Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old or new?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Old or new?

Do you guys prefer Romero's older work such as the original 'dead' films, or his more recent films, such as day of the dead, for example?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Apr-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Use your words bassman

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlottep View Post
    Do you guys prefer Romero's older work such as the original 'dead' films, or his more recent films, such as day of the dead, for example?
    Day...recent......I also hear there's this totally bitchin' new movie called "Back To The Future" coming out!

Seriously though, older INCLUDING Day vs more recent, being Land, Diary & Survival, no contest: Night, Dawn & Day (although I do enjoy the latter 3 to varying degrees).

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Use your words bassman
    Bassy has been associating w/ the wrong people.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-Apr-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: this is SERIOUS!

Administrator

England
    I think most people would consider Romero's 1985 "Day" as one of his "older" pieces of work. I'd imagine they define older as:-
    Night
    Dawn
    Day
    Night 90 (possibly)

And new as everything since.

I also doubt there's many people who prefer the "new" more than the "old"... IMHO!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I do realize that most people will say they prefer the older films, i only ask to see the reasons for this, apart from the fact that, in my opinion, the older ones are better.

Super Moderator

United States
    I do realize that most people will say they prefer the older films, i only ask to see the reasons for this, apart from the fact that, in my opinion, the older ones are better.
    I think a lot of people here would agree with you to one degree or another (been a lot of similar discussions here on the topic), however I do wonder what the poll results would be among a population that skews a bit younger.

Welcome to the boards, by the way

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Thanks!
    About what you, AcesandEights, say about the younger people, i was thinking this earlier. The fact that people seemingly prefer the older films could be because they are an older generation, but in years to come, when the so-called "new" films are a lot older, people may enjoy them a lot more?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Thanks!
    The fact that people seemingly prefer the older films could be because they are an older generation, but in years to come, when the so-called "new" films are a lot older, people may enjoy them a lot more?
    I have a hard time believing that could happen. Land has continued to be more accepted as time has passed, but I just don't see the three new films reaching the same status as the original three. The originals are considered the absolute best zombie films and they started the entire genre. While certain people will always enjoy the newest films, I just don't see them "replacing" the original trilogy for future generations.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Apr-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: .

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Bassman, do you think that it is the original trilogy's 'cult status' that helps their reputation as extremely significant films?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bassman, do you think that it is the original trilogy's 'cult status' that helps their reputation as extremely significant films?
    Well...I don't really consider them "cult films", really. "Cult" is a word that gets thrown around too much these days. While Romero's trilogy may slip under the radar of today's general audiences, it's anything but a cult favorite. Romero created, defined, and established the entire genre that is so successful today. Without him, there would be no Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later(NOT a zombie film, but inspired by Romero), etc.

The films don't have the history behind them because of what they started, though. They remain as classics because they are purely great films. They're horror in nature, but exceed on multiple levels outside of that genre and that's what keeps them alive 40+ years later.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Apr-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: .

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I hear ya bassman, so can i ask what films you would say are cult, if you believe there are such things, or what you think makes something cult? Can i also ask, if you can remember, how you initially found out about Romero and his films?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I consider anything AFTER The Dark Half to be "new"...after The Dark Half, Romero's career skydived to oblivion and he was almost completely unable to get any sort of financing until Bruiser - and that's where the cracks in his writing and film making really started to show.

I loved The Dark Half, and saw it as his last great movie. It was released the same year as Bram Stoker's Dracula so it kinda fell under it's shadow at the time, but I think it's probably one of the few King adaptations that exceeds the rather dull book.

My favourite Romero films are from the older generation:

in chronological order (not preference)
    Martin
    Dawn
    Knightriders
    Creepshow
    Day

Not a massive fan of Night 68 or Night 90 really, they're cool - but not my favourites.
    I think There's Always Vanilla was very notable as a drama and a really nice movie overall. It was panned and destroyed over the years but Ray Laine's performance was phenomenal, as he was also in Season of the Witch.

Also blasted but I believe to be under rated was Monkey Shines. Jason Beghe's performance was brilliant and it was a really interesting storyline, and contained some awesome moments....my favourite being the line "She deserved to die, mother. She FUCKING DESERVED TO DIE."
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 18-Apr-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: 2weqw
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Romero's trilogy may slip under the radar of today's general audiences
    That's an interesting statement? Do you think modern audiences can't connect with it/them? If so why?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well the key point being that the profound social commentry in night and dawn just dosnt connect with the youth of today neil?