Thread: Red River Flood, ND and MN

United States

Red River Flood, ND and MN

Haven't been on lately due to historic flooding taking place in the area I live. I had to evac Wednesday morning (voluntary but strongly encouraged), and the next day went back to get some forgotten things, turn breakers off, and water.
    Earthen dam had already been placed across the driveway into my development, so went in with rubber boots. Ice and water was within an inch of top of them, but inside of house was still dry. The water had risen incredibly from the day before when I'd left - I was taken aback when I first saw it. Slogged back, and found an elderly couple parked beside our vehicle. They were neighbors 2 houses down to the south, and needed meds and other things, so I offered to go for them. The water was deeper in their driveway, and the ice wouldn't hold my weight as it had at our place, so went through hard, and ice water poured into boots. On way back, same happened, except with ice chunks.
    It's so surreal to hear anything talked about on TV other than the flood - that's all we've been living lately, so weird to realize again that not everyone is going through it.
    President Obama called our Fargo mayor with encouraging words and offers of resources, and our situation has gone national.
    There are some links at the bottom if you haven't heard about it. Please keep everyone involved in your thoughts and prayers - there are some who fought very hard to protect their homes but ended up having to leave. You really take for granted what a safe zone your home is; I realized that Wednesday after the National Guardsman told me about the evac and then I closed the door and had to start thinking, 'What do we take with us, not knowing if our house will be here when the waters finally go down?' You have to be practical, and yet sentiment ties you to so many things and you have to whittle down specific items and leave the rest behind. When I got out to my dad's farm (where I grew up), looking at what we decided to bring in the heat of the moment was very telling. We'd brought some things we wouldn't have had to (bath towels, for one thing), wedding pictures, favorite books (me), a stuffed animal my mom had given me before she died. Clothes, of course, bank stuff, our 2 cats and dog.
    Wednesday before we left I looked back over my shoulder (how can't you?), and hoped I'd see our home again soon. The next day when we left for the last time until this is all over, I did it again, but this time, having seen how fast the water and ice had come up, suddenly thought of all the others in the same situation, and it was tough.
    My husband and I are fortunate in that we have a place to stay, no matter what, but I hope we'll be able to get back to our own home, the way we left it. Can't hurt to hope, and a lot of people around here so need that right now.
    Shell

http://www.wday.com/ - Our local news

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S852...?cat=11492&v=1 - out of Minneapolis - look at bottom for different topics with footage

United States
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else there at this time. I hope so very much you go home and find it the way you left it.
    I can't imagine what I would choose to take with me if I had to evac. Just know I am thinking about you and hoping all is well.

Dying

Undisclosed
    Good luck Dawn Girl.

United States
    sorry to hear about all that. hopefully, you don't lose too much. hard to imagine having to go through that. you do have flood insurance, right?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    You can do it! Don't lose hope in the face of adversity! Life is pretty OK! Seriously, I have hope for you.

Undisclosed
    I've never lived in that part of the state, but I remember watching the Grand Forks/Moorhead floods of '97 on the news. Hopefully, this time, the levees hold and there is no fire. Then, it seemed like Hell overflowed it's banks, froze over, then caught fire.

Super Moderator

United States
    Dawn Girl,that's horrible news. I can't imagine what you're all going through.

Hopefully things will start to turn around soon, with regards to the flooding, and everyone can get to the job of rebuilding, but even that will be a harrowing project for many. Keep as hopeful as you can, in the meantime. My best to you, your Husband and everyone in your community.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's terrible. I hope your home is alright and I hope nobody gets seriously injured.

United States
    Thanks, everyone, for you kind words of support and encouragement.
    The US Army Corps of Engineers came out yesterday to dad's farm to take measurements of the river's depth and it's 2 feet higher than 1997 (and it's even gone down a bit here).
    We have a Predator drone taking aerial pics, which help forewarn of ice jams which can then be broken up before backing up river more.
    Hopefully I can be back home next week. Can't tell you how great that will be - am so very tired of the flood.
    Will keep you posted.
    Shell

United States
    Moved back home today!!! Not settling in too much, though, as there is going to be a 2nd crest coming that could be even higher, and then we'll have to evac again. The last crest was 40.80'; the next one could be 41-43', coming the middle of the month. We're supposed to be safe where we are until 44', but would have to sandbag if got that close.
    Anyway, have a few days coming up at least where I'm definately going to try not to even think about the next crest and try to get back into my normal routine. Can't tell you how sick I am of all this water and just want to be done with it already.
    Emotionally drained, but loving being back in my own place....

United States

Update

2nd crest way below what the National Weather Service predicted, but it was around what our mayor had thought (he went out every day into the flood plain, so he knew what things were going to do). Sooo, no evac, but earthen dam still running along the highway in front of our house with an opening at the driveway to let us in and out. Hopefully we can now start getting a permanent dike system in place so this doesn't happen again...

Now there is flooding an hour north of us, where my in-laws live, and although the sewer system failed Friday morning, they are safe where they live. The mayor told everyone to just do their business outside. The lawns will be quite lush and green after that, huh? Hopefully the system will be fixed soon, but sure makes you appreciate turning on your faucet and having water at the ready when you need it.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement earlier. Much appreciated and it's nice to have such a kick butt community to come to.