Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 Weeks Later review

capncnut

28 Weeks Later review

WARNING contains mild spoilers!

Okay, where do I begin with this? Firstly, I was absolutely blitzed on cocktails when I first saw 28WL so I had to have another viewing last night.

Okay here's the basics. It has been 28 weeks since the last infectee died in London and the whole area is now under control of the U.S. Army. The survivors are now allowed to return to their homes and start life over. Many people are re-united including Don (spectacularly introduced to us by Robert Carlyle) and his two children. The first thing on the kid's minds are "Where's mum?" but Carlyle explains to them that their mother Alice was killed in an attack on the family home.

The overall sadness of the situation digs in as we see glum survivors and refugees as they are rounded up and placed in safe areas around the city. The whole thing wouldn't look out of place in Alfonso Cauron's 'Children Of Men' and the scenario is very jarring. While retrieving possessions from their family home, the children discover that their mother is not dead but actually still alive. Alice (played by Catherine MacCormack) is quarantined and undergoes extensive medical examinations where the doctors conclude that she shows signs of being contaminated with the Rage virus but is somehow completely immune to it! The doctors decide that the best thing to do is to use Alice as a guinea-pig for testing anti-Rage serums.

Don is overwrought with relief and partial guilt at hearing of his wife's survival (check opening scene for details) and decides to enter the medical facility to see her. They share a kiss and guess what? That's it no more spoilers. I have deliberately gone out of my way to not divulge the rest as I know how irritating it is.

Now here's the meat. I feel that 28WL is every bit as good as the original, it does plod a little (as did the first) but the overall feeling of desparation is well realised and totally convincing. The acting is first rate and actually a good deal better than the original where I felt that a lot of characterisation was lost, especially with the teen daughter. Things this time are a lot more even with some cracking dialogue.

Gore? Yes, it's a grim one folks with the violence following the original's footsteps in terms of the shock factor. Some are downright awful and cruel but wholly plausible.

I'm gonna rate this an 8 out of 10... bang on what I'd give to the first one. 28DL is the original and might appeal more to the diehards but I really can't split 'em, they are so similar in style (even some of the deaths are similar). I urge the lot of you to check it out and see for yourselves - it's a more well rounded tale I guess but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the greater. Good stuff.

I'm definitely having some of this at the flicks next week, noice!
    Last edited by capncnut; 08-May-2007 at 02:20 PM.

United States
    Thanks for the review.

Administrator

England
    Seeing Spiderman 3 tomorrow, and 28WL next money! Looking forward more to 28WL
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    Spiderman 3 Was awcome, though it makes you wish it would just end when you get near the end, Trying not to put any spoilers on here. Looking forward to 28 weeks.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I'm quite looking forward to this too. I liked 28 days later but haven't seen a Danny Boyle film that i didn't enjoy yet. Do any of you think that there could be more films from this franchise or is 28WL just a one off?

(Am new here by the way, greetings all!)

Undisclosed

Cool Hum...

Quote Originally Posted by Komet View Post
    I'm quite looking forward to this too. I liked 28 days later but haven't seen a Danny Boyle film that i didn't enjoy yet. Do any of you think that there could be more films from this franchise or is 28WL just a one off?

(Am new here by the way, greetings all!)
    I THINK YOU CAN ONLY BLEED THIS FILM FRANCHISE FROM THE ASSS SO MUCH!

I SURE THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE BUT YEAH IT DOES LOOK PRETTY GOOD IM GONNA SEE IT!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    I THINK YOU CAN ONLY BLEED THIS FILM FRANCHISE FROM THE ASSS SO MUCH!

I SURE THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE BUT YEAH IT DOES LOOK PRETTY GOOD IM GONNA SEE IT!
    Mr Boyles script had a number of daft shortfalls... I'm hoping the sequel has a good hard-edged well thought out script

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they've used the original premise for a damn good solid film... I hope it's a big success and we get another! Anyway, I'm seeing it next Tue.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    This week its released and I cant bloody wait. Ive seen a couple previews, read some reviews and I think Empire had a interview with the stars or some film magazine.

Also Welcome Komet! Good to have you aboard.
    Why arent you laughing?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Komet View Post
    Pleased to meet you Komet and mmm... it all depends on how well this one does - and I think it'll do okay actually. I'd say 28 Months Later is definitely on the cards.

Undisclosed

Thumbs up O.k O.k!!!

I GUESS IF "THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD" FILMS HAD 5 FRICKEN PARTS I SUPPOSE ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

PERSONALLY IN MY MIND THEY ONLY MADE 2 PARTS, 3-5 SUCKED GIANT ELEPHANT NUUUTS!!!

United States
    spider man 3 drags on eh?

United States

they aren't even playing it at my closest theater!

I couldn't believe it I went to see online if they had any midnite showings at the theater a mile from me but alas! They're not even playing it at all. I have to wait until Friday at 3:30 to see it! Blasted movie theater!
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Mr Boyles script had a number of daft shortfalls... I'm hoping the sequel has a good hard-edged well thought out script

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they've used the original premise for a damn good solid film... I hope it's a big success and we get another! Anyway, I'm seeing it next Tue.
    I could see a "28 motnhs later: Rage in America" movie happening, god knows the US has trouble with movies that don't relate to it directly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah i hate when that happens, there was a big thing over shaun for a while about it being set in england and some big wigs though the american public just wouldnt "get it"
    and yet over here we "got" films like waynes world and clerks, i think the people who decide what you folks over the pond see have some kinda of foeriegn film phobia for anything thats made by a group of people ourside the us, yet since most film makers from the us go outside the us to film this is kinda dumb really, though i dont really see american and british cinema as properly "foreign" to each other, more like to sides of the same coin, both counties speak the same language, watch the same tv shows and a brit or an american will get a joke about spiderman or i dunno robin hood.

Undisclosed
    Do you reakon their should be a spoof of 28 weeks later, called Shaun 28 weeks later, instead of shaun of the dead 2?
    Last edited by suicide22; 12-May-2007 at 08:13 PM.