Thread: Rise of The Planet of The Apes Trailer

Undisclosed

Rise of The Planet of The Apes Trailer

Went to see the Harry Potter finale today (which I thought ended the franchise nicely. ) and they had the trailer for this abomination of a movie. Did the producers hire that proverbial roomful of monkeys with typewriters, hoping for Shakespeare?

Man, this looked more like a sequel to Deep Blue Sea than any kind of ape movie and the CGI? The makeup for Tim Burton's little misfire at least had real people behind it, and the latest Kong is still light years ahead of this crap.

This is a run don't walk from this turkey, and this is just from the trailer. It's just plain bad.

Wayne Z

"As God is My Witness, I thought Turkeys could fly. "
    WKRP in Cincinnati

United States
    Yeah, I saw the trailer too and the whole time I was thinking: "What the hell are those furry CGI things? Are those supposed to be apes???"

I've never understood Hollywood's obsession with CGI as it almost always looks like shit to me. I hate CGI and think it's cheap. Films made back in the 70's/80's when they used models/plastic prosthetics seem more realistic to me in many cases as opposed to CGI. I miss the days when things looked "real".

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 16-Jul-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it still has potential. I would have preferred make up on humans rather than CGI, but it's just not very realistic to expect that these days. CGI is more efficient so they're obviously going to go that direction. Not to mention this is the "Rise" of the apes, so they need to be like the apes we have now rather than the more human-like apes of the original series.

Most of the CGI actually looks pretty good, imo. The close shot of Ceasar looking around his cage looks great. The rest I imagine they'll be working on right up until the release. Much like Green Lantern, people were concerned with the poor CGI in the trailers but that was definitely improved upon in the final release. It turned out to be least of people's problems with that film.

So yeah....i'm willing to give it a chance. I'm a huge fan of the original films so i'm hoping for the best. It may surprise us in the end. I would love for a continuing series. Maybe if it does well the sequels will change into the more human-like apes of the past.

Super Moderator

United States
    Weird, I thought thew cgi was fine. Much better than rubber masks for what they're trying to accomplish.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I keep seeing this on TV! Sick of it!
    Other than that, I guess it looks good, but... I'm sorry, I just can't care. Another movie with a lot of special effects about something that was new decades ago. Not really appealing.

United States
    Have you read the online Rise of the Planet of the Apes prequel comic yet? http://www.apescomics.com/

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    The trailer makes it look like the apes are still in an early developmental stage and can't really talk yet. So it's basically just gonna be a bunch of monkees attacking humans. Fun, fun, fun.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Hey Hey we're the Monkees! And people say we monkey around!
    Gosh, they're cool.
    Oh yeah... Tim Burton DID do a Planet of the Apes movie, huh? Completely forgot about it...

United States
    Noticed a difference between the US and International versions of the Rise trailer.

Why does the US trailer mention the "cure" while the international trailer references the phrase "cure for Alzheimer's" ?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse