View Poll Results: When will man land on Mars?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2020-2029

2 18.18%
  • 2030-2039

4 36.36%
  • 2040-2049

3 27.27%
  • 2050-2059

1 9.09%
  • 2060-2069

0 0%
  • 2070 or later

1 9.09%

Thread: When will man land on Mars?

Administrator

England

When will man land on Mars?

Arthur C Clarke was obviously miles out.. What do you recon?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    2030-39 ... a completely random guess, but surely we can't be that far away from such an event.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    2030-39 ... a completely random guess, but surely we can't be that far away from such an event.
    Watch the 50th anniversary Sky at Night lat night... Back in 1957 they were suggesting in the 1980s and 1990s
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    2040-2049. It will probably be much later.

Will the average human be able to survive the psychological aspect of the mission. The journey could take between 6-8 months and that doesn't include the actual mission itself or the trek home. Expect casualties, I'm not sure if it can even be pulled off.

Undisclosed
    We need a couple of revolutionary ideas to get us there.....so Im going to lean to later rather than sooner.....I hope I see it happen within my "natural" lifespan....but I wouldnt be too surprised if it didnt happen in my "natural" lifespan...

Im going to go for 2070 or later.... the enviromental issues we will likely be facing in that time frame may speed up this process or slow it down horribly....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Can you image where we might have been if the 60s/70s push into space had continued and we hadn't slowed down somewhat like we have....

Image if just the money from the Iraq invasion had been ploughed into Nasa
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Image if just the money from the Iraq invasion had been ploughed into Nasa
    Oh dont even get me started!

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Oh dont even get me started!
    I always remember Carl Sagan being interviewed on a UK chat show back in the 80s...

He was basically complaining how the US wasn't sending a mission to Halley's comet. He then mentioned how many B52 bombers were on order, eg: 100. (Can't recall the exact figure)

The cost of one bomber would have paid for a mission, but as he termed it, "only 99 B52 bombers would compromise national security"...
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Carl Sagan is great....that Cosmos program is one of my favorites.....though I cant seem to get anyone else I know to watch it

capncnut
    Used to watch it as a kid and I still have the book that accompanied the series. Phenomenal programme.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Carl Sagan is great....that Cosmos program is one of my favorites.....though I cant seem to get anyone else I know to watch it
    Cosmos was a BIG influence on me in the 80s... Watched the series, read the book etc.

When I did computing at college, my final project - keep in mind everyone else was doing like record collection catelog software etc - I did "Graphic Gravity Simulator".

You could define upto ten objects and the time frame/speed and it would simulate/plot their gravitation influence on each other. You could just about simulate the solar system, although over long periods it did tend to blow apart

The program was fully GUI (something quite unusual in the 1980s) and very interactive and intuitive... I just don't think the lecturers understood it as I didn't get marked very well for it!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im gonna say the late end of the 20's, though i doubt it will be succesful, does crashing and burning count?

capncnut
    "Well, there's no one alive but at least we got there!"