Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Zombie - Fingers crossed...

Administrator

England

Fort Zombie - Fingers crossed...

Paradox Interactive has released more details on its upcoming action/RPG title, Fort Zombie. In Fort Zombie, players will find themselves in Piety, Indiana, a small town facing a horrifying infestation of zombies with a relentless thirst for blood. Survival is only possible through finding refuge in a single, abandoned building.

Players must focus their efforts on building up this structure, finding and training survivors, and venturing out into town to look for supplies. Of course, all of this must be achieved while combating the gruesome undead, who will stop at nothing to make you part of their company.

Features:-
    * Take control of a single building in town as you prepare for total zombie infestation
    * Gather supplies and find survivors by day, defend your building by night
    * Players can engage in specific single missions within the campaign and spend hours building up the ultimate fortress
    * Unique character building and reward system – each day brings new missions, each with different potential rewards. How you utilize and level up your survivors will greatly affect your chances of avoiding an ultimate zombie demise

Talk is it will cost $10

More:-
    http://worthplaying.com/article/2009/9/30/news/68923/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Interesting! ANy news on the formats it'll be released under?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    wow, looking pretty promising. perhaps someone's been lurking in here listening to all of us bitch about the lack of good living dead games? seems to have a lot of elements that many of us have been wanting in a zombie game...

i was hoping for some gameplay footage, but regardless, that looked well worth 10 bucks in my book. any word on whether it's pc only or a console download? (would check myself, but gotta head out to class pronto)

nice find, neil.

Administrator

England
    The graphics look basic, but who cares... http://www.kerberos-productions.com/...239153#p239153
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    hmm, sounds much smaller than what I'm hoping for...

I want a city ala Fallout3, gameplay ala Fallout3, levelling system ala Fallout3, and frantic all out scaryness and intensity of L4D
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States
    Paradox is a company I love, but I would not buy this game on release day! P'dox tends to take a little while to optimize and patch their games up to a level where they can be considered to be meeting their ambitious potential.

That said, I know I'll be buying it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    so from what i've found so far, seems this is a pc-only release...however, even though like symph, i'd love an epic fallout 3/GTA/dead rising hybrid game, this looks like one of the best concepts for a zombie-themed game to come out in ages.

so i'm thinking i'll be getting it regardless of the format, pc or XBLA download (unless it would come out only for ps3 or wii, i'm not going to buy a new console)...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    hmm, sounds much smaller than what I'm hoping for...

I want a city ala Fallout3, gameplay ala Fallout3, levelling system ala Fallout3, and frantic all out scaryness and intensity of L4D
    I too want this, especially as it'd make Symph - in his own words - "shit my pants and dump my girlfriend".

Still sounds like an interesting game, but indeed, I want a full-on Fallout 3 style zombie infestation game - with shamblers.

United States
    If your looking for a good zombie role playing game... then avoid Fort Zombie like the plague.

Bad graphics engine. Looks like the Ultima 9 engine from ten years ago.

Movement and camera controls are poor. You can use the arrow keys or wasd controls. Unfortunately instead of moving like in 99% of all first person shooter games your character will turn and move in that direction. Why they implemented this is unknown, but it makes the game difficult to control especially inside buildings.

The camera controls are even worse. There is no free look with the mouse. Instead you have to use a combination of the right mouse button and the mouse wheel to look around. Not at all easy to maneuver indoors.

Combat is bad. Your character won't just attack a zombie standing right in front of him. First you have to get it lined up exactly. Then there is a percent change to hit. So you will end up mashing the mouse 1 button while trying to move left or right to get your character lined up for a successful attack.

When you kill a zombie carrying a baseball bat, axe, or handgun your unable to loot their corpse. If you see something laying on the ground you can't just pick it up. Instead you have to use a search function and there is a percentage chance you find something.

It's possible there is a decent game in there somewhere, but it's not worth $10. Save your money and get a decent zombie game like Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 instead.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 13-Nov-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    that just broke my heart man. i had hope for this based upon the premise...

maybe they'll do a decent port of it to XBLA...

when the fuck are we going to get a really great zombie game? l4d is okay if you're into super-zombies and runners, dead rising is okay if you want cartooney, over-the-top violence...but i want a well developed zombie game that takes itself rather seriously and involves leveling up your characters, rescuing survivors, finding/fortifying safehouses, scavenging for food and supplies...and no goddamn, stupid, mtv-generation running "infected"

*sigh* maybe one of these days...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    that just broke my heart man. i had hope for this based upon the premise...

maybe they'll do a decent port of it to XBLA...

when the fuck are we going to get a really great zombie game? l4d is okay if you're into super-zombies and runners, dead rising is okay if you want cartooney, over-the-top violence...but i want a well developed zombie game that takes itself rather seriously and involves leveling up your characters, rescuing survivors, finding/fortifying safehouses, scavenging for food and supplies...and no goddamn, stupid, mtv-generation running "infected"

*sigh* maybe one of these days...
    As I've said before, essentially Fallout 3 with Romero zombies.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Bah, I'll be missing this one then - seems like a step back to me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    ... i want a well developed zombie game that takes itself rather seriously and involves leveling up your characters, rescuing survivors, finding/fortifying safehouses, scavenging for food and supplies...and no goddamn, stupid, mtv-generation running "infected"
    Prof. Chaos if that is what your looking for then drop the 10 bucks and buy Fort Zombie. You can do those things in the game. Just know it's a work in progress, lacks the polish of a more expensive title.

If you have a newer pc with a dedicated ATI or NVIDIA card, then likely FZ will look better on your machine after the latest patch.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.

United States
    Fort Zombie is currently on sale at Gamer's Gate for $2.48

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FZ/fort-zombie

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Actually, the graphics engine itself doesn't seem to bad at all - look at the lighting and sun-dappled shadows and the specular reflections on the road surfaces - the problem seems to be the low texture resolution used and the "quickie", poorly-proportioned character/object models.

Still, the game looks like it might be fun for under two quid...