Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the outbreak?

Being Attacked

England

Why the outbreak?

I do like the fact that in the GAR movies we dont really get a solid explanation for the dead returning to life, but I guess most of us have our own explanations we like over others. If pressed, what would you say caused the outbreak:

1. Virus/infection ( of human or alien origin)

2. Voodoo

3. Judgment day

4. Who the hell cares it's just cool

Feel free to offer other possible reasons

England
    No.4 for me. It doesn't matter. I don't want to know.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

United States
    The same - # 4. If a certain cause was pinned down, then the plausibility of it would be argued about continually, and critics would have even more ammo to nay say things about the genre (which, I acknowledge happens all the same, but why give yet another reason?).
    It's more interesting to me to mull over different reasons without commiting to one fully.

Canada
    #4 as well. I never really did concentrate on the why, in GAR's movies,
    neither did he give solid answers.
    Unlike Return of the living dead when the reason is
    shown right in your face

Undisclosed
    # 4, makes for a better story if you dont know where it came from, if you did, you could solve the problem, and me personally I like the whole mess the way it is , without any explanation , so in the words of that famous poet " WHO CARES"
    Last edited by lullubelle; 08-Nov-2008 at 05:01 PM.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

United States

OK, I'll be different...

I will say #1. I always figured it was viral/bacterial in it's nature anyway, whatever the reason for it initially happening. Most evidence points to that anyway (a zombie bites someone and they die). No hope.

Not knowing exactly what caused it makes it more interesting. Who was "Patient Zero"? Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things?

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Not knowing exactly what caused it makes it more interesting. Who was "Patient Zero"? Does it really matter in the overall scheme of things?
    Well in the case of Romero's movies there wouldn't really be a 'patient zero' because every dead person comes back to life. Though when you have a mythos where the infection is only spread by transmission (bites etc.) the question of the cause is more likely to come up as some sort of virus or disease.

So I'll say #4 as a general rule since it effectively ends any complications with the story that you'd get if you tried to explain it .

Super Moderator

United States
    Looking at the list, I'd have to say Voodoo hits me as the least I'd like to see, but any of those 4 could be enjoyable, if used properly.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Norway
    The unknown is allways the most scary, so to keep the horror aspect as much as possible so 4 is the most scary.
    Also everytime I seen a reason in a movie or comic they spend too much time on explaining the reason and the goverment conspiracy behind it taking away from the survival and zombie action.
    Last edited by Trencher; 08-Nov-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    there doesn't seem to be any one theory that covers all the bases as to why the outbreak occurs. since being bitten causes a person to sicken, die and then reanimate, that suggests that it is a virus or bacteria that is communicable through saliva. i don't know of anyone in the romero series that is infected through contact with blood or other fluids from a zombie.

however, since every person who dies comes back no matter what the original cause of death is, the virus theory doesn't seem to apply. unless it is a virus or bacteria that just about every one has been exposed to (this is possible, i don't think you'd find many people who haven't been exposed to the flu or the common cold) and lies dormant until a person dies. that would explain why a bite would infect an otherwise healthy person. the virus would've become active in the zombie and be transmittable through saliva.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    Its got to be number 1 - virus for me,because any other reason isnt plausible!i dont like it when everyone who dies,bitten or not, turns zombie,i just find that a bit daft!

Administrator

England
    I Am shocked no-one has said space probe radiation.

And you guys call yourselves romero fans?

United States
    I got to go with #4,I really don't care what the cause of the outbreak is.
    Last edited by Bub666; 09-Nov-2008 at 01:45 AM.

United States
    If i had to pick a cause, I'd go with Earth pole-reversal screwing with the electrical field, which plays havok with the chemolectrical function of the human brain, which in turn is what's causing dead bodies to still function.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I Am shocked no-one has said space probe radiation.

And you guys call yourselves romero fans?
    radiation from a satellite sent to Venus, or that "there's no more room in Hell" .