Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quite un-zombielike

United States

Quite un-zombielike

I was just watching Land and I noticed that in the scene when Kaufman's being attacked by the Cholo zombie and Big Daddy tosses the burning oil thing down at him Cholo looks at the same place that Kaufman does rather than go in for the kill.

I don't know, it seems a little off to me.

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quite a good bit of the zombie stuff in Land seems "off".

One could argue that Cholo had just turned, had a bit more of a sense of awareness, etc. etc., but in the end it doesn't really hurt the film or the scene that bad.

If any zombie activity stands a chance of harming Land, it's Big Daddy. His walking, his screaming....it's all off. It's a shame too, because it's a great character......just wasn't executed very well. Wrong actor for the part.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

One could argue that Cholo had just turned, had a bit more of a sense of awareness, etc. etc., but in the end it doesn't really hurt the film or the scene that bad.

If any zombie activity stands a chance of harming Land, it's Big Daddy. His walking, his screaming....it's all off. It's a shame too, because it's a great character......just wasn't executed very well. Wrong actor for the part.
    But you have to remember Big Daddy was showing this awarness also and the argument I suppose could be that all the zombies were getting more intelligent.

United States
    You could assume that the "activity excites them" and it was just natural for the Cholo-zombie to look when he heard a noise.

Super Moderator

UK
    Zombies getting more intelligent in general as well as the theory of "just turned" - with Cholo just turning, he was slowly killing off that last shred of humanity within him. Likewise with Roger in Dawn of the Dead (this had previously been referenced by GAR or maybe it was Scott...), anyway, Roger as a zombie had that moment when he rose of recognising his surroundings and recognising Peter as his last sliver of humanity vanished.

I'd say it's due to Cholo being newly turned with the advanced state of the virus itself.

As for Big Daddy, I thought BD was pretty cool, not the best zombie - he's no Bub that's for sure - it just came down to Clark not pulling it off with Sherman style excellence.

Haiti
    Big Daddy was OK, but what was all the "RRAAAGHHH, RRAAAAGHHH" stuff about? Was he evolving into an undead Boney M fan or something?
    "RRAAAAGH, RRAAAAGH, Rasputin"?
    The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.
    Marquis De Sade.

Dead

Undisclosed
    All that screaming that Big Daddy did killed the character. Very "un-zombie like". They should have stuck with the one armed Mexican. Perhaps since it had been twenty years, perhaps they should have consulted Bub?

United States
    They probably should have made Blades the lead zombie

"You bitchass zombie mother****er, I swear to God I'll **** you up"

Official member of the Zombie Man Fan Club est. 2007

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitreya View Post
    They probably should have made Blades the lead zombie
    that would have rocked if blades was the lead zombie. i wish i would have seen more of tom savini's character in this movie.
    we keep it real gangsta down here in canada. ehh

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jdog View Post
    that would have rocked if blades was the lead zombie. i wish i would have seen more of tom savini's character in this movie.
    That would have been better than Big Daddy. I was a little let down that Blades was seen for mere seconds.

Super Moderator

UK
    But didn't you think that the Blades zombie was also a bit too "un-zombie-like" in his movements? I watched that clip again when flicking through the Sky Movies channels and suddenly thought that Savini's zombie acting wasn't exactly up-to-snuff, the movements were a bit-too fluid.

Still, the movie rocks balls!

Undisclosed
    well, savini felt that 20 years, if they are getting smarter, he would have mastered his movements by now and was more of a predator-type zombie. and yes, big daddy was a bad zombie. howard sherman did the "getting smarter" idea brilliantly. eugene clark just... it wasn't a zombie. bad acting. but, i still looove land.

Undisclosed

Big Daddy = MINT

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post

Cant believe you didn't like Big Daddy. The only thing I thought was a bit much was the level of emotion he showed to other zombies, that was a bit OTT.

"I dont know whats better getting laid or getting paid, I just
    know that when I get one the others getting away!"

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah but there's a different between getting smarter and suddenly regaining the ease of movement of a living, breathing human. Zombies will have eased up a bit, but will still shamble around (like a drunken teenager with a sore ankle, if you will).

The zombies may be smarter, and be better at controlling themselves ... but if your body fails you, your brain isn't going to help you out too much (for instance, Stephen Hawking - brilliant mind, but his body is crippled), so with the onset of rot (albeit slowed down because of the virus) Savini's zombie machete swinging should have been more like the Butcher zombie, jerky with mostly-controlled swings.

Oooh ... can you taste the sheer pedantism?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbib View Post
    Cant believe you didn't like Big Daddy. The only thing I thought was a bit much was the level of emotion he showed to other zombies, that was a bit OTT.

No, no. I like the idea of the character. Great idea from Romero. It's just that Eugene Clark couldn't pull it off all to well. His emotion was a bit much but his zombie walk REALLY dug into my nerves. He had no zombie walk. Some scenes he would be shambling, and others he would just be walking like you and I.

And Minion has a good point....he was TOO controlling. I think it would have been great if Clark had some more time/help with the character or if Romero had chosen a different actor.

But yeah....I like the idea behind Big Daddy and some of what turned out in the film. Next to Bub, he's the coolest zombie out there. IMO, of course.