Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September 11th

Super Moderator

Germany

September 11th

Feeling kind of morose today. Still have the visual memories of what happened etched in my mind. Doing my best to contain the rage against the intolerant radical religious culture that led to the attacks. I can't even watch any of the movies about 911 because quite frankly it still is a raw wound for me. My blood begins to boil thinking of the damage done to the victims and their families. I will never forget.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While I do feel sorry for the victims and their families.... I have to agree with what a local radio DJ said this morning. "9/11" has almost become a catch phrase. The day and the events should always be remembered, but these days the words "9/11", "September 11th", "World Trade Center", etc seem like some kind of a gimmick. They're thrown around all the time and it just seems...I dunno. Weird.

It's like people have already forgotten the events, but throw around the "names" like it's the cool thing to do...if that makes sense. I'm not sure I'm getting my thoughts on this across the way I want to so i'll shut up.

Maybe the dj was right when he said that in a way, it's become what presents and Santa Clause are to Christmas.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Not sure I agree to the extent you and dj are saying. I do think it is a political catchphrase for many, but not yet an xmas like event. It may come to that, but I suppose when Hallmark starts providing a 9/11 section in their greeting card displays we'll know that your vision is coming to be.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That outrage is fine, it's normal. But we must beware of those in power who would use that to further their agenda just as the Bush administration did.

While the wounds were still fresh they sounded the drumbeat to war in Iraq and nobody argued. Nobody dared. Not enough people anyway. They could have invaded the country of their choosing if they just said they had a role in the 9-11 attacks. It just so happens that they chose Iraq. That's a tragedy.

I don't think there's a single sane person who was against going to war in Afghanistan and getting the sons of bitches that attacked us that day. Hopefully we can get back to that.

God bless the people and their families who lost loved ones that day. God bless us all. We're gonna need it.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched a show on Channel 4 last night, a doc about "The 9/11 Hotel" ... the Marriott, or whatever it was at the foot of the Twin Towers and the people who survived it.

It was interesting for once, in all these docs, to see where these people had gone after the day, what happened to them and such, including a hard bitten lawyer who made a concious decision to be nice to people from that day on, who invited the man who saved his life to his daughter's wedding and such.

Quite an interesting doc, the imagery from that day is still immensely powerful, and if you try to even think about "what was it like to be there", your mind just freaks out because it's incomprehensible to even imagine what it must have been like.

I remember hearing a girl at school (this was when I was in the upper sixth form, not long into the second year of sixth form you see) come in and say "a plane just hit the World Trade Centre" ... nobody really paid much attention, except to say ... "that's a bit random..." and suchlike, as well as mention the small plane that flew into the Empire State Building.

Then I got home, and just as I walked into the lounge, I saw one of the towers collapsing on TV (this must have been a playback considering the time I got back home), but then I was like "holy sh*t" ... even then I didn't grasp the severity of the situation for quite a long while afterwards.

I think I find 9/11 more affecting since attending my first funeral in 2005, ever since then I've found anything to do with people dying (not in movies, but real life stuff ... or fictional stuff played out really well - like "The Royale Family: The Queen of Sheeba") ... anyway.

It was quite disturbing afterwards, like towards Xmas time or just after, some of the first year high school kids were doing art projects based on 9/11, and it was essentially a whole series of Twin Tower cardboard and paper mache versions of the real buildings, some on fire, some with the tails of planes sticking out of them ... really odd and somewhat disturbing in a way, but it also displayed the lack of full scale comprehension these kids had of the event.

Awful stuff, but surprisingly compelling ... in that it's unimaginable, but it was REAL ... and yet amidst all this tragedy and death, there were countless selfless acts, people helping each other out.

It's just a shame that it takes a major and symbolic tragedy for such positive light to shine.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Awful stuff, but surprisingly compelling ... in that it's unimaginable, but it was REAL ... and yet amidst all this tragedy and death, there were countless selfless acts, people helping each other out.
    I agree. I always watch the documentaries on the Discovery channel about how it happened, how people made it out, what caused the collapse, etc. It's kind of depressing but I find very interesting for some reason. The misses hates it and says I'm messed up for wanting to watch it over again.

Undisclosed
    Forgot about 9-11 with the hurricane coming.

England
    I remember coming home from work & seeing the towers on fire on the news,it actually took me a while to figure out it was really happeneing & wasnt just a scene from the latest blockbuster they were showing!
    R.I.P. to everyone who died that day,not just in the towers but those on flight 93 & 77

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Atleast once a generation there's an event that occurs that changes everything. An event where it's impossible to forget what you were doing the exaxt moment you found out about it. This was ours. It's a shame that a mere 7 years hence the meaning of that day has been blurred.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I think the best thing to do Is just to put It behind us.

Undisclosed
    I remeber gettting dressed for class which got cancelled 10 mins after it started. My dad and I were talking about stuff and for some reason he had the t.v. off, which is strange. Because almost always has Fox News on. Then one of my mom's Republican cronies called and left a msg on our answering machine. Something about some buildings in New York on fire. My dad and I asked each other wtf is she talking about? So, we turned the t.v. on and saw it. A few minutes later the buildings collapsed on live t.v..

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Two words: Inside job.

9/11 was a tragedy, and it's a shame the government let it happen. There's a documentary out right now called "Fabled Enemies." It has a BBC reporter claiming that Building 7 collapsed a full fifteen minutes before it fell. If those were my family members that died on 9/11, I would sue the government for dereliction of duty and criminal neglect. Then I would take the money and start another secessionist movement in Missouri.

If the government refuses to protect its own people, and its own buildings and airspace, how can we expect them to protect and uphold the constitution? Therefore, all federal laws, bi-laws and statutes are considered null and void, and Missouri would be forced to seperate from the Federal government.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by horrormad93 View Post
    I think the best thing to do Is just to put It behind us.
    And give up the most potent political tool of the last quarter century !?!

United Kingdom
    Quite an interesting doc, the imagery from that day is still immensely powerful, and if you try to even think about "what was it like to be there", your mind just freaks out because it's incomprehensible to even imagine what it must have been like.
    Have you seen the documentary by the two French guys who were doing a doc on the NY Fire Service at the time? Incredible. The area looked liked Silent Hill after the towers collapsed... everything covered in a thick layer of grey ash, eerily silent and empty and still "snowing" ash, then a massive alyer of warped metal and such covering this inferno underneath that stayed hot for days.

I remember hearing a girl at school (this was when I was in the upper sixth form, not long into the second year of sixth form you see) come in and say "a plane just hit the World Trade Centre" ... nobody really paid much attention, except to say ... "that's a bit random..." and suchlike, as well as mention the small plane that flew into the Empire State Building.

Then I got home, and just as I walked into the lounge, I saw one of the towers collapsing on TV (this must have been a playback considering the time I got back home), but then I was like "holy sh*t" ... even then I didn't grasp the severity of the situation for quite a long while afterwards.
    Same here... I was at school waiting for the bus home when someone told me and I didn't believe them... it took several days of watching the footage on TV before I really believed it, it just didn't look real.

It's just a shame that it takes a major and symbolic tragedy for such positive light to shine.
    Sort of like our generation's Titanic.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I was...erm...in bed with my gf...having a lazy sleep in....our room mate knocked onto the door and said "two planes have just hit the world trade centre!"...we kinda didn't think about it, thought a light aircraft group had flown out of control or something, we came down just as the 2nd tower collapsed...it never sunk in, until a week or so later I realised just how devastating and tragic the whole thing was. What really brings a tear to my eye is the insurmountable loses that people experienced, coupled with unreal displays of heroism and valor...it was a true spectacle to see that many people coming together to help people survive...I'll never forget the looks on people's faces during that tradegy...a true nightmare for civilisation.

I too watched the documentary the other night, and nearly shed a tear at the story of the Irish guy who was in one of the buildings at the time, only to realise later on that his sister and niece were both in the plane that crashed into the North tower...that was horrible, such a tradegy. I'm not afraid to admit that this distresses me, I love human beings, and to see this amount of people have their lives destroyed really sticks in my throat. What's truly inspiring is the amount of beauty that came out of it...

But what's really pissing me off is people, especially politicians, using the deaths of 3000 innocent people as a weapon to wage war against arab nations and to create secular and insular nationalism within the US. Mainstream media even did it over here...my particular favourite of The Sun was "365 reasons why we should go to war in Iraq" followed by 365 quotes of victims of 9/11...ridiculous, and a very sad day for humanity that people have lapped this **** up.