Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My final thoughts on Land Of The Dead

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed

My final thoughts on Land Of The Dead

I'm very tempted to post my final thoughts on this film. How much hate would "land" my way if it was mostly a good review? I'm honestly scared to post it here at HPOTD after reading previous comments regarding this "CLASSIC".

Yeah.. I said it. Classic!
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by archivesofthede View Post
    I'm very tempted to post my final thoughts on this film. How much hate would "land" my way if it was mostly a good review? I'm honestly scared to post it here at HPOTD after reading previous comments regarding this "CLASSIC".

Yeah.. I said it. Classic!
    I would be interested to hear them, regardless of what slant you took on it. Although perhaps this thread may be moved to the "Land of the Dead" forum.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The Land forum is long gone, philly...

*sigh* Post your review and let the fun begin. Again.

Undisclosed

In 2005 George A. Romero was given his first opportunity to produce one of his zombie films with a larger than normal budget of $15 Million. Becoming the 4th in the Of The Dead series the film was originally planned to be called Dead Reckoning . To avoid confusion with previous films that shared a similar name Romero and his team decided on the name “Land of the Dead” at the last minute. Other names they considered had been Dead City, Twilight of the Dead, and even Night of the Living Dead: Dead Reckoning. To the surprise of many the plot and story of Land of the Dead was based partly on the original longer version of the 1985 Day Of The Dead script.

The movie starts out with an amazing scene of little zombie band and they are playing “The Gonk” from the mall music of Dawn Of The Dead. The survivors are out in a far away town gathering supplies and training new recruits. Armed with bikes, guns and a armored tank vehicle called ironically “Dead Reckoning” the zombies are no match for them.

Picking up from Day of the Dead and the zombie “Bub” we soon begin to see that the zombies are gaining some intelligence. This is were it starts to go bad for the survivors in a way we have never seen before. In all the previous films in the series the survivors had sub-come to social situations that lead to their deaths. In Land of the Dead, the zombies take on an original role of being the primary cause of survivor deaths. The “blue collar monster “ as Romero calls them have evolved and now become even more terrifying than ever before in this film. When the zombies get lead by a zombie called “Big Daddy” played by Eugene Clark they begin to organize and march forward, following the survivors back to their walled off city. An epic battle then emerges on the door steps of “Fiddler’s Green” that is controlled by Dennis Hopper’s character ”Kaufman”, who is the would be ruler/dictator of the survivor’s city.

John Leguizamo stars as one of the survivors called “Cholo” giving the film its best performance along side fellow survivor Simon Baker as “Riley”. Both actors did a wonderful job carrying the movie and improving on the script. The majority of the zombies were union extras in the film and we seen some of the most fantastic performances by these extras. In both their movement and their sound, it truly improved the overall fear in the film. There was even room to add Romero’s daughter, Tina Romero, as one of the extra soldiers. She was the firecracker female solider on the guard tower with the electric fence.

Land of the Dead is the first film that Romero ever used digital effects and many critics were skeptical about it. Some of the more die hard fans of Romero films were disappointed in Land of the Dead after it was released. Though there are some different moments in the film that a few Romero fans continue to question, many will agree that the basic theme and style of a Romero film is persistent throughout the film. As time passes we are starting to see more fans with a greater deal of appreciation for Land of the Dead. Even some of the most harshest critics are having a change of heart toward the film.

Years after the film was released we have seen cast members such as, Actress Jennifer Baxter, who plays the zombie called “Number 9” begin to gain a cult following for her performance in the film. Boyd Banks who plays “The Butcher” zombie has also gained a good size fan base. “The Butcher” has even had a 7’ inch action figure mass produced along side the star zombie “Big Daddy” and Tom Savini’s always present Motorcycle Zombie that was released in 2006 by SOTA Toy Company. Now considered a treasured collectors item to both zombie and the average horror fans alike. We have also seen an increase in purchases of posters, cast autographs and other memorabilia from the film. Prices have slightly risen on almost everything and we recently seen an original Land of the Dead United Kingdom Quad Poster go for as much as $150.00 on eBay.

Despite Land of the Dead being released on the heels of Zack Snyder’s 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake that had a budget of $28 million, Romero’s Land of the Dead brought in only $46,770,602 worldwide. This was about half of Snyder’s worldwide box office sales of $102,356,381 that recouped its budget in its opening weekend. This was mainly due to the name recognition of Dawn Of The Dead created by Romero.

The vote is still out on Zack Snyder being the master of a new generation in zombie horror cinema. Until then, I say bring on more Romero films. George A. Romero still reigns as the Master and Godfather of the zombie genre with his epic cinematic masterpiece, Land of the Dead.
    Last edited by archivesofthede; 30-Jan-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Canada
    philly is living in the past. far out man.

United States
    I'll admit that Land has gotten better as it ages. I guess there is hope for Diary afterall!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I'll admit that Land has gotten better as it ages. I guess there is hope for Diary afterall!
    I think you're right my fellow Hooiser!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The Land forum is long gone, philly...
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    philly is living in the past. far out man.
    LOL, shows much much I went to the Land forum. I just assumed it was here, didnt bother to "check".

Good review. I think Land will improve in its general perception as time continues to go by.

United States
    It depends. If there are no more zombie movies made by people, or if all we get are garbage ones, Land will seem better by comparison. But, if someone comes along and actually makes a good zombie movie or two, Land will be forgotten pretty easily.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Good review. I think Land will improve in its general perception as time continues to go by.
    Quite agree and hopefully the hate will subside. Diary <rubs nose>, I dunno.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by archivesofthede View Post
    The movie starts out with an amazing scene of little zombie band and they are playing “The Gonk” from the mall music of Dawn Of The Dead. .
    They were?

Just sounded like wheezing to me.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    I've given my thoughts on LAND

MAJOR Let down. Somphmoric filmmaking. Not hating, just calling it.

I love NIGHT, DAWN (Cept for the BLUE zombies) and DAY (My Fav).

Land left me let down. Diary was fun though (Better than the English 'reality / video' zombie film.
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    *sighs but wades in like one of the triarii*

land was bound to be a major disappointment for lots of folks after the long wait between dead films. personally, i like both land and diary, despite their flaws. i don't like big daddy at all but i find riley a character i can identify with, he has remained human despite the things he's witnessed and done.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    This is what happened to Day! People 'round these parts HATED Day with a passion back in the late 90's. There was nothing but bitching about it. Day was the red headed step-child of the Dead universe.

Now, mostly everyone thinks Day is pretty cool.

United States
    this thread isn't necessary, is it? do we really wanna start this hatfield/mccoy shit again?

*dueling banjos*

and plus, i'm sure that LOTD will pop into your head at least once more in your lifetime, so those really aren't your "final thoughts"....