Thread: American Movie

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

American Movie

Any fans of this documentary? I personally think it's a great film and definitely one of the funniest fuckin movies I've ever seen.

Not only that, but for an aspiring amateur film-maker such as myself, I find this movie to be very inspiring. Actually, it can be inspiring for anybody. This dude has a dream and he sees through that it becomes a reality, through [brief] ups and [extreme] downs.

Although, I have heard people complain and trash-talk Mark Borchardt because he's broke and doesn't take care of his own three kids (although, that's mostly his wife's fault!) and he's an alcoholic, so "only a fool would be inspired by him". I find that statement to be foolish in itself. The movie isn't supposed to be focused on his legal status with his children or the fact that he has a drinking problem, it's focused on the fact that despite these obstacles (and many more) he's able to overcome everything and get his movie made.

HIGHLY recommended movie for anybody. Especially if you want to laugh your ass off. Someone once put it well: "It's as if Reiner, in his prime, had made this mockumentary... except it's real-life."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

yeah buddy!

Coven is actually really good! To me one of the reasons I love American movie is that Mark is actually talented, not some salesman with a camera like many out there today.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree. Mark truly knows what he's doing. His editing style and cinematography is actually really good, in my opinion. Albeit, his plots and dialogue might not be top-notch, but his work is certainly better than a lot of the independent crap that gets nation-wide distro these days.

However, for every one of us that thinks Mark is a good film-maker, there will always be one or two that completely disagree (usually for invalid reasons).

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

sure

Yeah well thats just the way it is i guess. I dont hold his faults against him, they seem quite normal when it comes to artists. I'd like to see something new from him. Not sure what hes done since other than spots as himself on family guy and such.

United States
    Apparently he's directing another movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401771/
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    yeah i love this movie. its one of my faves. mark is also in a really good doc called horror business where he talks about how he lost his passion for film making and stuff. its very interesting. that doc also shows how talented mark really is because the other directors... are just god awful. lol.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    yeah i love this movie. its one of my faves. mark is also in a really good doc called horror business where he talks about how he lost his passion for film making and stuff. its very interesting. that doc also shows how talented mark really is because the other directors... are just god awful. lol.
    fun movie. The guitar player freind burned out on dope is a bit sad.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    that's a pretty cool movie and damned funny in places too.

this gets my vote as best line in the whole flick:

Mark Borchardt: Seriously. Last night, man, I was so drunk, I was calling Morocco, man. Calling, trying to get to the Hotel Hilton at Tangiers in Casablanca, man. That's, I mean, that's, that's pathetic, man! Is that what you wanna do with your life? Suck down peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco at two in the morning? That's senseless! But that's what happens, man.
    totally priceless.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    So did you try to call them? The number is 414-466-Mike. If he's home and he feels like it, he'll pick up.
    Last edited by Eyebiter; 22-Mar-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    So did you try to call them? The number is 414-466-Mike. If he's home and he feels like it, he'll pick up.
    ...are you serious? I wouldn't mind having a conversation with Mike...

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

funny flick

"Does everyone have brown gloves?"

Undisclosed
    It's a great film. And for anyone who grew up in the midwest, the film really depicts the cold, gray early mornings.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahsleety View Post
    "Does everyone have brown gloves?"
    "...and I promise I will always visit your grave... well, not always, but I'll visit it sometimes if I ever find it."