Thread: Not quite zombies...

United States

Not quite zombies...

but a darned good movie nonetheless. SEVERED: Forest of the Dead is a film by Carl Bessai and Screen Media Films. Here's a synopsis:
    A group of young environmental activists become infected ravenous unstoppable zombies when a forestry company's genetic experimentation goes disastrously wrong. Sheer terror can't pump enough adrenaline through these bodies to help them out of this remote forest in this gruesome tale of horror. Severed stands heads (and other body parts) above the rest!

Okay, the description doesn't do this smart little film justice. I was a little wary of the claims this film (especially since the narrative doesn't make a whole lot of sense.) The film stars Paul Campbell, who, some of you may remember, played Billy in Battlestar Galactica (the new episodes) a wide eyed, naive young lad, son of the man who owns the logging company. What he finds when he arrives at the site is horrifying. Once the film starts moving, it doesn't stop.

Now, I had a hard time trying to figure out whether these creatures were zombies or not. They seemed to follow after Danny Boyle's zombies from "28 Days Later" what with the nearly instant transformation from human to drooling, jaundice skinned flesh craving ghouls, yet they shambled, quite convincingly, much like Romero's walking dead.

The makeup was excellent, plenty of blood and gore, as well as death by chainsaw, axe and club, ala Evil Dead. There were so many comparisons to other movies, I don't know where to start. Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Romero's movies, Friday the 13th. There was a small segment that seemed to stretch on forever that smacked of Apocalypse Now, culminating in a familiar scene that will be instantly recognizable to everyone (Miguel, anyone?).

Zombies? You'll have to decide. Headshots took them down, but so did shots to the torso. They had a singlemindedness when it came to eating, just as Romero's dead, yet I don't think they were dead, necessarily. It's too easy to get caught up in the semantics, so just try to enjoy the film for what it is.

There were several spots where I actually jumped, and that doesn't happen often. I cheered as I watched the silly environmentalists who chained themselves to tree's shout for help as the dead/infected advanced.

This film has it's problems, but it's an excellent attempt at zombie horror. The remote locale, the shambling pseudo corpses, the sense of hopelessness all add up to an excellent ride.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    sounds interesting.....common at blockbuster?
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States

whoops...

This shoulda been in the Dead Discussion forum...

Quote Originally Posted by radiokill
    sounds interesting.....common at blockbuster?
    yep... that's where I rented it. It's worth the $3.49
    Last edited by deadwrtr; 08-Aug-2006 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    What a coincidence! I just rented this thing last night.....haven't watched it yet, tho.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It is in my queue of film at BB online.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned User

United States
    I almost bought this the other day at walmart but wasn't sure. The last time I bought a zombie flick without watching it was contaguim.
    I may reconsider.

Super Moderator

United States
    S'funny, I saw an add for this on Movies on Demand lastnight when I went to turn off my TV, it definitely piqued my curiosity.

Anyone else see this film?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Sounds like a good one...I have probs renting zombie movies the video store I rent from dont have alot of movies so I have to buy them. Now that sucks! But, I will go looking for it! Thanks for the heads up about the movie!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbieangel
    Sounds like a good one...I have probs renting zombie movies the video store I rent from dont have alot of movies so I have to buy them. Now that sucks! But, I will go looking for it! Thanks for the heads up about the movie!
    try signing up for Blockbuster Online rentals....that's where my gal and I rent most of our movies. They have a pretty nice selection....although,....I've been trying to find a movie called Niagra Niagra for a few years now and NOBODY seems to have it!!!! (it's a GREAT Robin Tuney/Henry Thomas movie about a girl with Tourette's syndrome on the hunt for a "Black Barbie Make-up Head")

ADDED: after watching SEVERED: Forest of the Dead

This is why I cannot appreciate the recent remakes of older zombie movies. SEVERED is very enjoyable with a decent, original plot. (and nobody had to steal the name of an older movie to make it enjoyable!!)
    deadwrtr is right on spot with the comparisons, so no need to repeat all that.
    I'm glad I picked it up and gave it a try.....WELL worth watching!
    Last edited by Adrenochrome; 08-Aug-2006 at 09:20 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrtr
    This shoulda been in the Dead Discussion forum...

yep... that's where I rented it. It's worth the $3.49
    I picked up "Servered" at the video store today...I hope it is good as you said. I cant believe my video store had it? I also picked up a non zombie movie called "Death Tunnel" its about the Waverly Sanitorium ...it was a place they put people with tuberculosis years ago, if you watch "Ghost Hunters" last season they went there to debunk it.It came out they said it definitely had paranormal happenings there. Also there was a special about the Sanitorium the film company that filmed there said there were freaky "happenings" while they were filming. I havent watched either one of these movies I just hope they are good as they look!!! Thanks for the heads up on "Servered".

Super Moderator

United States
    I just finsihed watching it (and it's only 5 am here, as i post this). Great film. I mean, for what it is, it's a great film. I was hoping for a bit more during the last 15 minutes, but that's just the hollywood moviegoer in me. They definitely took a less is more approach with the film, very minimalist score and some decent character development a mong the primaries. I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for posting about it deadwrtr, and thank you, Andreno, for seconding it!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 05-Sep-2006 at 09:12 AM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany