Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Argento and Romero Cuts of Dawn...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

The Argento and Romero Cuts of Dawn...

Did anyone else notice that Argento used the original audio tracks for some of the dialogue, and in the Romero version these lines are delivered with a slightly different intonation, ie: redubbed in the studio?

Most notably when Roger is in the WGON chopper:

"Looks like a...shopping centre...one of those big indoor malls"

and Stephen:

"Some part of instinct, memory, what they used to do...."

Now as for an interesting point, I used to have a version of Dawn released under the "4-Front" label (which was a subsidary of Polygram Entertainment) and this version was even more cut down than the UK video release (which was released by some company beginning with E) Anyway this version had the original delivery of Stephen's line in Dawn and not the one found in the cinematic version or Romero's extended version - which is obviously touched up in the studio.

Now the version mainly on sale in the US contained the redubbed voices but every other copy of Dawn released in the UK was identical to that...except for the 4-front version. Odd.

And what about the line that changes from release to release? the gang are on the roof whilst Franny is downstairs and they're looking at the BP Vans, there are two versions of the line there...

"Do you think we can start them?"

"you haven't spent enough time on the street"

and

"we've gotta block those entrances, those trucks are the answer....we put one at each door"

Obviously they were part of the same string of dialogue and Romero chose the former and Argento the latter but what got me was the 4-front version contained Argento's line, and everything else including music and SFX was from the Romero version.

anyway I just thought I'd share that with you.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Now as for an interesting point, I used to have a version of Dawn released under the "4-Front" label (which was a subsidary of Polygram Entertainment) and this version was even more cut down than the UK video release (which was released by some company beginning with E).
    Well the original company that released Dawn on video in the UK was Intervision way back in 82 or 83 and there were less cuts in it than the 4 Front version (Project 107 arm bite was left untampered among others but still not fully uncut). But as another interesting point, it had the EXACT same Argento truck quote because the 4 Front release was essentially an edited down version of this cut. This is known as simply the UK Theatrical Version. Argento edited for Europe and GAR handled English language - 'cos we kinda fall under the two, it was amalgamated. Also because the Euro version was called 'Zombi', the very first UK edition eliminated every trace of the title 'Dawn Of The Dead' from the opening and ending credits and was retitled 'Zombies'. This is why the 4 Front edition has that appalling yellow and red title at the beginning 'cos the Intervision version had 'Zombies' flash up instead. Confusing I know but we got there in the end.
    Last edited by capncnut; 19-Jan-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Undisclosed
    Interesting stuff, to point out, i've always wondered that myself, why some of the audio was different.

With the exception of some of the music choices, I've always got a kick out of the Argento cut of Dawn, there are some half decent head shots that were never in the other cuts. And argentos version always seemed more like the "horror movie" cut of Dawn, as apposed to the more comic book fun style of Romeros cut.

Undisclosed

Question yep!!!

These are all interesting points here,what always had me thinking seeing both versions is that:

The american cut makes it seem like a real contender as far as popular movies go.
    With the argento cut it would make some people not to think much of the film because of its soundtrack choice and unique angles and cuts.

Notice how some foreign zombie flix are sort of either stupid or poorly made and makes most of us think they are retarded.

As i mention before on this forum "do you think Dawn would of had the same impact on fans if we only had the argento version"?

My point is do you think other zombie flix out there may have been better or more apealing if they to had american distibution and editing?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    Notice how some foreign zombie flix are sort of either stupid or poorly made and makes most of us think they are retarded.
    Yes, plenty!

As i mention before on this forum "do you think Dawn would of had the same impact on fans if we only had the argento version"?
    No, it wouldn't. IMO, the Argento cut is TERRIBLE (aside from a little extra gore, like the headshot of the JC Penney's zombie that got pulled through the door). If the Argento version was the only version, Dawn would not only NOT be one of my favorite films, but I doubt I would ever watch it again.

My point is do you think other zombie flix out there may have been better or more apealing if they to had american distibution and editing?
    Hell, yes! Them crazy furriners don't know what they all is doin'! For example, I reckon these two scenes'll make my point:

Castin boob-hungry midgets as kids (Burial Ground) and dressin' SWAT team fellers up in pink tu-tu's and makin' 'em prance around (Hell of the Living Dead). And don't even get me started on the dialogue and "plots" in them there Fulci movies!

Ya'll wouldn't see none o' that there crazy stuff in no God-blessed American movie, that's for dang sure! Stars 'n' Stripes Forever!
    DEATHBREED: A Zombie Novel
    by Todd Tjersland, The Visionary Overlord of American Horror
    Creator of The Necro Files and Faces of Gore

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Tjersland View Post
    IMO, the Argento cut is TERRIBLE (aside from a little extra gore, like the headshot of the JC Penney's zombie that got pulled through the door). If the Argento version was the only version, Dawn would not only NOT be one of my favorite films, but I doubt I would ever watch it again.
    There's 2 extra scenes in that cut that are priceless! "Like a ****in' charm!" and when Taso is told how many zombies are in front of the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Tjersland View Post
    And don't even get me started on the dialogue and "plots" in them there Fulci movies!

Fulci was way ahead of his time! All the holes and nonsensical plot lines and dialogue makes the movie interactive. The viewer has plenty of gaps to fill in. Use your imagination.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Fulci was way ahead of his time!
    I agree with you completely. Fulci, Bava and Argento.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Fulci was an inept filmmaker with somewhat good ideas. He's the kind of guy you'd want to write Poe stories and then have those stories adapted into films by GOOD directors.

Undisclosed

Talking Night Of The Zombies!

you know with regards to my earlier point,one movie i had in mind that would have been better if it had american distribution and editing is:

NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES,i always felt that movie was almost a worthy picture i had bought that and didnt really regret it,i feel with alittle more efford it could have also been a classic,i dig that character Santoro especially when he goes bonkers!
    plus how can you ignore the tiits on that chick when she paints her face and takes her top off!

anyone feel me?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    ... Hell of the Living Dead?

You mean Hell of the Living Dead? You know why it's called that? Because it puts it's viewers through hell.

United States
    you know with regards to my earlier point,one movie i had in mind that would have been better if it had american distribution and editing is:

NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES,i always felt that movie was almost a worthy picture i had bought that and didnt really regret it,i feel with alittle more efford it could have also been a classic,i dig that character Santoro especially when he goes bonkers!
    plus how can you ignore the tiits on that chick when she paints her face and takes her top off!

anyone feel me?
    I feel ya, bro. I love Hell of the Living Dead. It is bad, but in a "so bad, it's good" way. It's one of my favorite bad zombie movies along with Burial Ground. They make a fantastic double-feature. I would much rather watch those two movies than anything by Argento, Bava, or Fulci, except maybe Black Sunday.

Undisclosed

Red face but..

HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD its like ZOMBI it is another title because my version is called NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES dont ask me what the difference is.

i think why i believe it would have been better is mainly the end,i was just as young when i first saw this as i was when i saw DAWN for the first time and i must say that the ending of this movie really scared the shiiit out of me!!

DAWNS ending wasnt any more pleasant,but it was elaborated and this movie was just plain haunting it made me really feel what a Zombie apocalipse would be like!

United States
    I remember comparing Night of the Zombies vs. Hell of the Living Dead and not noticing any substantial difference in run times, but this was back in the mid-90s and my recollection is foggy. I picked up the Bruno Mattei double-feature DVD with Rats: Night of Terror and Hell of the Living Dead and enjoyed them both very much.

What I liked best about Hell was that the U.N. created the zombie virus to wipe out the African hunger problem, by making them eat each other! LOL Reminds me of some other (not so crazy) conspiracy theories...

Undisclosed
    i always felt hell of the living dead could have been a great one
    if it had only eased up on the stock footage, dawn rip offs
    then youd have a very good original idea
    A.F.A.!!!!!!
    Artichoke Fondlers Anonymous !!!

Death Count of friends playing Zombie DND: 8

Eddy- Face accidently smashed with a hatchet by a fellow survivor, Invasion Day 4
    Jake- Shot in the back by the police as he robbed a Sports Authority, Invasion Day 1
    chris- bitten while defending home, shot by chester
    annie- wrists slashed by nader and eaten alive
    richard- torn to pieces after being pulled from atop his SUV by zombies, managed to shoot his gas tank in the process
    nader- killed by th explosion of richard's SUV
    carl- tortured to deah by nader (infighting got nasty)
    jake- shot by carl in the stomach

Undisclosed

Red face hum..

i agree the stock footage was pretty lame,but thats what i was talking about is that it had the potential or more potential than alot of other foreign zombie flix to really be a contender!

since that movie was made after DAWN AND ZOMBIE 2 did you notice that they took alittle of each location wise they show alittle city horror as well as jungle horror!

you have to admit though the endind was as cold and empty as a zombie fick can get, you see people in the bar looking at the madness on t.v. and "bam" the horror is right outside the door and no mercy is givin!!
    " dam i think it frightened me more than DAWNS ending i think do to the strings playing at the end of DAWN it made it very elaborate!!