Thread: Brits get tough on crime

Twitching

Undisclosed

Brits get tough on crime

Just kidding! Had you going there, didn't I?

Actually, a district council has just ordered a gardener, whose land has been invaded by thieves three times in four months, to take down the newly-erected strand of barbed wire along the top of his fence. Otherwise, the criminals might scratch themselves in the process of stealing from him, you see.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ders-told.html

Gee, I kinda thought that was the FRIGGIN' POINT of barbed wire. I was gonna sarcastically suggest that next they might require people to leave their doors unlocked so as not to cause burglars too much trouble getting in. But read to the bottom of the article -- they've already thought of that.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Jesus jumped-up Christ in a chariot driven side-car!!!!!

What?!?!?!?

Seriously??!!?

. . . . . . .

I mean. . . .

Seriously?!?!?!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Actually, a district council has just ordered a gardener, whose land has been invaded by thieves three times in four months, to take down the newly-erected strand of barbed wire along the top of his fence.
    That is messed up.How can they make the gardener take the fence down?

United States

Wow

I was gonna sarcastically suggest that next they might require people to leave their doors unlocked so as not to cause burglars too much trouble getting in.
    Lol.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    That council sounds retarded.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    That council sounds retarded.
    Same goes for the gubment who ultimately control them, f*ckin' ninnies.

This wank has to stop. I think home owners should be fully entitled to booby trap their entire houses if they so wish - but let people know about it, because practically speaking it's not much cop if they'd having a heart attack and some medics need to get there ... but principle wise, and for sake of argument, a home owner should be allowed to do what they wish within sensible reason (i.e. no land mines or such, ha!) to protect their home and family.

Once a burglar is inside someone else's house ... I say it's gloves off time. If you didn't wanna get effed up, you shouldn't have been tea-leafing.

It's beyond sick that the criminals can win in such court cases, beyond preposterous.

England
    We put razor wire round our fence at work after repeated thefts,and although we didnt get told to take it down,we had to put huge signs up right round the whole fence stating that it had razor wire on it,in case the poor theives cut themselves on it!back in the days when we lived in more sensible times,a lot of people cemented broken glass across the top of their garden walls to stop theives,that got banned though

Undisclosed
    Actually, a district council has just ordered a gardener, whose land has been invaded by thieves three times in four months, to take down the newly-erected strand of barbed wire along the top of his fence. Otherwise, the criminals might scratch themselves in the process of stealing from him, you see.
    What is an allotment? Is this property that the gardener is given permission to grow on, though not part of his own property? Is there a specific law that says "no barbed wire fence" around said allotment?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    What is an allotment? Is this property that the gardener is given permission to grow on, though not part of his own property? Is there a specific law that says "no barbed wire fence" around said allotment?
    From what I understand, an allotment is a private area where a gardener/horticulturist can reserve a plot for a small fee, generally through a gardener's guild or such. It's highly possible the folks who run said allotment may have their own rules in regards to erecting barbed wire on their property. Good point.

United States
    The whole thing is stupid - it shouldn't even be an issue. I mean, come on! A person makes a conscious decision to rob someone, then can't deal with the consequences and cries foul... It's like that woman years ago at McDonald's who spilt her coffee (the label on the cup clearly said it was 'hot', as if you wouldn't know that anyway), burnt herself, sued, and won! Something's really messed up to let stuff like that happen.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    It's like that woman years ago at McDonald's who spilt her coffee (the label on the cup clearly said it was 'hot', as if you wouldn't know that anyway), burnt herself, sued, and won! Something's really messed up to let stuff like that happen.
    I think some dude here did the same with one of their apple pies and won a similar case after he burned his mouth eating it. These laws nowadays seem pretty senseless but they are there.

Undisclosed
    Some kid broke into a factory, slimbed on the roof, fell through and broke his leg.
    The owner of the factory was sued.
    We are being oppressed by the so-called 'human rights' act which only seems to serve the intetests of dirtbags.
    FYI: Do you know that the Human Rights act applies to prisoners (rapists, serial killers, paedophiles, terrorists), but not to people in privately-run Old People's care homes?
    Thank you Cherie and Tony Blair.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    From what I understand, an allotment is a private area where a gardener/horticulturist can reserve a plot for a small fee, generally through a gardener's guild or such. It's highly possible the folks who run said allotment may have their own rules in regards to erecting barbed wire on their property. Good point.
    Now I understand better. The problem here is that it's not the gardener's private property. so the governing council's concern is over being sued in the event that someone is injured. If the locals are upset now, they would really be complaining over having to pay out a settlement due to injuries.

I also have to wonder that if thieves are cutting through steel locks just to get at tools in a shed, is barbed wire really a deterrent? Obviously, it could be more easily cut through than a steel lock, so why not use a deadbolt instead?

Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    It's like that woman years ago at McDonald's who spilt her coffee (the label on the cup clearly said it was 'hot', as if you wouldn't know that anyway), burnt herself, sued, and won!
    Oh, Lordy. Personal responsibility to avoid spilling hot liquid on oneself is not what the above-mentioned case was about, though insurance companies and corporations would certainly like for you and everyone else to believe that it was.

Super Moderator

UK
    Exactly, we need some common bloody sense ASAP, nay immediately.

Enough of this absolute idiocy that has caused all this crap, but also the current financial crisis - which essentially boils down to a bunch of idiots loaning stupid amounts of money to a bunch of idiots who know full well they can't pay it back.

Idiots need to be neutered ... by the neutering ninjas!

Mark my words, when I come to power, the neutering ninjas will be rolled out in grand style!