Thread: Dawn of the Dead Blu Ray

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Dawn of the Dead Blu Ray

So I found the original Dawn of the Dead on BR for only 10 bucks at Best Buy. I had been holding off on getting Dawn and Day on the format because I had rented Day and couldn't really tell if it was any better than the standard DVD upscaled through a BR player.

When I get home and check out Dawn, I notice there's something different about the image. First of all....I'm still not convinced that the BR is any better than the DVD upscaled, but that's neither here nor there.

My concern is this - When I view my UE Standard DVD version of Dawn there are really tiny black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I don't have the film in front of me at the moment, but I would say they can't be any larger than half an inch. But when I put in the BR I noticed that the bars are not there.

Does this mean that the BR is cropped? Or perhaps it's wrong on the standard DVD? I'm not good with most technology jargon, so could someone help me out here? Is there an obvious difference?

Either way....you can't beat Dawn for 10 bucks, so check your Best Buy if you don't already have it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    When I view my UE Standard DVD version of Dawn there are really tiny black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I don't have the film in front of me at the moment, but I would say they can't be any larger than half an inch. But when I put in the BR I noticed that the bars are not there.
    Wasn't Dawn (just like Day) shot in 4:3?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They also have day of the dead as well as the dawn remake for the same price guys. I've already ordred them !! lol

Hey, 3 of my favorite movies for that price is an offer too good to pass up. I own them on standard dvd so there's no way i would have paid full price. I'll let you guys know if i see any difference.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Wasn't Dawn (just like Day) shot in 4:3?
    nooo....
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    nooo....
    What do you think it was shot in then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

United States
    Yes, it was shot in 4x3. I've seen Dawn released in 4:3, 1.85:1. 1.78:1 & 1.66:1. Each time we have gotten a non 4:3 release, we've been told it was the director's original intended aspect ratio, even though it tends to change each time.

Undisclosed
    I have Dawn of The Dead on Blu-Ray. Think it looks pretty good in HD. Grant it thoe I dont have a full 1080p HD TV set. I just have a 720p Plasma.So I cant comment on how good Dawn of The Dead looks in full HD.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Yes, it was shot in 4x3. I've seen Dawn released in 4:3, 1.85:1. 1.78:1 & 1.66:1. Each time we have gotten a non 4:3 release, we've been told it was the director's original intended aspect ratio, even though it tends to change each time.
    If I recall Night, Dawn, Day and Night 90 were all shot in 4:3...
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Dawn is shot in 1.85 1 aspect ratio, 4x3 is 1.33:1

Dunno bout the others...this is what all my doovde copies say anyway

4x3 is SD TV resolution of something like 720x576 (16x9 is 1024x576 - I think...I always get these things confused)

Anyway if dawn was shot 4x3 then every widescreen picture would either be stretched so everyone looks fat or would have black bars down the sides of the screen - when viewed on a 16x9 telly
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 27-Oct-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.