Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Dead" (film)

Administrator

England

"The Dead" (film)

Review over at AICN rates it well...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50261
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Decided not to read the review due to spoilers...I'm still looking forward to this one!
    Last edited by Legion2213; 05-Jul-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Decided not to read the review due to spoilers...I'm still looking forward to this one!
    Seems to have been a looooooong time coming!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed

Dead End (2011)

Description from imdb:

After a deadly plague rapidly wipes out humanity and transforms the dead into walking dead, a small band of survivors document their fight for survival through the lens of a camera, capturing what could be their last few days alive.

This is another cinema verite (blair witch type filming) movie that everyone and their mother is making nowdays.

First of all this IS a zombie movie, not a 28 Days Later rage virus caused apocalypse. Also set in England it follows a group of soldiers that are forced to leave their overrun base. There really isn't anything new or groundbreaking in this movie and parts of the story appeared to be borrowed from other horror films, like I Spit on Your Grave.

Critics of the fast moving or running zombies will be relieved to hear that there are none to be found in Dead End. Actually, this movie makes up for all of the runners for the last 7 years. You may ask "What are you talking about?". Let me put it this way. Remember in NOTLD 90 when Barbara says "They're so slow!"? Well, the zombies in Dead End shamble so slow, at times it looks like their feet are stuck to the ground. It is quite comical seeing soldiers hysterically shooting at stationary zombies only to be grabbed and eaten after unexplainably running into mobs of undead.

Dead End is an o.k. movie if you have nothing else to watch, but in the end will make you appreciate Diary of the Dead.

Oops. This was supposed to be a topic and not a response.
    Last edited by Sammich; 07-Jul-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: ok

United States
    Been looking foward to "The Dead" for quite a long time now. It really has a nice Fulchi look to it. I had almost given up hope. . .Nice to see it getting some theater time finally soon.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Been looking foward to "The Dead" for quite a long time now. It really has a nice Fulchi look to it. I had almost given up hope. . .Nice to see it getting some theater time finally soon.
    You know I feel the exact same way, Clang

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Fulchi, huh? I do agree that the zombies move a bit like the master's.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I do agree that the zombies move a bit like the master's.
    Wow, it's not everyday that a fan of Mr Fulci admits to it, but yeah, George is great isn't he?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    It's also not every day a massive fan of Fulci misspells the director's name, especially when said word is correct spelled within the fan's own screen name

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    It's also not every day a massive fan of Fulci misspells the director's name, especially when said word is correct spelled within the fan's own screen name
    I think he was mostly pointing out that I had misspelled it. . . . . mostly.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Great Britain
    Just watched it and its brilliant, stunning scenery, great effects and utterly terrifying zombies.

Had a real zombie flesh eater vibe to it and I must admit I jumped out of my skin a few times.

Been ages since I've seen slow moving zombies used so well.

Giving an 8/10

Undisclosed
    I only saw about half of The Dead and was very impressed. The zombies followed the Romero universe with no running and no loud dinosaur growls. During a scene where one of the main characters is frantically trying to fix a truck, the shamblers add a sense of desperation and fear. One zombie slowly approaches and is joined by more and more that close in around him.

The special effects are very well done and it doesn't appear to be using (or at least abusing) CGI.

This is a zombie movie that isn't composed of tired recycled Hollywood plots and the Africa setting is a breath of fresh air. I really want to see the whole thing from the beginning.

Administrator

England
    It's been talked about for ages, but I've still not had the chance to watch it!
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    The zombies in this film even though they are super slow are a constant threat.

The night scenes are scary as hell *shudder* total got creeped out after this film finished and that hasnt happened with a zombie film for a long time.

Super Moderator

United States
    Can't wait to see this...just got to figure out how to legally see it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany