Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who do it: Six-day work weeks.

Undisclosed

Angry For those who do it: Six-day work weeks.

My company recently announced that they're gonna start operating our plant Monday-Saturday starting next month. They say that the odds of everyone there actually working six days a week are slim, but I think it's just a matter of time before the money gets too good to pass up and it becomes permanent. They've already taken away overtime benefits and paid time off. With gas prices the way they're headed and the driving distance I have (twenty minutes on the highway twice a day), you might understand how much of a pain in the ass this could be. Anyone been in a similar predicament?

United States
    My company has a rotating schedule where every third week we have teams that are on a weekend duty schedule and we end up working 10 days straight without overtime (unless we put in over 8 hours in one day) and this apparently is a legal even though we exceed a 40 hour work week during these schedules. This sounds different than what you are describing since we are not required to work the extended hours every week.

In your case this sort of weekly work schedule without overtime does not sound legal, but not being a labor-law expert this is just my assumption.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

England
    I worked 7 days a week for a while when i was 19/20,16 hours a day at a factory during the week,then 8 hours a day cooking & pan washing in a hospital kitchen on weekends,it about killed me,especially trying to squeeze a social life in there as well!
    Since then ive always worked at places that leave my weekends free,i think everyone needs those two days to chill out & do their own thing unless they voluntarily want to work & for that they should be on double time!On the plus side at least your company are increasing their production time rather than reducing it as is happening at a lot of places in the UK at the moment due to the recession,with already struggling people having to take paycuts!just make sure they dont start taking the piss

Twitching

Undisclosed
    How many hours a day are they making you work?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

capncnut
    I worked every day (except new years eve and day) Dec 2000 and January 2001. I did get a quarter raise per month and two weeks off at the end, mind. Good incentive!

United Kingdom
    I sometimes work a 6 day week. I think the most I've ever done is 3 weeks solid without a break. Just think of the money when you get tired!!
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    How many hours a day are they making you work?
    In my case, I work anyhwhere from 7-10 depending on the workload. As Tricky said, the weekends should be a time to recharge. I might be a little more receptive to the idea of working six days a friggin' week if they were to reinstate our paid time off or holiday pay, but I'm not holding my breath. I should probably start checking the want ads.

ViP

United States
    I'd gladly work on Saturday right now. I need the money.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    In my case, I work anyhwhere from 7-10 depending on the workload. As Tricky said, the weekends should be a time to recharge. I might be a little more receptive to the idea of working six days a friggin' week if they were to reinstate our paid time off or holiday pay, but I'm not holding my breath. I should probably start checking the want ads.
    When I used to complain about work, my late grandfather (may he rest in peace) who lived through the Great Depression used to bark "Just be glad you have a job"

Certainly didn't make me feel any more motivated at the time, though I still can hear him saying that to me in Obi-Wan Kenobi fashion every time I start to resent working long shifts or losing my weekend. Like Axlish said, I too need the money, so to me it's not so much that I am glad that I have a job, but more a figment of needing the money and really having no choice but to work, while honing my resentment of those lucky fuckers out there who are living off of an inheritance or a trust fund.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Twitching

Undisclosed
    In my case, I work anyhwhere from 7-10 depending on the workload.
    How do they justify no overtime with that kind of schedule?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I work for myself, so I usually work just about every day. Sunday's are usually pretty laid back, though. I sometimes get the occasional slow Saturday, too...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Wait... you don't get holiday pay?? Is that even legal?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I'd gladly work on Saturday right now. I need the money.
    Thats why im joining the territorial army,the training is on weekends & il get paid for it,but it wont feel like work as il likely enjoy it!my regular job is just a job though & theres no chance they'd get me in on a weekend!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Work is good. Stop complaing. In a perfect society, we would all be working all the time!

No, but seriously. Don't you have unions? Stuff like this would never be legal over here. Especially the part about no Holiday pay and no overtime-pay.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Wait... you don't get holiday pay?? Is that even legal?
    Don't know. Is there anyone here who knows for sure?