View Poll Results: Do you respect the security guy?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 57.14%
  • No

9 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respect for the security guy?

United States

Respect for the security guy?

In the beginning scenes of Dawn, we see chaos ruling the day. The TV station is filled with strife, Building 107 is a disaster, and cops are stealing boats and supplies (and traffic choppers!)

The one blond security guy abandons his post less than 4 minutes into the movie, right after the station manager asks him to stop those that are leaving. But the other security guy...he stops Flyboy, physically putting his hand in his chest, needing to see a badge to let Flyboy in. It stands to reason that he should recognize the famous "Steve Andrews-Traffic Reporter", seeing as he works security at the station. Hell, even the cops at the dock recognize Flyboy. Let he still requires proof of ID before he lets Flyboy pass.

Now, I suppose it is possible that people had been fired in the three weeks of zombie chaos, and maybe security was told to really check ID's to make sure that fired employees who had to turn in their badges didnt try to sneak back in, but we see no evidence of all of that in the film. So the question is..do you respect the guard for still performing the job that he is being paid to do, or do you feel he is a complete jagoff for insisting on such formality when it is highly questionable whether that is still necessary?

ViP

United States
    Hell no! I mean, c'mon. Its Steve freakin' Andrews here. Give the guy a break! Especially when everyone leaving seems to know him well enough to give a parting shot to him as they hit the bricks.

Imagine what is going through the mind of the other security guy, the one who leaves.

United States
    i really respect that he was still trying to do his job amidst the chaos.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I think he was just thrown in there to highlight the chaos, paranoia and the struggle to maintain order.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I like the term "jagoff", so that's the one I picked. Also, I agree with it, because all security personas like to hassle me, and I have difficulty respecting authority. Blame the Beatles.

United States
    I think the security guy was going to leave too, but when he saw the quasi-famous Steve Andrews coming, he decided to stay and hassle him because, well, wouldn't you?

Administrator

England
    i always pictured flyboy off camera going "dont you know who i am? why this is a outrage sire... AN OUTRAGE!!"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    i always pictured flyboy off camera going "dont you know who i am? why this is a outrage sire... AN OUTRAGE!!"

i think you've got to respect the guy. he is in a shitty situation and is simply trying to do his job to the best of his ability.

i don't know about the rest of you but i tend to feel more respect and consideration sometimes for people that have to do really shitty jobs ( like working at mcdonalds or behind the register at a 7/11 than i do for people with "careers." folks in those jobs have to put up with waaaayyyy more crappy attitudes from people.

on a side note: i think i accidentally hit the no option on the poll. if i did, it was a mistake.
    Last edited by Mike70; 04-Feb-2009 at 01:46 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I think you kind of have to.

I mean the worl is going to hell around you, your immediate surroundings are combative and hostile, you were hired to do a job and you are doing it. People are defecting, acting like idiots, chaos and social order are showing the strains of a horrible situation and you are there.

You are there to calmly, but firmly put your hand on the chest of someone trying to rush into an area you are there to protect and say "not on my watch".

If we had more men like this in the world, I do not think we ever get to the point we do in Land.

Christmas Island
    No way! With everything going to shit the last thing you want to deal with is a rent-a-cop martinet on a Gestapo kick. I'm surprised he didn't tell Flyboy to empty his pockets.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    :i don't know about the rest of you but i tend to feel more respect and consideration sometimes for people that have to do really shitty jobs ( like working at mcdonalds or behind the register at a 7/11 than i do for people with "careers." folks in those jobs have to put up with waaaayyyy more crappy attitudes from people.
    As someone who was in retail customer service for 12 years, well said. You get a real sense of what assholes roughly 75%+ of the human race are when you deal with the public on a daily basis. Add to that these folks are making very little money to boot, & yeah, I feel where you're coming from.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    As someone who was in retail customer service for 12 years, well said. You get a real sense of what assholes roughly 75%+ of the human race are when you deal with the public on a daily basis. Add to that these folks are making very little money to boot, & yeah, I feel where you're coming from.
    Thirded!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This is how I see flyboy acting towards his 'subordinates'. I like to think that the security guy KNEW who he was but was busting his balls. I also like to think he let in the next 3 complete strangers on principle.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    People are assholes!?!

I thought that was just common knowledge.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Hell, in the middle of a zombie pandemic, I would make it a point to stop and hassle Flyboy. It would be fun! It might be the last time I get to pick on somebody who deserves it.

If I was the security guy, I would have made Flyboy show me his station ID, I would have pulled out the metal detector wand and had him empty his pockets. All this I would have done, while allowing other people free access to come and go behind him! LOL!

Flyboy...what a dork.