Thread: Children of Men

Administrator

England

Children of Men

Not as dark as I was hoping for, but generally very good and some good emotional moments...

I'd have to watch it again, but I'll swear there's some very long single shot scenes with a fair amount of action and effects in, which being the case, is pretty impressive!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I wanna see this flick, I've heard pretty much the same sentiments as you from several sources, and indeed, I've heard there is a sequence running through a warzone which is mostly one shot - in which case, very nice indeed - I like seeing that, we don't have enough Kubrick-isms in cinema these days, it's all about being choppy and split-second shot lengths.

A big long shot through a well orchestrated battle would be quite something to see on the big screen I'd reckon...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye I wanna see this flick, I've heard pretty much the same sentiments as you from several sources, and indeed, I've heard there is a sequence running through a warzone which is mostly one shot - in which case, very nice indeed - I like seeing that, we don't have enough Kubrick-isms in cinema these days, it's all about being choppy and split-second shot lengths.

A big long shot through a well orchestrated battle would be quite something to see on the big screen I'd reckon...
    Well, it was so nicely done, that it wasn't probably until a good way through it an alarm went off in the back of my head saying that there's hadn't been a scene cut for a good while...

Looking back at the file, I think this may have happened a couple of times...

The film certainly is not an action fest, but a simple thinky film... Shame it wasn't more thinky, but it was good...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    There's been alot of hype over a shot that

ran over 10 minutes and was basicly a big action shot.
    I haven't seen the film myself, but I want too.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i liked it but i still coudlnt get "my name is miechal pane and i am a nosy neighbour" outta my head during kanes bits, on this not of end of the world-ish films anyone seen right at your door?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    There's been alot of hype over a shot that

ran over 10 minutes and was basicly a big action shot.

You're kidding!!

I guess the fact that I watched the film, and didn't spot it was that long was a good sign of how fluid it was!
    -Carl Sagan

Fiji
    there been alot of talk on AICN and a couple of sites about the fact that Curon(?) worked in so many of these long takes. alot of the reviews echo exactly what you've already stated.