Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hospital

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

The Hospital

How was the Hospital overriden and how were the living defeated in that battle?

They seemed to have a pretty orderly way dispose of the dead and had no problem containing a mass of them in behind the chained double doors.

So why did they abandon?

Theories?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I imagine they had control of the situation at first, but as people kept coming in injured and the noise kept attracting more dead, which in turn would bite other people....it piled up too quickly and they had to bail out. Then the temporary base across the way was also over run. Most of the soldiers were probably headed for Atlanta like Rick. Of course they probably weren't as lucky...

How long were there even doctors there? I'm reminded of Planet Terror and "self preservation comes to mind". Once those doctors figured the shit out, don't you think they would have ran?

My big question is how did the buildings get holes blown in them? The soldiers were using rockets against the dead?
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Nov-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: 1

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I imagine they had control of the situation at first, but as people kept coming in injured and the noise kept attracting more dead, which in turn would bite other people....it piled up too quickly and they had to bail out. Then the temporary base across the way was also over run. Most of the soldiers were probably headed for Atlanta like Rick. Of course they probably weren't as lucky...

How long were there even doctors there? I'm reminded of Planet Terror and "self preservation comes to mind". Once those doctors figured the shit out, don't you think they would have ran?

My big question is how did the buildings get holes blown in them? The soldiers were using rockets against the dead?
    Nice explanation. The undead virus would spread like wildfire through hospitals; starting in the morgue and crossing over to the incoming injured and physicians working in close proximity to all. This madness had clearly disspitated by the time Lincoln awoke.

Regarding the holes in the building, I suspect the Military was foolish enough to use 'shock and awe' tactics similar The Battle of Yonkers in WWZ. On another note, if that Yonkers battle is faithfully translated to the big screen, that may be the most awesome cinematic display in zombie history!
    Last edited by Gemini; 04-Nov-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: better

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    @ Bass

Grenades being thrown maybe?

Last edited by darth los; 04-Nov-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Grenades being thrown maybe?
    That's a good explanation. Although....I would have to go back and check, but I believe some of the holes were two or three floors up. Maybe they were using the grenades inside, but the holes looked like they were made from the outside to me. Of course I know nothing about this sort of stuff. Maybe one of our military members can comment on what sort of holes they looked like...

United States
    I agree with what everyone is saying...believe me if I were a hospital worker as soon as I had an inkling that the dead had risen I would be outta there.
    I had said in another thread that someone took care to put the gurney/bed in front of Rick's room. When I watched it the third time I watched and there wasn't any other beds in the hallway. So, that for me backs up that someone took time to care eventho Rick was comatose and might not ever wake up.
    As for the grenades or whatever being launched at the hospital imo the military was getting overrun and possibly it was a last ditch effort to kill the zombies and keep the numbers of them down. Also could have been orders from HQ to destroy the hospital and that might be also why there wasn't anyone in it,but, then the military got overrun before it was accomplished.
    Last edited by Debbieangel; 04-Nov-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: adding info

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's what I was thinking too, from the inside. I don't see any reason someone would throw a grenade or fire artillery at a floor four stories up.

Remember all the wiring coming down from the ceiling as well? Perhaps it got too hot in a hallway or someone was cornered from both side of the hallway and decided to clear some space with a frag?

Now before you say he might have blown himself up too just think of the alternative of letting those things catch you.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Rick's lucky the whole place didn't burn to the ground before he woke up. People just running around tossing grenades.

I wondered about the wire hanging down in the hallways. The drop ceiling could collapse from an explosion elsewhere in the building. Just the vibrations can bring down those flimsy ceilings....but the wire? It would take a lot of force to break and pull down electrical wire. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it and it was just cool looking set design.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It might be cool looking dsign but if it's there it has to be explained how/why.

Isn't that the same standard we hold GAr to?

Super Moderator

United States

Capt. Harris: Snakebite leader, Ripper Bravo Six, we're gonna need you soonest be advised I've got zeds in the wire down here, over!

Phantom Pilot: Roger your last Bravo Six, Snakebite lead we can't run it any closer. We're hot to trot and packing snake and nape but we're bingo fuel. It's your call, Six actual, Over.

Capt. Harris: Snakebite leader, Bravo Six, for the record, it's my call. Dump everything you got left ON MY POS. I say again, I want all you're holding INSIDE the perimeter. It's a lovely fucking war. Bravo Six Actual and Out.

Phantom Pilot: Roger your last Bravo Six. We copy it's your call. Get em in their holes down there. Hang tough, Bravo Six we are coming cocked for treetops. Whiskey to Echo... Snakebite Two, this is lead. Last pass on zero niner. Watch my smoke to target, expend all remaining. Follow my trace...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    That's a good explanation. Although....I would have to go back and check, but I believe some of the holes were two or three floors up. Maybe they were using the grenades inside, but the holes looked like they were made from the outside to me. Of course I know nothing about this sort of stuff. Maybe one of our military members can comment on what sort of holes they looked like...
    There were tanks nearby there, yes? Maybe from the main guns? Or rockets from the choppers? Maybe somebody was panicked & started firing wild, especially if say, a fellow soldier IN the tank or chopper just turned...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los
    It might be cool looking dsign but if it's there it has to be explained how/why.

Isn't that the same standard we hold GAr to?

The hallway wires are the new "carboard wall".
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Nov-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: 1

United States
    *to the rescue*

it's hard to tell, really. the hospital building that rick comes out of seems to have some debris hanging out of the building, as if there was a force from inside. but a single grenade would not be likely to do that sort of damage. i manned a mark-19 40mm grenade launcher in iraq, and the only buildings i lit up were not concrete structures, but kind of like mud-hut type dwellings. also, on that building, it appears that the blocks have been knocked out in an even fashion, there is no jagged or busted edges, so my guess is that maybe as more and more people were dying, they knocked a wall out which faced the back lot and loading docks to move the bodies out faster.

the 2nd building he sees with all the military equipment in the front of it has more tell-tale marks of some sort of explosions going on. there are plenty of charred areas which might indicate a fire of some sort. the edges of these holes are also very uneven and a lot of debris can be seen, so perhaps this building was fired upon with a barrage of 40mm grenades or a few AT4's.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    *to the rescue*

it's hard to tell, really. the hospital building that rick comes out of seems to have some debris hanging out of the building, as if there was a force from inside. but a single grenade would not be likely to do that sort of damage. i manned a mark-19 40mm grenade launcher in iraq, and the only buildings i lit up were not concrete structures, but kind of like mud-hut type dwellings. also, on that building, it appears that the blocks have been knocked out in an even fashion, there is no jagged or busted edges, so my guess is that maybe as more and more people were dying, they knocked a wall out which faced the back lot and loading docks to move the bodies out faster.

the 2nd building he sees with all the military equipment in the front of it has more tell-tale marks of some sort of explosions going on. there are plenty of charred areas which might indicate a fire of some sort. the edges of these holes are also very uneven and a lot of debris can be seen, so perhaps this building was fired upon with a barrage of 40mm grenades or a few AT4's.
    Well, thank you for your service and your insight.

That's Bad ass by the way.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

The hallway wires are the new "carboard wall".
    DO NOT get me started on that again.

I'd hate to be labled a GAr basher.

United States
    The hospital is just difficult. As I said in one of the other threads, to me the 28 Days Later-ish start is a weakness of TWD.

I have admittedly mixed beliefs about the hospital situation.

Given that there wasn't a mass of zombies in and around the hospital we have to assume one of a couple things.
    (1) The hospital was evacuated while things were still relatively under control.
    (2) The hospital was overrun, but the zombified patients and staff all left.

If the hospital was evacuated then I find it very odd that a law enforcement officer in relatively good physical health would be left behind. There didn't seem to be a lot of evidence that A LOT of the patients were left behind, only him. But we don't really know that they didn't leave tons of patients behind, and they all died and shambled off in the time he slept.

The idea that the hospital was overrun makes more sense to me. The physical condition of the place looked like a battleground. The idea that the gurney was placed as a barricade to Grimes room stands up in that scenario. All we really need to account for is all the zombies that should've been around, and that's not too hard to explain. We didn't see much of the hospital. They could've been inside still. Or they could've followed whatever few survivors fled.

It's fun speculation though.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.