Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: running zombie chaos!?

Administrator

England

Question running zombie chaos!?

Just a thought, how would you guys of felt about dawn'04 if it wasn't branded as a remake?

i mean, same characters, same plot, same zombies, same effects.. imagine if it was just named something different and the few links to the original dawn were removed.

would you of liked it more and given it a higher rating in the community?

just wondering..

Canada
    that might make me like it a bit better, but i still hate running zombies.
    it would not change the fact for me that it was a so so movie with weak characters and a stupid plot. like really ,leave the mall for an island! what the f@#$ is that!

Undisclosed
    i'd have liked it better, but still would've thought of it as a no-brainer action film. But trying to compare it to the scoial satire of DOTD just makes this film look ridiculous. i wish they'd have called it "Mall of the Dead" or something so i would have known to stay away. Ugh.

United States
    I don't think it would've made me like it more, even though I did enjoy it. In fact, not calling it a remake would've made me hate it since I would've thought the producers were ripping off Romero's original and not even doing a good job about it. At least, by saying it was a reimagining of the original and admitting it as such it gave made me give them a chance.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Super Moderator

UK
    Nope, I'd have still felt the same. I have the flick on DVD and can enjoy it rarely when I'm in the mood for a seriously-no-brainer, dumb-as-f*ck, ACTION 'zombie' flick with *sigh* running zombies. Poor direction, terrible script, naff acting, they go all 'Saving Private Ryan' with the cinematography near the end - and like jdog also pointed out - they make the UTTERLY RETARDED decision to leave nice safe mall for zombie island - geez. If only that dumb bitch hadn't gone running after a friggin' dog, jesus christ!

The most I watched this movie was when I was using it as part of my final year Dissertation on post-millennial horror movies...since then I've only seen bits of it on Sky and the DVD is collecting dust...

Undisclosed
    I liked it anyways...ok this'll shock you all..my hubby prefers it to the original...I know, im ashamed for him!!...maybe that gives me ground for divorce
    Hmmmm Toast....YES it is called a crelbow!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes, I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't holding the name "Dawn". Although I enjoyed it, regardless of it's title. I thought it was a fun action flick and the first ten minutes are probably the best opening 10 minutes I've seen a movie have in a very long time.

Norway
    Yes! I would have liked it very much more if it had nothing to do with dawn of the dead! On its own its a good movie. Slightly better than 28 days later actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by prettycorpses
    I liked it anyways...ok this'll shock you all..my hubby prefers it to the original...I know, im ashamed for him!!...maybe that gives me ground for divorce
    Hmmm.. I must say no. Prefearing the dawn 04 to the original is not ground for divorce.

Being Attacked

United States
    My initial opposition to the film settled into a humble acceptance of the facts that the original film is unchanging and unsurpassable, and that any remake, revisioning, or ripoff is never going to change those constants. Nothing will change what the original film means, particularly what it means to me personally... so why should I be concerned about a remake? I saw it, I enjoyed it to a certain extent for what it was in itself (and I certainly appreciate its inspiration) and that's that.

Use whatever verbage you want. It is what it is and giving it a different title wouldn't have changed the film, or my perspective on it.

United States
    I liked it as Dawn04 just as much as I would have liked it if was called Army of the Dead

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United Kingdom
    Nope, I love it how it is.

ViP

United States
    I enjoyed it a great deal. Had it not had the name Dawn of the Dead, it would have taken me longer to get around to seeing it. If anything, that would have made the film a nice suprise and perhaps I would have liked it better. By any name it is a damn good film, direction, characters and all.

Being Attacked Zombieapocalypse's Avatar

Undisclosed

The saving grace...

My saving grace for this movie was the sheer fact that Ken Foree
    Had his 30 second cameo with the obvious catch line from the original film.

United States
    The one thing that sold me on the remake was the first 10 minutes. If it had begun slower I would've been less enthused and hooked.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Banned User

United States
    Personally, I thought it was the best zombie flick since 1985's Return of the Living Dead...and whether the GAR die-hards want to accept it or not, it set a new standard for all zombie flicks to come.