8 40.00%
  • Resident Evil

12 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

Administrator

England

Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

Stick to the original game, not the sequels if you can.

(cuz their better :P)

which do you prefer and why?

United States
    Resident Evil for me. It's what I played first of the two, and what I've played more often. I guess its just because I'm more used to it. I enjoy playing it. It's a great game, and I like the first two sequels. Always fun, and it can't be completed in one sitting. I like that about a game. I get my money's worth, by getting alot sitting time.

United States
    Silent Hill. While I do love Resident Evil and a few of the sequels, Silent Hill was the only game that really creeped me out. It got to the point that I had to play it during the day because when I would turn the light out every little creak would remind me of those creepy school kid things.

Undisclosed
    its a tie between resident evil 2 and silent hill 1. re 2 was the first psx game id ever played or bought and it scared me so bad i could only play it a couple of minutes at a time and never when i was alone at home ( i was really afraid of zombie movies then) and silent hill was just a spooky ass game with all the little details they had in the game and the way the world shifted from normal to evil. and the enemay warnign system of the staticy radio and the music made it easily one of the best if not maybe the best survival horror game in terms of nood.

and i loved all the bonus endings too and extra weapons and its one of the first survival horror games that let you plat in the first person perspective.

but in terms of which series had the best games consistently its resident evil. silent hill 1 was the best and 2 was ok but 3 was so bad i couldnt force myself to keep playing it and that made me not want to play 4.

re 1 was cool and 2 was the best 3 was ok it was more of an action game kind of how re 4 is and it had that dodge move which i dont know why it wasnt in more of the games. code veronica was great for the dreamcast and re4 is one of the best action game out there and its easily one of the best franchise reinventions ever. the re 1 remake was cool and re 0 was ok.

i never played the outbreak games nor the gun games.

United States
    gotta go with RE cuz it was the first of the 2 I played, and at the time it really wowed me

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Fiji
    Silent hill, it consistantly out performs RE in everyway possible. resident evil seems to rely on alot of monsters jumping out at you, and the horror of a flawed contol system. whereas Silent hill, slowly builds it's self into someting more than cheap laughs.

while it's outside the scope of the question, i have to say the RE sequels (excluding re4 which i haven't played) have steadly become more and more preposterous. while the silent hill series, really just gets better and better. SH4 was ****ing epic.

ViP

United States
    My gaming console days are long over but I did linger around long enough to enjoy the first few RE games. I had to give the vote to RE because I never even got in to Silent Hill. I played it once or twice, getting about 30 minutes into the game and never had the urge to go any further. Resident Evil on the other hand, I played extensively, especially the early games.

My vote for best RE game goes to RE2 but a close secod goes to Code Veronica. No zombie game has even come close but I must admit that these new modded out versions of Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green are giving the RE series a challenge, at least on the fun-factor and replay.

United States
    resident evil all the way....although silent hill does give you the creeps too though.
    good...bad.....im the one with the gun.

David says:
    think they covered Wolverine's pecker in that crap?
    loshermanodeloso@hotmail.com says:
    well ofcourse
    David says:
    guy gets a hard on and the last thing the bitch hears is SNIKT?

Isle of Man
    Damn this is a toughie. I love both series, though p2501 is right in that the RE series did get a little bland after a while...that is until RE4...and I am still reluctant to categorize that into a Resident Evil game since it is so...different...

...but I am going to have to say that Silent Hill is the better...it is generally creepier and a lot more innovative in its creatures in my opinion.

Administrator

England
    did you guys actually notice in my first post, i said stick to the original games, resident evil 1 and silent hill 1, this was meant to be a comparison of those

United States
    I noticed.

if it was based on all the games I'd change my vote to SilentHill, based on the fact that the SH games change and get better as they go along and RE was stuck in a time warp up untill RE4

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, having not really been into either franchise, I can say this:

Resident Evil 2 was pretty darn awesome. I remember playing the demo of that many years back on my mate's PS1 - I know, PS-ONE, geez - anyway not only did I complete the demo first time (and he kept dying) it was really creepy and had that GAR feel to it. Mind you, what's with all those friggin' doors??? I know, it loads the next room...but DAMN!

No wonder it was in the Top 5 Most Annoying Things In Games on that games show on Bravo...you know, the one with Dominic Diamond..."When Games Attack", that's right - that show was cool, they should do a second series...

Anyway, I've heard that Silent Hill is more about "atmosphere" for the conesseur (sp?) while Resident Evil goes for more of the "obvious scares", suited more for the cheap thrill MTV audience...is that a fair observation?

United States
    Before Resident Evil 4, I would have said Silent Hill. SH had a much better atmosphere and generally creepy vibe to it. The Resident Evil franchise was getting stale, with lame gimmick games like Survivor and Outbreak. RE4 came along and blew away my expectations. They really took what worked with the series, and raised it to the next level. With RE5, it looks like there is a desert setting, and *gasp!* running zombies! Can't wait.

Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    did you guys actually notice in my first post, i said stick to the original games, resident evil 1 and silent hill 1, this was meant to be a comparison of those
    I noticed, and that is why I answered with Silent Hill, as you can notice.

I would even say Silent Hill definately over Resident Evil 1...in the long run, I feel that RE1 is probably my least favorite.
    Last edited by idsaluteyoubub; 04-Mar-2006 at 07:55 PM.

United States

not only that coin

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn
    Before Resident Evil 4, I would have said Silent Hill. SH had a much better atmosphere and generally creepy vibe to it. The Resident Evil franchise was getting stale, with lame gimmick games like Survivor and Outbreak. RE4 came along and blew away my expectations. They really took what worked with the series, and raised it to the next level. With RE5, it looks like there is a desert setting, and *gasp!* running zombies! Can't wait.
    did you see the con stills from the fight scenes for re 5? looks better than 4.

Quote Originally Posted by idsaluteyoubub
    I noticed, and that is why I answered with Silent Hill, as you can notice.

I would even say Silent Hill definately over Resident Evil 1...in the long run, I feel that RE1 is probably my least favorite.

have you tried the remake of 1 on gamecube yet bub? its much better than the original for playstation.
    Last edited by losherman; 05-Mar-2006 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    good...bad.....im the one with the gun.

David says:
    think they covered Wolverine's pecker in that crap?
    loshermanodeloso@hotmail.com says:
    well ofcourse
    David says:
    guy gets a hard on and the last thing the bitch hears is SNIKT?