Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to (Electronic Pop/Dance Genre)

Administrator

England

Listening to (Electronic Pop/Dance Genre)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Have you heard any M83, Neil? I'm properly into this group.

Here's a single from their latest album (you might have heard it used on a few adverts in recent months)...

Administrator

England
    Like that! Will search 'em out!

BTW - have you listened to Fluke or 2 Bit Pie?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Like that! Will search 'em out!

BTW - have you listened to Fluke or 2 Bit Pie?

The only Fluke track I've heard is "Absurd" as it was in The Matrix, and I've not even heard of the other one. Electro Pop is something I generally more dabble in, but M83 was one that really stuck out to me and really appealed to me - I usually listen to stuff like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, The Black Angels, and a whole host of other such things, as well as soundtracks.

You should definitely check out some more of M83's stuff - I first learned of them through Top Gear in fact, and got really into their albums. Their latest one "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" is a double album and I absolutely love it. Anthony Gonzalez (who is M83) is often inspired by dreams, John Hughes movies, California, and stuff like that - so this latest album really speaks to those influences. It's kind of a fusion between rock and electro-pop ... I love it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Andy Bell - Non Stop
    Hadn't heard any of his newer solo album yet, pretty sweeet. Have loved him and Erasure for a few decades now...
    He/they need to do another ABBA cover album.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Hadn't heard any of his newer solo album yet, pretty sweeet. Have loved him and Erasure for a few decades now...
    He/they need to do another ABBA cover album.
    I think the "Non-Stop" album is excellent. I listen to it alot! It's like a slightly harder erasure.

-- -------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The only Fluke track I've heard is "Absurd" as it was in The Matrix, and I've not even heard of the other one. Electro Pop is something I generally more dabble in, but M83 was one that really stuck out to me and really appealed to me - I usually listen to stuff like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, The Black Angels, and a whole host of other such things, as well as soundtracks.

You should definitely check out some more of M83's stuff - I first learned of them through Top Gear in fact, and got really into their albums. Their latest one "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" is a double album and I absolutely love it. Anthony Gonzalez (who is M83) is often inspired by dreams, John Hughes movies, California, and stuff like that - so this latest album really speaks to those influences. It's kind of a fusion between rock and electro-pop ... I love it.
    I'll definately check out M83...

As for Fluke, definately worth checking out their albums:-
    Six Wheels On My Wagon (1993)
    Oto (1995)
    Risotto (1997)
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    "Apollo 440"

"2 Bit Pie", who are basically the child of "Fluke" (see above).

I defy anyone to listen to "Nobody Never" or "Here I Come" and not get a little tingle from it or find their foot tapping

-Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    y'all know that i listen to everything except country and rap, so i can dig a lot of this stuff.

the version of "don't fear the reaper" is pretty damn cool. the first apollo 440 vid isn't available in my country because of the uploader's settings (or at least that is what the message says).

i think i like apollo 440 better than 2 bit pie, after going to youtube myself and looking up a few more of their tunes. i like the darker, more edgy techno like orb, orbital, etc. but this stuff isn't bad.

i like the pun in the title of this one "ain't talking bout dub."

Last edited by Mike70; 02-Mar-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed

and another DM related one though strictly not electronic

Last edited by krisvds; 04-Mar-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    I must admit to losing all interest in the "Pet Shop Boys" since their early albums. BUT, "Yes" is IMHO a fabulous electronic pop album (subwoofer recommended )!

Similarly, with "Aha", their latest and last ever album ever (before they split/retired), "Foot Of The Mountain", is a beautiful way for the group to say farewell!

-Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    What do you guys think of fellow countrymen Front 242? Here's one of their best:

Administrator

England
    ^^ Reminds me of NiN!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Oh god yes! i love NIN so much. Especially the downward spiral - period. I was twenty when I caught a live show in Ghent when they were touring that album and had one of the best evenings in my life.

England
    Aint 'chall forgetting someone?

Fantastic live

Administrator

England
    I loved the Prodigy in the 90s.

Shame that other less good band by the same name with the same people appeared in the 00s!? And they even sank to producing a track with that ultimate tosspot of the planet, Liam Gallagher!! Talk about losing your street cred!
    -Carl Sagan