Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary gygax, co creator of D & D, dead at 69

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

Gary gygax, co creator of D & D, dead at 69

http://kotaku.com/363660/gary-gygax-...-dd-dead-at-69

Say what you want about dand d, i wasnt too big a fan myself, but his work affected everything from baord games to mmo's in the fantasy genre *raises a nerdy goblet or something* enjoy nerd heaven, i hear theres real chicks there dude, WITH BOOBS!

United States
    Things heard after gary Gygax's Death;

“Quick! Someone cast Raise Dead!”

“In the next town, you meet a stranger named Barry Bygax.”

“Now who will lead our young people to Satan?”

“I wonder how they’ll divide up his XP.”

“Pallbearers, make a Bend Bars/Lift Gates roll.”

“When I heard, I cried 2d10 tears.”

“Heart condition? Wow, I always thought it’d be owlbears that got him.”

RIP Gary
    I still have the original Monster Manual from 1981
    wit your name on the cover.
    Last edited by kortick; 07-Mar-2008 at 04:48 PM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    “Quick! Someone cast Raise Dead!”
    Classic!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Couretesy of Gabe and Tycho.

United States
    So sad. I am a big dork from WAY back. So Gygax was like our king. He definitely put his mark on the world and influenced gaming heavily. Not to mention the resurgence of the fantasy genre and role playing video games. Gygax will be sorely missed.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    These things are on every site ive visited today -

Super Moderator

Germany
    They are all over the net because of Gary's influence on gaming in general. Not only the father of roleplaying games, D&D influenced boardgames, card games, and video/computer games. His imagination influenced Western culture to a huge degree. D&D is iconic. RIP, Gary.

United States
    Yup, we dorks all think alike.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed

United States
    I proudly rolled the dice with all of the other nerds back in the days before girlfriends and cars. Very sad news!

RIP Mr. Gygax!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    It's been a horribly rough last year for RPG greats. Gygax, N. Robin Crossby (of Harn fame), Keith 'Doc' Herber(CoC and Chaosium alumnus) and now Dave Arneson.

All cool people in my book. Doc even used to post fairly regularly over at yog-sothoth.com.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I proudly rolled the dice with all of the other nerds back in the days before girlfriends and cars. Very sad news!

RIP Mr. Gygax!
    My own experiences with D & D totally weirded the rabid gamers of my acquantance when I told them who introduced me to it back in the 70's, my Dad.
    We were all game freaks, the whole family, with killer rounds of Scrabble, Risk, Monopoly, etc, and one day he walked in with this packet of booklets and says "Hey, this is something different. "
    Though it initially included Mom and my Younger Brother, eventually it was just Dad and I, taking turns running dungeons. If you thinking role playing is wacked on it's own, try playing against a Military Intelligence Officer, you gotta be on your toes when attempting an ultimate scenario on his party.
    He used to keep detailed notes on all our campaigns, which family member was running a particular dungeon, and built up a world which would have rivaled anything WOW or EverQuest ever put out.
    I sorta lost interest for a while after my ninth lvl thief bought it on the verge of becoming a grand master, with a keep and followers of his own. Fire Giants tossed him in a lava pit.
    Dad turned to the early D&D computer games, Pool of Radiance, etc, and I did other stuff til I came back from the West Coast.
    I got a new group of friends heavily into gaming and we did D&D, COC & a fun anti role playing game called Paranoia. (The Computer is Your Friend. )
    Eventually we drifted away from all that, but not before running a kick ass role play we designed on the George Romero Zombie universe. The gag was that we played ourselves, with only stuff we would carry along on a camping trip. It was so intense that once a door slammed and everyone had a minor freak.

Thanks, Gary. May the Valhalla of Gamers Greet you in the Summerlands.

Wayne Z

United States
    I never was into D&D, so I really don't know who these dudes were. Role Playing was something that never interested me. However, for a few years in the late 70s to the early 80s I spent nearly every weekend in my local game shop playing tabletop MicroArmor, so I knew a great many people who were into the role playing thing. Great bunch of folks! (most of them at any rate, there were a few "weirdos" ... )

There was also at that time a series of Meta Games put out by a dude named Steve Jackson (Ogre, GEV, Chiton I, Rivets, etc.) Looking back now I can see where Mr. Jackson was probably influenced by these D&D creators and thus they were indirectly responsible for hours of my own entertainment.

Thanks to them for that! Rest easy gentlemen.

-stray-

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    crappy news. i still roll the dice and have on and off for eons. at the present, i have a regular gaming group that gets together on sundays, indulges in herbal essences and plays.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    crappy news. i still roll the dice and have on and off for eons. at the present, i have a regular gaming group that gets together on sundays, indulges in herbal essences and plays.
    That being the case, you are a lucky man ... haven't seen my gaming friends for over 20 years ... and haven't "indulged" for at least 5 ...

-stray-