Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women and Children first!!!

Undisclosed

Women and Children first!!!

Something I noticed while watching Land tis past weekend. In the opening scene when the Riley and crew are raiding the town and Dead Reckoning comes raoring thorugh, all the zombies are watching the sky flowers and Big Daddy is going around trying to make them stop looking up, notice when he grabs the zombie and the gun fire makes its head come off.

Just before that happens, Big Daddy pushes the rest of the "family" out of the way. He first pushes a child, then an adult female and is the trying to push the "dad" out of the way when the gunfire takes his head off.

I think this was an undertone the GAR threw in there to try and show Big Daddy's evolution. That he is beginning to fell compassion.

What is the normal human reaction to a dangerous event? Save the Women and Children first!

That is exactly what Big Daddy did in the scene, he save the child first then the woman and was unsuccessful in saving the man.

I never caught that until this weekend and I have watched Land probably 10 times by now!

I just thought that was an interesting thing that GAR put in there!

Thoughts??????
    "I Like Your Christ, I Do Not Like Your Christians,
    Your Christians Are So Unlike Your Christ."
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

United States
    I first noticed that when BD put the zombie "out of his misery" after he caught fire. The compassion or ANY kind of feelings were "still there" or "coming back".
    I started looking for more of "that type" of hint....I never noiced the scene you referred....thanks!

peace
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 29-Mar-2006 at 01:08 PM.

United States
    Hmmm, I noticed that the first time around but it didn't click in my head until after the movie. I wonder if anyone else noticed that those hero zombies who followed and mimicked Big Daddy like Number 9 and Butcher didn't join in on the feasting in Fiddler's Green. Well not that I could see.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn
    He first pushes a child, then an adult female and is the trying to push the "dad" out of the way when the gunfire takes his head off.

I think this was an undertone the GAR threw in there to try and show Big Daddy's evolution. That he is beginning to fell compassion.

What is the normal human reaction to a dangerous event? Save the Women and Children first!
    And in sharp contrast, the citizens of Pittsburgh were all looking out for themselves. Great observation dmbfanintn. Never noticed that.

Undisclosed
    Nice observation about the Green's residents when they are being attacked. It is especially noticable when the guy gets dragged down and he grabs the woman by the ankle and brings her down too.

they were simply concerned with themselves!

However, I still believe that Howard Sherman as Bub pulled off the compassionate zombie the best.

When he found Logan dead in the freezer, I like his take on the mourning zombie better than Big Daddy's.

I see these things as the continued evolution of GAR's story. Remember, his original idea was to have a lone stumbling figure being chased by a group with guns. After they shoot the figure, it was to reveal the he was the last human left and the zombies had finally taken over.
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn
    However, I still believe that Howard Sherman as Bub pulled off the compassionate zombie the best.
    No doubt about it. Bub and Logan's relationship is the one bright shining light in the dismal gloom of Day of the Dead.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've never noticed that part of the flick before, the women & children bit you speak of, I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I next watch the movie, which might be quite soon - starting to get a hankering to see it again.

I did pick up on the compassion element though - stomping on the head and shooting the one on fire - but never saw the 'trying to save the family' part before...interesting.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    stomping on the head and shooting the one on fire - but never saw the 'trying to save the family' part before...interesting.
    It's right before that. The head that he stomps on belongs to the "father" of the family.
    ~Mohandas K. Ghandi

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    My favorite part of the Big Daddys zombie "horde" are the two teenage zombies that keep holding hands throughout the entire movie.

Undisclosed
    Good eye, I just realized that whole family thing now. I remember seeing it but I did not really deem it relevant or anything.
    "They are coming to get you Barbara!" - Johnny, Night of the Living Dead.

United States
    WOW! Looks like I missed that one as well. That was a great opening scene. GAR doesn't make a film in years and still manages to deliver better quality stuff than most of the crap released today. Time to watch LOTD yet again.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dmbfanintn View Post
    Something I noticed while watching Land tis past weekend. In the opening scene when the Riley and crew are raiding the town and Dead Reckoning comes raoring thorugh, all the zombies are watching the sky flowers and Big Daddy is going around trying to make them stop looking up, notice when he grabs the zombie and the gun fire makes its head come off.

Just before that happens, Big Daddy pushes the rest of the "family" out of the way. He first pushes a child, then an adult female and is the trying to push the "dad" out of the way when the gunfire takes his head off.

That is exactly what Big Daddy did in the scene, he save the child first then the woman and was unsuccessful in saving the man.

I never caught that until this weekend and I have watched Land probably 10 times by now!

I just thought that was an interesting thing that GAR put in there!

Thoughts??????
    I never noticed that before either. I might just have to pop it in and see what other easter eggs i can find. Thanks.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I noticed the compassion he had for his fellow zombies too but again... just felt that's a basic human component. He really carried something of Bub over from Day to Land but it bothered me. I dont want him to humanize zombies. I liked them as they were. Stupid and scary.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I noticed the compassion he had for his fellow zombies too but again... just felt that's a basic human component. He really carried something of Bub over from Day to Land but it bothered me. I dont want him to humanize zombies. I liked them as they were. Stupid and scary.
    I agree. There have been other "monster movies" where the ghouls had intelligence but imo zombies are better left "stupid". For some reason when they exhibit intelligence they cease to be scary. It humanizes them too much. I think part of it is that they for the most part look human. They don't have fangs, claws or wings to make them look all demonic, so to speak. Not too say that they can't show any signs of intelligence at all. It's aparent within the first 10 minutes of NOTLD, when hinzman uses a rock to smash the car window, that they have atleast rudimentary intelligence and problem solving abilities. But this was to get at food, an extention of the survival instinct. It was in the furtherance of an animal instinct, not the expression of compassion, love or revenge.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"