better Childs (or the Childs equivelent character) ends up getting played by a girl as a love interest for MacReady...or the other way around...

*shakes head*

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know why you guys seem surprised? .....

It doesn't bother me. The original was good and the first remake is friggin great. Another remake won't hurt the existing film. Just like Romero's.....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I don't know why you guys seem surprised? .....

It doesn't bother me. The original was good and the first remake is friggin great. Another remake won't hurt the existing film. Just like Romero's.....
    Im not really surprised ...more angry than anything....I thought the new Dawn sucked as a remake and was only decent as a genre related movie...some people like Meat Market....

I would prefer some sort of loosely based sequel than a remake....

but *shrugs*...Id bet on it being horrible

capncnut
    "You gotta be f**king kidding..."

United States
    Nothing could top the Carpenter remake, but what the hell... it's a good movie, maybe they'll nail it. 99.99% chance they'll blow it, but I can hope, right?

United States
    Often a film is remade because it's dated in some ways. Dawn has the blue zombies, old haircuts/clothes, old mall stuff, old style film stock, for example. I don't think day is dated. The Thing is not dated at all. No Low Budget suffering, ultra top notch effects, great music and no anacronistic fashion. A kid wouldn't say "this is an old movie" cause they wouldn't know.
    I would say, however, that the Carpenter Thing was more of a readaptation but also a remake. The Thing from another world was remake worthy because the original had bad 50s effects. Obviously it was a good choice at the time.
    If the do (pretty likely) horribly screw up The Thing it won't bother me cause I have no deep attachment to it. I truly loved it but it's not going to personally insult me like Dawn 04.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    I don't think day is dated. The Thing is not dated at all. No Low Budget suffering, ultra top notch effects, great music and no anacronistic fashion. A kid wouldn't say "this is an old movie" cause they wouldn't know.
    I agree with you with the exception of one effect in the movie....

Remember when Windows, and the rest are strapped into the chairs...and it turns out the middle guy is infected....and he rips windows up and the like whole body splits in half to a whole mouth...

And the Thing attacks Windows....bitting him and flipping him up and down ...breaking the overhead lights eventually releasing him throwing him against the wall...

Well while the Thing is flipping Windows up and down...Windows looks very fake in several brief glimpses we get of him...(rag doll ish ....and puppet like...bouncing around in impossible fashions)...

Thats a very bad a effect and might have been better if it were cut out all together.....like the head splits....bites into Windows...they throws him against the wall...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Well while the Thing is flipping Windows up and down...Windows looks very fake in several brief glimpses we get of him...
    Agreed. I also HATED the effect in the kennels when the dog beast sprouts what can only be described as a massive flower. Apparently it was a star-like mouth with rows of canine teeth!
    Last edited by capncnut; 19-Nov-2006 at 08:01 PM.