Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article in Scientific America about a world without humans:

United States

Interesting Article in Scientific America about a world without humans:

Dead related? Could be if there were only mindless zombies wandering around.

There were paintings and computer renderings of what our world would look like if humans disappeared over night. It showed and told in a timeline of what would probably happen.

One of the first things in New York City would consist of the subway system flooding because humans are suppose to operate a system where it gets drained out or it floods within 48 hours.

When cracks appear in the pavement, water will seep down into it and in the winter the crack expands and then seeds will blow down into it and pretty soon of course you have grass growing and eventually trees.

Skyscrapers may look tough, but when the foundations flood because of the subway and underground rivers, etc, they will start to corrode and those tall buildings will come down, clearing other buildings in their path.

Wildlife will start to take the streets back.

Many buildings may burn to the ground from a lightening strike.

Roofs will rot and collapse on houses within 100 years.

They even went thousands and millions of years into the future. The only thing that will survive for a long time would be plastics and some metal statues, etc.

A new ice age will level any remaining buildings and eventually new species will appear.

Our sun will become larger and burn up planets closer to it.

Then the only thing remaining of the human race will be episodes of the Twilight Zone and other broadcasts in faint, fragmented signals carried forever out into the far reaches of space.

Makes you wonder if there will modern society here millions of years before, doesn't it?

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    In original Time Machine novel, H.G. Wells predicts a similar future very accurately. Infact, the last few chapters of that book are my favourite, when the time traveler goes into the far future of millions of years. The sun grows larger and warmer, and what was once England is turned into a tropical climate.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Then the only thing remaining of the human race will be episodes of the Twilight Zone and other broadcasts in faint, fragmented signals carried forever out into the far reaches of space.
    You can't forget about keith richard's liver.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Unregistered / Not Logged In

Aaland
    comment was removed from this post
    Last edited by aljuweind; 20-Jan-2021 at 01:07 AM. Reason: comment removed.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You can't forget about keith richard's liver.
    LOL!LOL!
    too true...

Canada
    cool.

I can totally see some hippie enviromentalist getting a boner over this and protesting in washington to call for a global genocide of all humans to make things like that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    thats kind of a comforting thought in the grand scheme of things, that all the concrete omnstrosities we build in cities will be replaced by feilds and forests again, forests ebfore, forests after.

or in londons case, swamp first, cesspool now, swamp again

i googled the article folks, so hve a ganders and cop yer eyes ect.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...mber=1&catID=2

Canada
    I'd rather us still be alive, but thats just me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ...why?, were horrible creatures. really.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    kiss, cockroaches, and cher's face will still be there

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ...why?, were horrible creatures. really.
    That's one of the truest things you ever wrote. Our horribleness will be the end of our species too. Very poetic.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    true i should screw the wussy attempt at a goatee and go for a full on van dyke with matching bere'

Canada
    and? what do i care? humanity is supposed to prosper on earth, and we are. There is also no such thing as balance in nature, as it is always in a flux, so people who always go on about how nature would reset itself are full of crap in most cases.

yes, we have done lots of harm to this planet, but hoenstly, any other intelligent creature would do the same in order to facilitate it's survival. We aren't horrible, we are making sure we survive and prosper as long as we can. I could care less if we kill off an obscure species of fish, or a species of tree, if it means more urban/residential space for my kids and grand kids in the future.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    .....wow.

-anyway.

heres an on topic piece by lovecraft i read when i was 12 and this one was so concise adn to the point its stuck with me for years, and i only read it ocne (it took me 30 mins to look this up for youse guys without knowign the title), but aside form colour out of space this may be my favourite of lovecrafts works.

Memory
    Written 1919

Published May 1923 in The National Amateur, Vol. 45, No. p. 5, 9.

In the valley of Nis the accursed waning moon shines thinly, tearing a path for its light with feeble horns through the lethal foliage of a great upas-tree. And within the depths of the valley, where the light reaches not, move forms not meant to be beheld. Rank is the herbage on each slope, where evil vines and creeping plants crawl amidst the stones of ruined palaces, twining tightly about broken columns and strange monoliths, and heaving up marble pavements laid by forgotten hands. And in trees that grow gigantic in crumbling courtyards leap little apes, while in and out of deep treasure-vaults writhe poison serpents and scaly things without a name. Vast are the stones which sleep beneath coverlets of dank moss, and mighty were the walls from which they fell. For all time did their builders erect them, and in sooth they yet serve nobly, for beneath them the grey toad makes his habitation.

At the very bottom of the valley lies the river Than, whose waters are slimy and filled with weeds. From hidden springs it rises, and to subterranean grottoes it flows, so that the Daemon of the Valley knows not why its waters are red, nor whither they are bound.

The Genie that haunts the moonbeams spake to the Daemon of the Valley, saying, “I am old, and forget much. Tell me the deeds and aspect and name of them who built these things of Stone.” And the Daemon replied, “I am Memory, and am wise in lore of the past, but I too am old. These beings were like the waters of the river Than, not to be understood. Their deeds I recall not, for they were but of the moment. Their aspect I recall dimly, it was like to that of the little apes in the trees. Their name I recall clearly, for it rhymed with that of the river. These beings of yesterday were called Man.”

So the Genie flew back to the thin horned moon, and the Daemon looked intently at a little ape in a tree that grew in a crumbling courtyard.

Canada
    what..it is true...

people say that animals don't have war

thats just because they aren't smart enough to hate one anouther. I believe that the behavior we see in humanity is because of our intelligence and awareness; not because we are naturally ass's.

btw,
    the above post i made was on-topic.