Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rambo - Getting good reviews!

Administrator

England

Rambo - Getting good reviews!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    CHUD posted their review as well, 8.5 out of 10.

Rambo might end up being the single goriest movie of the year. I know that the attack on the village is meant to be horrifying, but it's really a big wet blast. Body parts are shot off, people are blown up, kids get shot in the chest. Stallone soaks the scene in blood. I applauded.
    the final battle in the movie is going to certainly end up going down in history as one of the most violent ever.
    Rambo won't end up on any best of lists, it won't win any Oscars, it won't be remembered as a great film. It's a movie that knows what the audience expects and it comes from a filmmaker who is confident in how to deliver that without being boring, cheesy or too silly. Rambo really bridges the gap between First Blood and the sequels, and I couldn't be happier that Stallone moved the franchise into that direction.
    Sounds hilariously awesome. I'm going Saturday night with about 5 people, can't wait!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ever since I saw that early video of various violent clips and saw the AA gun explode a guy sitting directly in front of it, I've been drooling over this movie.

I'm SO up for Rambo, and Rocky Balboa was awesome - Stallone is certainly back to his best.

England
    Body parts are shot off, people are blown up, kids get shot in the chest. Stallone soaks the scene in blood. I applauded.
    **** yeah!

I've just realised that I need to get the original "First Blood" on DVD as well.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't get it. All this blood splattering and stuff isn't what made First Blood a good film.

I'll definitely see Rambo(eventually), but it sounds like it's straying pretty far from the source material of the original and imitating the lesser sequels...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ever since I saw that early video of various violent clips and saw the AA gun explode a guy sitting directly in front of it, I've been drooling over this movie.
    ah dude i know, i showed my freinds the trailer the other day and they just shook there heads going "nuh-uh" again and again.

Fiji
    agreed, ever since the promo reel dropped i've been on for this one. something about vaguely accurate ballistics always suckers me in. and that spot with the .50 cal turning the guy to paint was just epic. I'm planning on catching it Friday.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    agreed, ever since the promo reel dropped i've been on for this one. something about vaguely accurate ballistics always suckers me in. and that spot with the .50 cal turning the guy to paint was just epic. I'm planning on catching it Friday.
    I hope to see it in the cinema when it finally lands here ... sometime in February I think.

Bassman - but equally, would you actually want First Blood all over again?

I think the point here with Rambo is that it's balls-out-and-swinging-on-some-big-breasted-bimbo's-chin style macho, none of that Die Soft 4.0 CGI shenanigans or whatnot. It's a big burly bloke with a f*cking huge knife causing absolute, adult-rated carnage.

First Blood was an excellent film, but I don't want to see it again with 61 year old Stallone, it was a different time and in a different era. I think in this day-and-age of the internet everybody has seen rather gruesome REAL things, so to be balls-out and - importantly - memorable with the gore, is a good thing.

Rather than just senseless killing, make it an action spectacle like the films from our youths - with really imaginative gags that really stick out, it confirms it's just a movie.

Hopefully the rest of Rambo is as good as the carnage.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, I don't want First Blood all over again. But I definitely don't want "Rambo: First Blood Part II" or "Rambo III" all over again and that's what this is sounding like.

I want a thought provoking story with compelling characters that have a reason to be doing what their doing. I'm not saying that Rambo doesn't have all those things that made First Blood so great, but from what I've read, it sounds more along the lines of the sequels....

Credits open, rambo kills, makes explosions, and jumps off of things for two hours....roll credits. I may of liked that when I was 12, but now I want something alittle more for my $10 at the cinema.

I mean.....this thing is starting to look like Dawn04 to me. Ripping off the original's good ideas only to make it a dumb action flick. Then again...this is all coming from trailers and reviews, so I could be wrong.

Super Moderator

UK
    And Rambo is neither a remake nor name-rape...and it doesn't have running zombies in it.

Incidently, that half hour video interview with GAR was great.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action...

Northern Ireland
    Bassman, you seem to be forgetting that this is RAMBO, not some plot-driven, oscar winning, tear-jerking, half-assed, cgi-action film for kids. This is pure 80's, back to the basics... big muscles, big guns, big explosions, big death-count (all of which the Rambo brand is now synonymous with, despite First Blood). This is a MOVIE... a popcorn churning, coke-guzzling, maltteaser munching , entertaining movie. Not a classy, upmarket film with plenty to say about the world.

"I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action..."

Sometimes it's fun to just disengage the brain, relax and let the magic happen.

Rambo, **** yeah!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    Bassman, you seem to be forgetting that this is RAMBO, not some plot-driven, oscar winning, tear-jerking, half-assed, cgi-action film for kids. This is pure 80's, back to the basics... big muscles, big guns, big explosions, big death-count (all of which the Rambo brand is now synonymous with, despite First Blood). This is a MOVIE... a popcorn churning, coke-guzzling, maltteaser munching , entertaining movie. Not a classy, upmarket film with plenty to say about the world.

"I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action..."

Sometimes it's fun to just disengage the brain, relax and let the magic happen.

Rambo, **** yeah!
    There would be no big muscles, big explosions, etc, etc, without the original First Blood. The only one in the original trilogy that's worth a damn. I'm not saying that Rambo is no good - I havent seen it yet. I'm just saying that the trailers and such make it seem like nothing but action, which just isn't my thing. I LOVE action, but I can't love the situation if I don't have a reason to care for the characters. There may be character development, but I haven't seen the film yet.

I'll give Stallone a few points for Rocky Balboa because it had heart even though it was basically a rehash of the original....so time will tell how he does with this franchise.

I know that the TV spots for Rambo are f*cking hilarious..
    Rambo running through the woods and shooting guns while that horrible Drowning Pool song plays.

Northern Ireland
    This is just an aside!
    The following picture could contain what could be construed as spoilers...

It compares the kill ratio of all the Rambo films!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    This is just an aside!
    The following picture could contain what could be construed as spoilers...

It compares the kill ratio of all the Rambo films!

Quite possibly the best use of the internet yet!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan