Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And the father of Fran's baby is....

United States

And the father of Fran's baby is....

well, its Flyboy of course. Someone made a smart alex comment a few days ago about Roger being the father of Fran's baby, and then we had a chat about it in the chat room too, and they got me thinking, there are a quite a few things that could lead you to believe this is true.

In the beginning of Dawn in the newsroom, when we first see Flyboy, he goes up to Fran and tells her to meet him up on the roof. As she protests and says we cant he says "Be on the roof at 9 pm, and dont make me come looking for you". He doesnt say anything about how he loves her, and he wants to protect the woman he loves and their unborn child, he kind of threatens her with the "dont make me come looking for you" comment. What are the ramifications if he does have to go looking for her? Is he going to beat her down? Was he already pissed off because he knew of her affair with Roger, pre-outbreak? Remember, unlike Peter, the three of them knew each other prior to the start of the movie.

When Fran says "SPAM", and Roger says "did you bring a can opener?" She relies, with exasperation, "no I guess I didnt" and he says "then dont knock it, its got its own key". The tone of their voices during that conversation, was it just two people in a state about the situation they were in, or people who had a secret relationship, that had been going on long enough to the point where they made smart-ass comments to each other?

When Flyboy says "shes pregnant", he says it with no joy on his face, makes no comment about how it sucks his baby is going to be born into the world now, amidst the zombie outbreak, etc. He says it almost as if he is ashamed. When Roger hears this, he immediately says "maybe we should keep moving". Peter says "We can deal with it". Roger gets a little more animated "Maybe she need a doctor or something". Roger seemed more concerned with Fran's and the baby's well being than Flyboy did.

I dont think that Roger was the baby's father, I think Flyboy was. However, it is interesting to think how those scenes appear to suggest something else.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I really don't think those three scenes suggest anything unless you want them too. And I'm 100% positive that George A. Romero never intended it.

Flyboy was depressed. Seriously depressed. That could often account for his cold behaviour. And the part about him not expressing his love in the television studio is, to me, a rather realistic piece of dialog. Had he gone on about how much he loved her and wanted to protect his one true love then it would have been pretty hollywoodish...

I won't comment on the spamopening remark, because that's pure make-belief man.

United States
    I don't think those scenes indicate or suggest anything close to that; I think you may be trying too hard for it to mean something

Flyboy is the father

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    I don't think those scenes indicate or suggest anything close to that; I think you may be trying too hard for it to mean something

Flyboy is the father
    I disagee with your statement. I am not trying for it to mean anything. I simply thought it was interesting, hence the final line of my post:
    I dont think that Roger was the baby's father, I think Flyboy was. However, it is interesting to think how those scenes appear to suggest something else.

United States
    With all due respect (and I do not mean this with any malice)

"SPAM", and Roger says "did you bring a can opener?" She relies, with exasperation, "no I guess I didnt" and he says "then dont knock it, its got its own key".
    You find this interesting ?

You did not say it was merely interesting but implied that it was possible to mean something else; that's definately reading into it.

But hey; opinions are opinions.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    First of all, Philly....I want to say "good post". Although I may not agree with all of what you're saying, I like your history of posts that examine the films to a deeper extent.

That being said, I do think that maybe you're reading into the film too much(I know...it's just a topic catalyst. Nothing against you) and I also think you may have missed a few things....

About what Flyboy says to Fran in the news room: If he went from the angle of telling her he loves her and making it painfully obvious, it would kill the entire character development of Fran and himself throughout the whole of the film.

About the "Spam" comment: ehhh.....I can see where you're coming from, but it's just a random conversation. I mean, people tend to become sarcastic and make jokes at their fellow man, no matter what the situation may be. I feel that scene was meant to add more of a camraderie and funny friendship to the group.

Anout the "She's pregnant" comment: I feel that Peter wasn't really ashamed of the unborn child, but he was more ashamed in the sense that it was bad timing and throughout the film he's looking up to the Swat guys and wants to make a good impression. Therefore, he felt the unborn child and his love for Fran would make Peter and Roger think that it would hold him back from his duties and he might not be willing to do what was necessary to survive and keep the group entact as a whole.

Like I said, I see where you're coming from and it's a great conversation starter, but I really don't feel that Romero wanted to throw a hint out there that maybe Flyboy wasn't the father of Fran's child. If he did, there probably would have been more dialogue between Fran and Flyboy in their personal scenes that would hint to this.
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Dec-2006 at 06:40 AM.

capncnut
    It's definitely Fly Boy's kid although I wouldn't rule out Franny sleeping with Roger before and Peter after. A lot of your post makes a great deal of sense Philly but I gotta say the spam statement was a bit of a long shot.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    but I really don't feel that Romero wanted to throw a hint out there that maybe Flyboy wasn't the father of Fran's child.
    Me either. That is why the first line of my post, in a completion of the thread title "And the father of Fran's baby is...
    well, its Flyboy of course.
    And then the second to last sentence of my post was
    I dont think that Roger was the baby's father, I think Flyboy was.

Banned User

United States
    It cracks me up when people over analize these things for its only a movie. (I do not mean anything bad by that statement) But for the sake of arguement I do not think there was an affair between Rodger and Fran. Yes there was a lack of lovey-doveyness between Fran and Flyboy but I would say the stress of a zombie plague and trying to survive was the focus. Plus the baby was probably unplanned thus the added tension between the two and the lack of affection.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    well, its Flyboy of course. Someone made a smart alex comment a few days ago about Roger being the father of Fran's baby.
    *raises hand* that would be me.

Super Moderator

UK
    Flyboy is the daddy, simple as, nothing to suggest otherwise, unless you induce your own over-analysis upon scenes...and I wouldn't relay to my peers - in the midst of a zombie outbreak, when I'm exhausted from flying a chopper alllllll night - that my missus was having my baby with a big, booming, everything's gonna be Father Knows Best for me smile...

Somehow I 100% doubt Roger was having an affair, if that was the case, Romero - the dude who wrote it - would have peppered the script with such suggestions.

Strangers make smart-arse comments to each other.

"Don't make me come looking for you" - suggests to Fran, don't f*ck around and really be there, otherwise they'll miss their opportunity to escape. It doesn't mean he does't love her - he clearly does as you see it throughout the film in several scenes, the major one being he proposes to her. In the midst of a chaotic outbreak of flesh eating zombies, I doubt you'd be thinking "oh I'd better say three words we've already said to each other, just because", you're just as likely not to say them through mental pre-occupation than you are likely to say them through fear of impending death.

*exhausted sigh*

Philly, what do you smoke? Cos you come out with the weirdest over-analyses I've ever read...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    *raises hand* that would be me.
    You should've wrapped that bad boy and you wouldn't be having this trouble now!
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Philly, what do you smoke? Cos you come out with the weirdest over-analyses I've ever read...
    Isn't it obvious? Homegrown super HPotD!
    Last edited by capncnut; 11-Dec-2006 at 12:07 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well, I went out of my way to say that I indeed think Flyboy is the father, and said that the line was thought was started by a smart ass comment (by hellsing )and then chat room chat. I wasnt trying to convince anyone that Roger is the father, just throwing out the topic for conversation. I was just basing the observations from direct scenes from the movie, unlike other topics.....like "the stretch" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Isn't it obvious? Homegrown super HPotd!
    Hey, you guys have been holding out on me! WHo's holdin'?

United States
    Remember when Han Solo asks Chewy for the hydospanners in Empire ? And Chewy gives him a growl with some cold attitude ? Do you think its possible that Han and Chewy are really the lovers and not the Princess ?