Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Les Revenants (TV series) - French supernatural drama series (aka "The Returned")

England

Les Revenants (TV series) - French supernatural drama series (aka "The Returned")

A French tv series airing in the UK in June on Channel 4. I just saw the tv trailer for it just now, minus sound, and it looks good.

The English title is The Returned, but was formerly known as Rebound, may still be for US and other territories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Rev...28TV_series%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aNHFbC1OBc
    Not the one I saw, but same series.

Apparently, it's based on a 2004 film.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Jun-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Administrator

England
    Looks interesting - Thanks!

ps: Where the US remake?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    It doesn't seem to be about zombies at all. Am I missing something?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Administrator

England
    I'm slightly confused too! It sort of looks like dead people have returned, but it's unclear if they're basically normal, ghosts or zombies!??!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    First report(s) I read indicated that it was a zombie series, but I no longer think so. Neither do I believe they are ghosts. Undead, certainly.

Apologies about that.

Administrator

England
    ^^ I'll swear I've seen the word "zombie" in some articles about it?!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll give this a punt and see what it's about. Reading a bit more about it, it seems less like a "zombie" series and more like a supernatural series (indeed some have compared it to Twin Peaks in some ways) ... it sounds more like that dead people have returned, as if they'd never died, and they try to resume their normal lives. Doesn't sound like a "zombie" series to me, but it's pretty unclear what it's really about from the adverts (notice how the one Channel 4 have mostly shown shows only images with music ... thus hiding the fact it's in French with subtitles ).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'll give this a punt and see what it's about. Reading a bit more about it, it seems less like a "zombie" series and more like a supernatural series (indeed some have compared it to Twin Peaks in some ways) ... it sounds more like that dead people have returned, as if they'd never died, and they try to resume their normal lives. Doesn't sound like a "zombie" series to me, but it's pretty unclear what it's really about from the adverts (notice how the one Channel 4 have mostly shown shows only images with music ... thus hiding the fact it's in French with subtitles ).
    Note the title - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...take-over.html

Confusing!
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    Thank goodness C4 went for the cheap option and decided on subtitles rather than dubbing. Personally I have issues with lip-sync, it's never good enough and extremely distracting.

All the confusion over what type of show this is has added to the mystique. I suspect it's a supernatural show, or rather supernatural zombies without a healthy appetite i.e. not the ghoul and haitian zombie fusion of GAR. Judging from the trailer the show seems quite interesting, I'll certainly give it a shot. I wonder if they'll ultimately reveal the source of the zombification like "Pet Semetary" ?
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 08-Jun-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: addition
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Administrator

England
    ^^ I hate dubbing too!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm fine with dubbing, personally, as long as it's done well. Sometimes I like to watch things dubbed, sometimes I like to watch things in their original language - I don't get the attitude towards dubbing generally, because countless countries around the world watch English language content with locally dubbed voices.

I wouldn't watch Downfall with dubbed voices, but - as an example - I watched the Japanese action/fantasy movie "Versus", and the main character is a total badass in it, and while his dubbed voice matches the image, the actor's real voice doesn't (weirdly enough) as the real voice of the actor sounds too soft for the sort of character he's playing.

Sometimes dubbing can be awful - but in those cases they've done it very cheaply, hired useless voice actors, and not bothered to get it right ... but you look at things like the Sergio Leone westerns where they picked the right voices, and even changed lines of dialogue to fit the lips of the actor in the scene (e.g. "more feeling" in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly).

So yeah - not averse to subtitles or dubbing - it's whatever suits the type of film better in my own personal view. Another comparison would be watching Das Boot in it's original German, but watching The Raid with dubbed voices (I've seen some better dubs, but also many worse dubs).

Back to that Telegraph article - yeah, it doesn't sound like "zombies" to me - at all - it definitely sounds supernatural, instead. Also - a soundtrack by Mogwai? AWESOME SAUCE.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Jun-2013 at 05:43 PM.

England
    It seems that even tv guide magazines are calling it a 'zombie' series.

So how do we define a 'zombie' in the 21st Century?

Scotland

In all seriousness though I don't think this show will stray too far from the magical/supernatural
    variety of zombie. I'm pretty sure they're not flesh-eaters though, they appear to be normal in the eyes of the community when they initially come back from the dead. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Morto Vivente; 09-Jun-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: edit
    Come on Robin, to the Bat Cave! There's not a moment to lose!

Super Moderator

UK
    But TV guide magazines etc have piss-all idea what a zombie is anyway, to say that they're ill-informed on the subject would be an understatement.

Nothing that I've seen or read about this show suggests "zombies" - it clearly looks supernatural instead.