Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Banned User

Undisclosed

Thumbs up Night of the Living Dead (1990)

I generally don't like remakes but this was awesome. Savini did a great job and so did Romero with the script. What is the general consensus for this movie?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    not to speak for anyone else but i think you'll find the general consensus here to be positive. personally, i think it is a great little film that is hampered by a few pesky things - one being the lack of any real juice to the kills and the relative absence of blood. granted, most of that was beyond savini's control but is still irksome.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Dead

Undisclosed
    I'd have to agree with Mike about the general consensus around here to be positive. To me it actually ranks up with Dawn as one of my favorites, although since it was the first in the series I saw it just holds a special place in my heart. Plus Tony Todd kicks ass.

Undisclosed
    I thought it was one of the few really good remakes. Well done, Savini!
    'Looks like God left the phone off the hook, huh baby?'

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I like Savini's night remake. Imo the only good remake of Romero's work. The only thing I didn't like about it was Patricia Tallman. Most people will disagree with me on this, but I just didn't like her in the part all that much.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The only thing I didn't like about it was Patricia Tallman. Most people will disagree with me on this, but I just didn't like her in the part all that much.
    *approaches jason. drops glove*

choose your weapons, sir.

"The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Love it. IMO should be the textbook on how a remake is done. 99% faithful to the original, but with just enough tweaks & twists to make it fresh & interesting. Great performances/cast. Like Mike, the only flaw would be the lack of gore, but I totally understand the reasons why & can totally forgive & overlook. Totally worthy entry.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Love it. IMO should be the textbook on how a remake is done. 99% faithful to the original, but with just enough tweaks & twists to make it fresh & interesting. Great performances/cast. Like Mike, the only flaw would be the lack of gore, but I totally understand the reasons why & can totally forgive & overlook. Totally worthy entry.
    I agree. It's a remake I can actually watch and enjoy which is rare...

Besides GAR who was producing it - Russell Streiner and John Russo

And Tony Todd was great in it!
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 04-Oct-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

Undisclosed
    its cool that its well lked by actual fans. the lack of gore didnt bother me so much because the original didnt rely on gore at all to scare us, other than the feeding scene after the gast-tank explosion, but that was kept more or less in the remake albeit a bit shorter. Its interesting that they have some of the uncut footage in the 'making of' on dvd, maybe we will see a directors cut edition some day?

Also, its weird seeing bill mosley playing Johnny, especially after seeing Devils Rejects.

United States
    night '90 isn't as good as the "big 3", but i would rank it 4th on my all-time favorite zombie movie list, way better than land, dawn 04, 28 days/weeks, or any of the other romero-inspired zombie films.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    Also, its weird seeing bill mosley playing Johnny, especially after seeing Devils Rejects.
    Actually it was weirder for me to see Mosley playing Chop Top in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 in 86 and then seeing him all dressed 'prim and proper' for Johnny in Night 90.

Is it me or is the Chop Top character sorta revised a little more seriously for Otis Driftwood in Devils Rejects?

Banned User

Undisclosed
    LoL i remember him in TCM2 he was hilarious. Hugely misunderstood and underated movie

Apparently he actually asked rob zombie if he wanted him to play Otis like Choptop in Rejects and Rob Zombie suggested he play it more like charles manson mixed with chop top

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    Apparently he actually asked rob zombie if he wanted him to play Otis like Choptop in Rejects and Rob Zombie suggested he play it more like charles manson mixed with chop top
    Wow, I never knew that.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    yeah i believe bill mosley says it in the special features of the 2-disc version of devils rejects.

United States
    I really like the remake...and it was the first Romero film I got to watch in the theater, on the big screen! I was technically too young to see it, but the place I went to was lax

I loved how the end was tweaked to fit as a lead in to Dawn. Very nice touch! It "flows" pretty effortlessly. When introducing Romeros films to anyone, I start them with this and then show Dawn and, to them, the individual movies fit fairly seamless together, storyline and mood wise.

Also, I like the way the zombies look in here better than any of the other films. Savini really hit the nail on the head by saying, "Take away the eyes, and you take away the person.", on the comentary of the dvd. All these zombies have milky white eyes which really gives them that added touch of being...unsettling. Ever since I saw this movie, this is how I always imagined zombies to look; quiet, white eyes, and walking slowly and disjointed. The zombies in this movie is what all zombies should aspire to be like.

That's my two cents.