Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Divide (film) - Apocalyptic flick

Administrator

England

The Divide (film) - Apocalyptic flick

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Wow! Definitely looks like it's gonna' be pretty damn good.

Super Moderator

United States
    Whoah! Looks like my cup of apocalypse. Nice cast, too!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    another film that suffers from 90210 syndrome, where only fit and attractive people survive...looks kinda interesting, i suppose.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    another film that suffers from 90210 syndrome, where only fit and attractive people survive...looks kinda interesting, i suppose.
    I.E. - this film was made in Hollywood. But you're absolutely right, it seems more and more often that only model-worthy people survive any type of apocalyptic situation. If you're average looking you're basically screwed (unless they are casting extras for Mad Max, as an exception to the rule).

With that said, this does look pretty good otherwise. This is one of the first films I have saved for the Third Annual Halloween Horror Marathon for 10/31/12 this year ("Take Shelter" is also on the list).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Select cities?
    I'd like to be one of those. Looks good.

United States
    I think it looks properly bad-ass, but I hate Milo Vetimiglia..
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Administrator

England
    You may notice an advertising campaign for the film here on HPotd over the next few days
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You may notice an advertising campaign for the film here on HPotd over the next few days
    Yup, noticed it on the header a couple of day ago

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Anyone seen this yet?
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    It had a limited release back in January in the US. Box Office Mojo doesn't even have it listed so it must have been a very limited release. It will be in theaters in the UK on April 20th.

The US DVD release date is April 17th.

another film that suffers from 90210 syndrome, where only fit and attractive people survive
    Who wants to watch a film with fat guys and ugly girls. Movies are an escape from reality.
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 24-Mar-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: e is for edit

Being Attacked

England
    I saw it last year and really enjoyed it, some great performances from the cast and overral a very well told story. Has an amazingly effective opening that pulls you in straight away.
    And while some of the cast may be pretty they don't stay that way for long

Super Moderator

United States
    Finally got around to seeing this. A pretty unrelenting film once it starts to really get rolling. I also have to agree with Knighty above on a well turned in effort by most of the cast.

Super Moderator

UK
    Michael Biehn's in it? I'm sold - will have to check it out - surprised that this totally flew under my radar until just now!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Michael Biehn's in it? I'm sold - will have to check it out - surprised that this totally flew under my radar until just now!
    I'll be interested to hear your opinion, MZ. The film has not gotten very solid reviews on the whole, and I actually was unsure of Biehn's performance. I like the guy and he can command a scene fairly well, but I'm not sure if he oversold his role, or I was failing to look past my familiarity with him and his other work. Also there are matters of very open ended plot elements and the like in the film and a question as to whether the final product stands on its own as a substantive film, or is more about shock.

Still, though, I enjoyed and was intrigued by it.