Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bizarre phobias list...!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

bizarre phobias list...!

Here are some of the bizarre phobias that people have been diagnosed with - I'm sure you'll agree that we probably have it much easier than people who've been diagnosed with "Fear of everything"!! Count your lucky stars!!

Alektorophobia- Fear of chickens.
    Alliumphobia- Fear of garlic.
    Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions (but 9/10 people who suffer from this leave before the diagnosis)
    Ambulophobia- Fear of walking.
    Anablephobia- Fear of looking up.
    Anglophobia- Fear of England or English culture, etc.
    Angrophobia - Fear of anger or of becoming angry.
    Anthrophobia or Anthophobia- Fear of flowers.
    Apeirophobia- Fear of infinity. (Does anyone else find that a bit odd....fear of a concept of endlessness?)
    Aphenphosmphobia- Fear of being touched. (Haphephobia)
    Apotemnophobia- Fear of persons with amputations.
    Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. (It can't be pleasant....but still!!)
    Arithmophobia- Fear of numbers.
    Astrophobia- Fear of stars or celestial space. (how do you become scared of this and how does it realise itself??)
    Asymmetriphobia- Fear of asymmetrical things. (must be hard to measure everything just in case...)
    Atomosophobia- Fear of atomic explosions. (hardly something that'll shock you whilst you're asleep....)
    Aulophobia- Fear of flutes.
    Aurophobia- Fear of gold.
    Auroraphobia- Fear of Northern lights.
    Automatonophobia- Fear of ventriloquist's dummies, animatronic creatures, wax statues - anything that falsly represents a sentient being.
    Ballistophobia- Fear of missiles or bullets. (well DUH! Anyone without this phobia surely has a death wish??!)
    Barophobia- Fear of gravity. (goddamn Newton....)
    Bathophobia- Fear of depth. (Now that's bizarre...)
    Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles. (Aichmophobia)
    Bibliophobia- Fear of books.
    Bogyphobia- Fear of bogeys or the bogeyman.
    Cardiophobia- Fear of the heart. (This one escapes me....)
    Catapedaphobia- Fear of jumping from high and low places.
    Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting. (sitting!?!? there must be some tired people out there...)
    Cenophobia or Centophobia- Fear of new things or ideas. (otherwise known as Tabloid media)
    Cherophobia- Fear of gaiety. (otherwise known as "moody c*nt")
    Chromophobia or Chromatophobia- Fear of colors.
    Clinophobia- Fear of going to bed.
    Cometophobia- Fear of comets. (aren't phobias of things which pose no real physical threat fascinating??)
    Coitophobia- Fear of coitus. (ARE YOU MAD!??!)
    Contreltophobia- Fear of sexual abuse. (Just like the bullet one, if you're aiming to be abused you have issues!!)
    Coprophobia- Fear of feces. (bullet/missile phobia yet again...)
    Cypridophobia or Cypriphobia or Cyprianophobia or Cyprinophobia - Fear of prostitutes or venereal disease. (again, same thing...if you're not scared of contracting VD when sleeping with a hooker you probably deserve to catch it!!)
    Decidophobia- Fear of making decisions. (They didn't really go to town with the scientific name did they?)
    Demonophobia or Daemonophobia- Fear of demons.
    Dikephobia- Fear of justice. (One for Bush)
    Doxophobia- Fear of expressing opinions or of receiving praise.
    Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch.
    Eleutherophobia- Fear of freedom. (no, lock me up, please!)
    Enosiophobia or Enissophobia- Fear of having committed an unpardonable sin or of criticism.
    Epistemophobia- Fear of knowledge.
    Euphobia- Fear of hearing good news. (My baby is dead? BRILLIANT!)
    Eurotophobia- Fear of female genitalia.
    Francophobia- Fear of France or French culture. (Gallophobia, Galiophobia)
    Geliophobia- Fear of laughter.
    Geniophobia- Fear of chins.
    Genuphobia- Fear of knees.
    Germanophobia- Fear of Germany or German culture.
    Geumaphobia or Geumophobia- Fear of taste.
    Gymnophobia- Fear of nudity.
    Hagiophobia- Fear of saints or holy things.
    Hedonophobia- Fear of feeling pleasure.
    Hellenologophobia- Fear of Greek terms or complex scientific terminology. (look away NOW!!!)
    Helminthophobia- Fear of being infested with worms. (bullet phobia yet again)
    Heresyphobia or Hereiophobia- Fear of challenges to official doctrine or of radical deviation. (whole nations suffer from this...)
    Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia- Fear of the number 666. (WTF??!)
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words. (this one is CRUEL!)
    Ideophobia- Fear of ideas.
    Iophobia- Fear of poison.
    Ithyphallophobia- Fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis. (WHA??)
    Japanophobia- Fear of Japanese. (Otherwise known as racism)
    Judeophobia- Fear of Jews. (ditto above)
    Kainolophobia or Kainophobia- Fear of anything new, novelty.
    Kinetophobia or Kinesophobia- Fear of movement or motion.(has good relationship potential with "fear of sitting down" people...)
    Kopophobia- Fear of fatigue. (must be quite tiring to have that!)
    Kosmikophobia- Fear of cosmic phenomenon
    Leprophobia or Lepraphobia- Fear of leprosy.
    Levophobia- Fear of things to the left side of the body. (just turn around then!!)
    Linonophobia- Fear of string.
    Liticaphobia- Fear of lawsuits (michael jackson suffers from this)
    Logophobia- Fear of words. (no use in reading this)
    Melophobia- Fear or hatred of music. (otherwise known as Backstreet Boys fans)
    Metrophobia- Fear or hatred of poetry.
    Mnemophobia- Fear of memories - (just forget the name of this phobia, it's for the best...)
    Mythophobia- Fear of myths or stories or false statements.
    Nephophobia- Fear of clouds.
    Nomatophobia- Fear of names.
    Novercaphobia- Fear of your step-mother. (not unreasonable...)
    Octophobia - Fear of the figure 8.
    Olfactophobia- Fear of smells.
    Ommetaphobia or Ommatophobia- Fear of eyes.
    Oneirophobia- Fear of dreams.
    Oneirogmophobia- Fear of wet dreams.
    Opiophobia- Fear medical doctors experience of prescribing needed pain medications for patients. (pray to god you don't get one of these doctors...!!)
    Optophobia- Fear of opening one's eyes. (who said that??)
    Panophobia or Pantophobia- Fear of everything. (That's gotta be a tough one...)
    Paraskavedekatriaphobia- Fear of Friday the 13th. (well, it's a good movie...very scary!)
    Peladophobia- Fear of bald people.
    Pentheraphobia- Fear of mother-in-law. (Novercaphobia)
    Philemaphobia or Philematophobia- Fear of kissing.
    Philophobia- Fear of falling in love or being in love.
    Phobophobia- Fear of phobias. (Is this just getting silly or is it me?)
    Plutophobia- Fear of wealth.
    Politicophobia- Fear or abnormal dislike of politicians.
    Polyphobia- Fear of many things (don't hold back there doc, just give me your best diagnosis....)
    Porphyrophobia- Fear of the color purple (I hate Spielberg too...don't worry)
    Proctophobia- Fear of rectums.
    Rhabdophobia- Fear of being severely punished or beaten by a rod, or of being severely criticized. Also fear of magic.(wand)
    Russophobia- Fear of Russians.
    Sesquipedalophobia- Fear of long words.
    Sophophobia- Fear of learning.
    Teutophobia- Fear of German or German things.
    Tyrannophobia- Fear of tyrants.
    Urophobia- Fear of urine or urinating.
    Venustraphobia- Fear of beautiful women.
    Xanthophobia- Fear of the color yellow or the word yellow.

United States
    Ballistophobia- Fear of missiles or bullets. (well DUH! Anyone without this phobia surely has a death wish??!)
    <--lol wut?

Dikephobia- Fear of justice. (One for Bush)
    Sounds more like Hilary, actually; along with the "dike" part.

Japanophobia- Fear of Japanese. (Otherwise known as racism)
    Notice you didn't say that about the Germanophobia one. Selective outrage, eh?

Judeophobia- Fear of Jews. (ditto above)
    Jewish is not a race, it's a religion.

Judging by your color commentary, I can extrapolate the following: You are most certainly a white male, likely either in college or you have recently attended a school of so-called higher learning. You are most likely from England, though there is a small chance that you are from NEW England, which would not surprise me in the slightest. If you have ever voted, there is a 90% chance that you voted for Nader; if you did NOT, then you wished that you could bring yourself to have.

It's amazing what a single post can tell you about a person.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    Are you really 27 years-old as noted by your screen name?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    <--lol wut?

Sounds more like Hilary, actually; along with the "dike" part.

Notice you didn't say that about the Germanophobia one. Selective outrage, eh?

Jewish is not a race, it's a religion.

Judging by your color commentary, I can extrapolate the following: You are most certainly a white male, likely either in college or you have recently attended a school of so-called higher learning. You are most likely from England, though there is a small chance that you are from NEW England, which would not surprise me in the slightest. If you have ever voted, there is a 90% chance that you voted for Nader; if you did NOT, then you wished that you could bring yourself to have.

What's with the unnecessary outlash, man?

If you're going to take a stab at someone over a post then I figure I might as well do a little bit toward you. Judging by your "Jewish is not a race, it's a religion" comment, you sound like certain people I've come across that hold hostility toward people that are of different race than their own; they were extremely outraged that I said I was "part Jewish" and proceeded to call me childish names after ranting "You can't be part Jew, it's just a stupid religion".

Also: To call oneself Jewish, one immediately invokes a clutch of linguistic, religious, cultural and racial features that are held to be common within each ethnic category.

United Kingdom
    Polysteirene squeaking makes me shudder and eventually feel really nauseous, and I hate touching it. Other than that I'm not sure if I have a phobia.

Are these real medical terms or just latin words thrown together by an unqualified person to describe hypothetical phobias? I'm not having a go either way, just interested
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Fiji
    Years ago i worked with a girl that was absolutely terrified of people that had Downs syndrome.

it wasn't as funny as it should have been.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Years ago i worked with a girl that was absolutely terrified of people that had Downs syndrome.

But it's pretty funny to read about it

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    What I don't get is how does someone suddenly realize that they have a fear of infinity? I mean, you see a needle and freak out, or run into a Japanese person at McDonalds and suddenly find yourself wrought with anxiety- these are fears which it is probable that you might suddenly discover that you have. But fear of infinity? Just wondering how you figure out that you have that?

Hell, having neither experienced infinity on my own nor seen infinity, it occurs to me that maybe I have been walking around with the latent fear of infinity all this time and never knew it?
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    What's with the unnecessary outlash, man?

If you're going to take a stab at someone over a post then I figure I might as well do a little bit toward you. Judging by your "Jewish is not a race, it's a religion" comment, you sound like certain people I've come across that hold hostility toward people that are of different race than their own; they were extremely outraged that I said I was "part Jewish" and proceeded to call me childish names after ranting "You can't be part Jew, it's just a stupid religion".

Also: To call oneself Jewish, one immediately invokes a clutch of linguistic, religious, cultural and racial features that are held to be common within each ethnic category.
    No particular reason for my post; just felt like pointing a few things out.

When a kid is born, the race is not listed as Jewish. It's just a fact. I could say my race is Christian, or Budhist, but that doesn't make it so.

Also, the racial dig was cute. I'm the rare white guy lacking any sort of white guilt. See into that how you will.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    Nah it was just kind of . . .well. . .dickish. I know it's not a word, but it should be.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States

Also, the racial dig was cute. I'm the rare white guy lacking any sort of white guilt. See into that how you will.
    Sorry, Arcades, this is not meant personally, but rarely are any sort of racial digs "cute" and realistically they are likely to offend folks.

I know you probably did not intend to offend anyone with your post however I can see how your responses could be interpreted as combative towards the primary poster.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Fiji
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    But it's pretty funny to read about it
    true that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post

funny in the telling though for sure.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    First off, I call bull**** on alot of those. Second off, Anglophobia and all those things are not PHOBIAS. They are simply "distaste off". Anglophobes strongly distaste english culture, in the same way that Anglophiles like it.

I myself am a Japanophobe (or more like, anti-wapanese), but also a Germanophile. Doesn't mean I "fear" japanese culture. It just means I find it super-duper ridiculous and I roll my eyes whenever anyone talks about Final Fantasy or some new ****ty anime series or film.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It just means I find it super-duper ridiculous and I roll my eyes whenever anyone talks about Final Fantasy or some new ****ty anime series or film.
    <hellsing sharpens Katana>