Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, significant amounts of water on the moon :)

Administrator

England

So, significant amounts of water on the moon :)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    "You can break it down and have breathable air for crews. But also, if you have significant quantities of this stuff, you have the constituents of one of the most potent rocket fuels - oxygen and hydrogen."
    Wow. Just...wow. The implications are hard to wrap your mind around

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I can't wait to see Patrick Moore eat his hat over this one. Don't get me wrong, I love the cantankerous old bugger, but he was dead wrong in his very vocal belief that there was no water up there.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I can't wait to see Patrick Moore eat his hat over this one. Don't get me wrong, I love the cantankerous old bugger, but he was dead wrong in his very vocal belief that there was no water up there.
    Oh, he'll be eating his hat good and proper but unfortunately I can't understand a bloody thing he's saying half the time. I dunno if it's because he's so old or because he's had one too many sherries but his slurring is getting worse with every episode.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Oh, he'll be eating his hat good and proper but unfortunately I can't understand a bloody thing he's saying half the time. I dunno if it's because he's so old or because he's had one too many sherries but his slurring is getting worse with every episode.
    pretty sure its both, diamond had him on a sherry drip during his gamesmaster years

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    Wow. Just...wow. The implications are hard to wrap your mind around
    Amazing to think that the crater they 'bombed' hadn't seen direct sunlight for over 2,000,000,000 years
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Canada
    This is fake, we've never been to the moon. They just blew a crater up in Brazil. Yep.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    This is fake, we've never been to the moon. They just blew a crater up in Brazil. Yep.
    thats a lie, theres no water in brazil.

United States
    Interesting and all that, but isn't H2O a very common and easy chemical combination? I don't see why everyone is so surprised to find water in outer space, Hell, there are asteroids almost entirely made of the stuff. Neat find, but mostly a waste of money.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Interesting and all that, but isn't H2O a very common and easy chemical combination? I don't see why everyone is so surprised to find water in outer space, Hell, there are asteroids almost entirely made of the stuff. Neat find, but mostly a waste of money.
    That was my thinking, but i think its more the simple "finding stuff that can support life off world" notion. Like a thumbs up to go ahead and explore further y'know?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Neat find, but mostly a waste of money.
    It was a cheap project, so don't really see how it was a waste of money... Especially as given the right equipment, we can now obtain water and fuel from lunar soil...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Especially as given the right equipment, we can now obtain water and fuel from lunar soil...
    Thats what makes me uneasy. Honestly i could see whatever we evolve into in a million years bieng some kind of swarm like a locust that just goes around to different planets, wiping them clean of all resources and moving on.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Thats what makes me uneasy. Honestly i could see whatever we evolve into in a million years bieng some kind of swarm like a locust that just goes around to different planets, wiping them clean of all resources and moving on.
    Hell, why not? There are probably things like that out there already.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Hell, why not? There are probably things like that out there already.
    eh, i doubt it. i had this argument with a friend during a long car ride the other day. we both agreed that ufo's are bollocks, but he still thinks any possible life would be remotely like us because its made of the same stuff, i just pointed out that a rocks made out of the same stuff at the most basic level. There probably is life out there, but it is alien, evolved in a completely different environment, so the odds of something humanoid flying a machine is incredibly unlikely. I think science fiction and religious notions of higher power has us expecting this hyper evolved figures in gleaming space crafts when theres life out there that we might not even recognize as life. or vice versa, for all we know we might be a bigger fluke than we realize, music, language, machinery, for all we know the very things we take as stable facts of our existence might be totally alien in concept and simple reality to another life from from across the universe.
    The odds of any other life is quite likely i think, the odds of it having to have needed to evolve beyond a basic animal to something using tools is much, much more unlikely. maybe there was and they died out, maybe were the first, who knows?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    eh, i doubt it. i had this argument with a friend during a long car ride the other day. we both agreed that ufo's are bollocks, but he still thinks any possible life would be remotely like us because its made of the same stuff, i just pointed out that a rocks made out of the same stuff at the most basic level. There probably is life out there, but it is alien, evolved in a completely different environment, so the odds of something humanoid flying a machine is incredibly unlikely. I think science fiction and religious notions of higher power has us expecting this hyper evolved figures in gleaming space crafts when theres life out there that we might not even recognize as life. or vice versa, for all we know we might be a bigger fluke than we realize, music, language, machinery, for all we know the very things we take as stable facts of our existence might be totally alien in concept and simple reality to another life from from across the universe.
    The odds of any other life is quite likely i think, the odds of it having to have needed to evolve beyond a basic animal to something using tools is much, much more unlikely. maybe there was and they died out, maybe were the first, who knows?
    I've done a lot reading into the philosophical, biological and scientific sides of "astrobiology" and, really, the range of serious logical arguments, problems and theories is far more complex than I ever imagine before.

I'd recommend having a look at this article, which is basically a very fascinating thought experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

I'm of the persuasion that, since the universe is mind-blowingly larger than we can comprehend, even if life is extremely rare then there should still be millions and millions of worlds on which life has evolved. Of this vast number, I'd expect that there are or have been at least a handful of space-faring races that are roughly analogous to our own (not because there is anything special about the bipedal form, but simply due to chance and statistics - if you let a million monkeys each play with a Rubick's cube for long enough, at least one will solve the puzzle by sheer accident). I'm not talking about alien babes with pointy ears, pink flying saucers and silver space bikinis, I just mean creatures with sentience, individual will and an understanding of science and mathematics.

That said, I have doubts that we will ever contact them, even if they are out there:

1) Because they're probably spread out too much - we're talking millions and millions of light years

2) Because they may have come and gone billions of years before we evolved

3) If they are still around, they may see no benefit in contacting belligerent, warlike young races who largely cannot tolerate different world-views even within their own species but continue to blast radio signals into space and advertise their presence to all and sundry

It's also worth noting that, in nature, when two species compete for one ecological niche or habitat, one is almost always exterminated. Biological life, by definition, fights for survival and resources. It would appear to be in the natural evolutionary order of things that two intelligent planetary species would very likely become hostile to one another. The logical upshot of this is that space-faring life with experience of inter-species contact should naturally be aggressive or otherwise highly successful colonisers, because non-aggressive species would not survive the initial competition for resources.

Also my initial point concerning resource-consuming hives of space-locusts does not necessarily imply intelligent life. Just because a species has the ability to travel through space does not necessarily make it intelligent, not by our conception of intelligent, anyway.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 15-Nov-2009 at 02:46 PM.