Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: So how do you see it all ending?

Undisclosed

Exclamation So how do you see it all ending?

I mean mostly for those of us here in the States but anyone can chime in. The more I see now a days the more worried I become for a country that I truly love.

How do you think that it is all going to end.

I'll listen to you (if any) and put my two cents in tomarrow.

Got nothing but time since my foot surgery.

p.s. walkers and crutches suck

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    nuclear plants exploding, chernobyl style. cant think of owt much worse than that, epsecially for you guys in america.

oh and theres a plus side with cruthces you can get people to stay about a 4 foot distance away in malls, thats allways good.

Fiji
    viral. WHO and the CDC are so terribly underfunded, i suspect if we do all get wiped out it'll be something viral, either naturally occuring, or man made.

United States
    I see it changing, not ending.

Super Moderator

UK
    Never mind the plants - the stockpiles of poorly secured nuclear waste is what to worry about. Some muppet interviewee said on Sky News this morning that all the nuclear waste we have awaiting permanent, secure stockpiling is just sitting there waiting to be blown up by a terrorist, which could cause a million deaths. Just another reason why this government is a waste of time, they're chasing Cameron around with childish slam-campaigns (which they said they wouldn't do) meanwhile there are hundreds and thousands of foreign criminals running loose and our nuclear waste is just waiting to be blown up by a terrorist.

Wake up guv'ment, spend some money on action instead of civil servants and red tape, morons!

United States

Viral

The sad, scary fact is that we live in a world where accidental diseases have already been created that approach 100%/100% contagious/lethality (or end-stage effect) in their targeted hosts. This isn't science fiction. I wish it was, but it's not.

I know that at least three of these diseases were created as an accidental byproduct of legitimate medical research. No, I can't describe them, as I am under several non-disclosure agreements.

I suspect that eventually something like this will get out and into the human population.

It's hard to imagine something that always kills everyone who contracts it, and that always infects everyone exposed. It's easy to imagine something killing most people, or simply rendering them susceptible to something else, or sterilizing or blinding almost every mammal on the planet or something like that.

The havok something like that would play on national infrastructure suggests that even two weeks of nationwide shutdonw/disruption would result in a downward spiral from which we (i.e. the West) could not recover.

As an example of potential chaos, the CDC recently released a plan wherein, in the case of pandemic flu, airline flight attendants would be allowed to diagnose and refer to quarantine anyone they suspected was sick. !!! Think about it - IF a very contagious and lethal disease began spreading through the population, the US government is willing to consider letting people with no medical training decide who goes into three-day quarantine and who can go free. Doctors? Test kits? Nah. Just flight attendants.

When you fly as often as I do, you come to the realization that most flight attendants are only marginally smarter than bugs, and not very well equipped to deal with anything more traumatic than a noisy child.

There are no medical facilities for holding people at airports in the US. I'm not sure they'd even have the authority (let alone the capability) to stop people from leaving anyway. I guess airport security could shoot folks, but that wouldn't lend itself to controlling a chaotic situation.

In other words, the capability to wipe ourselves out is well established (including the nuclear problems already mentioned). The ability to defend against or mitigate a nationwide catastrophe is not.

Blah!
    TZ
    TexasZombie
    http://www.geocities.com/eviloverlord668/afmain.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/9327/main.html

That which does not destroy me has made a very grave tactical error...

Canada
    well, the fatality rate for contracting ebola zaire is about 90% in some of the epidemics.....and it is easily contracted through blood and bodily fluids...I imagine it'll be through a virus, not this one neccessarilly, but I imagine a virus will do it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo
    well, the fatality rate for contracting ebola zaire is about 90% in some of the epidemics.....and it is easily contracted through blood and bodily fluids...I imagine it'll be through a virus, not this one neccessarilly, but I imagine a virus will do it.
    Oh, come on!

Canada
    what...dude, it could happen. Elaberate on the come on if you will.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo
    what...dude, it could happen. Elaberate on the come on if you will.
    too high of a population for a virus to "end it all".....simple enough explination.

Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    too high of a population for a virus to "end it all".....simple enough explination.

Not true at all. Get a highly contagious disease that spreads in highly communicable areas that has the tendancy to mutate and we got ourselves a possible endoftheworld scenario.

Black Death? Wiped out between 1/4 and 1/3 of the European population, mostly in the urban areas...not to mention the onslaught it caused in Asia...and this was a time where the rural to urban population was still relatively even...now that we have more cities and more people, these kinds of diseases would spread far more rapidly.

All I know is that if it does happen, I am going straight to Nebraska to meet Abigail

Undisclosed
    Fear not....the singularity is approaching....

Quote Originally Posted by idsaluteyoubub
    Not true at all. Get a highly contagious disease that spreads in highly communicable areas that has the tendancy to mutate and we got ourselves a possible endoftheworld scenario.

Black Death? Wiped out between 1/4 and 1/3 of the European population, mostly in the urban areas...not to mention the onslaught it caused in Asia...and this was a time where the rural to urban population was still relatively even...now that we have more cities and more people, these kinds of diseases would spread far more rapidly.

All I know is that if it does happen, I am going straight to Nebraska to meet Abigail

Well even the black death wasnt 100% fatal...people did live after contracting it....A disease seems pretty impossible senario to wipe out all of humanity....likely senario in a disease epidemic is:.....Outbreak....Chaos...Collapse of Society....Remission of Disease(for tons of different factors)...survivors rebuild....1% of the human population remaining is enough to repopulate....
    Last edited by Terran; 27-Apr-2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    I think some entire species of birds have been wiped out by viruses!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSteve
    I mean mostly for those of us here in the States but anyone can chime in. The more I see now a days the more worried I become for a country that I truly love.

How do you think that it is all going to end.

I'll listen to you (if any) and put my two cents in tomarrow.

Got nothing but time since my foot surgery.

p.s. walkers and crutches suck

I dont see it ever "ending"....the animal species known as humans will die out likely to simply be phased out by their own conscious choice....their minds will live on....the singularity is approaching...

Fiji

not even remotely.

the only thing that's kept the Ebola variant Zaire (the worst strain) contained in africa are the facts, it's fluid spread, and getting around in africa is so slow.

alot of the WHO worst cast scenerios involve an airborne strain of ebola (there is one that infects moneky) hitting a major population center on one of the costal regions of Africa. if it were to spread to europe or asia under the right circumstances. we'd be effectively ****ed.

doubt me?

try these

The coming Plagues - Lori Garnett
    The Hot zone - richard preston.