Thread: Is it all the dead that rise, or just the bitten ones?

Undisclosed

Is it all the dead that rise, or just the bitten ones?

This has probably been covered before, but I am really, really, really lazy. But what I am trying to figure out is this. In Romero's universe, is it all people that die who reanimate, or is it only the ones that have been biten? To some this is a stupid question. But it has been drivin me crazy. Im trying to remember any of the zombies from the movies that had died of natural causes and returned, but cant think of any. Can anyone help?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrosse View Post
    This has probably been covered before, but I am really, really, really lazy. But what I am trying to figure out is this. In Romero's universe, is it all people that die who reanimate, or is it only the ones that have been biten? To some this is a stupid question. But it has been drivin me crazy. Im trying to remember any of the zombies from the movies that had died of natural causes and returned, but cant think of any. Can anyone help?

I must admit that's a special kind of lazy not to hit the search button.

But anyway, in GAR'S mythology anybody who dies will come back as a zombie. If you get bit that just expidiates the process. I have a sneaking felling that you haven't watched land or atleast not paid close attention because that's exactly the line they use in the opening montage. Furthermore, when they are in the fiddler's green one of the residents hangs himself, reanimating shortly thereafter. Hope this helped.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Yea, really lazy. hard day at work. I did watch Land of the dead, but I saw it in the theaters and then only once after it was released on DVD. I might have to pull it out and watch it again, because I dont remember that part of the movie. Im not saying that its not in there mind you. Just that my memory hasnt been worth a crap lately.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrosse View Post
    Yea, really lazy. hard day at work. I did watch Land of the dead, but I saw it in the theaters and then only once after it was released on DVD. I might have to pull it out and watch it again, because I dont remember that part of the movie. Im not saying that its not in there mind you. Just that my memory hasnt been worth a crap lately.
    I'm not knocking you at all, it was just funny.

It's after they go on the raid in the beginning of the movie and cholo heads up to see kaufman.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    That part of the land of the dead that darth is talking about is on the special features and wasn't featured in the actual movie... I dont know why they cut it out I felt it was a fine part to have in the movie.

The theory in Dawn04 was that the bite kills you and the bite brings you back which is what happens in the GAR movies they just dont spell it out for you like that however its best seen when you see Dawn and Roger gets bit... has his heart to heart with Peter then when he dies they pull the blanket over him and not long after he comes back.

And in The Walking Dead even the people who are shot or die by alternate means die.

So the consensus among zombie flicks is that all the people who die either by their own hands or others will eventually reanimate.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    you're gonna confuse him mj. Yes the bites can kill you and bring you back but it's not a pre-requisite. Any one who dies by any means, barring incapacitation of the brain will return. Take NOTLD for instance. Ben was shot by cooper and bled to death in the basement. No one bit him yet he turned.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    That part of the land of the dead that darth is talking about is on the special features and wasn't featured in the actual movie... I dont know why they cut it out I felt it was a fine part to have in the movie.
    I think he meant the opening montage. There they say something along the lines off "Anyone who dies turns into one of them. If you're bitten, that only turns you into one of them so much faster!".

United States
    Sorry I shoulda quoted... I meant the whole fiddlers green man hanging himself scene which wasn't shown at the movie theater...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I think he meant the opening montage. There they say something along the lines off "Anyone who dies turns into one of them. If you're bitten, that only turns you into one of them so much faster!".

Exactly ned!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Sorry I shoulda quoted... I meant the whole fiddlers green man hanging himself scene which wasn't shown at the movie theater...
    It is in the dvd unrated director's cut version. But like i said that was made clear in NOTLD 90' when ben turned without getting bit.
    Last edited by darth los; 19-Jun-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost