Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to find a resolution to the series?

Undisclosed

Is it time to find a resolution to the series?

My question is, should George make one more film and put an end to the Dead series? Should George write a film that will stop the plague and end what has been going on? I ask this because I believe in the original Day script, it was the end because the corpse they were guarding every day did not reanimate.

After watching Diary, and being horribly disappointed -- though I would say disappointed would be stating it lightly -- I think it might be time for George to hang up the series and try to go out on a bang. That means, write and ending to the series and have the phenomena stop.

This is the only thing that would get the bad taste of Diarrhea of the Dead out of my mouth and end the series for once and for all.
    "Totally Togepi!"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I'm not sure what to think. I agree Diary was a really bad movie. I would like to see why the dead are all getting up and trying to eat the living. I loved the version GAR did of Day. I think that was a really good movie. It showed the end of the world and threw in the science of trying to cope with what was going on. The idea of starting the human race was a cool idea hinted at in this movie. This movie felt like the story of Noah. It had a real Biblical feel to it.

Has GAR even mentioned what the caused the zombie out break? I know in the movies there have been speculations but never a clear reason. I like the movies 28 Days/Weeks and I also like that in Dawn '04 you have to be bitten to turn. All these movies seem to have the theme that science created the problem. I'd like GAR to deal with the reason behind his dead world. Maybe an ending would be a good thing for GAR to do.
    Last edited by Redman6565; 21-Jun-2008 at 01:56 PM.

United States
    It would be great if GAR could do a great epic"final" in the series, progress the phenomena to the very end...to show his vision of the vast wasteland and ruins that became of the world. To show how an understanding of what was happening or a "cure" was discovered. His vision of what brings it all to and end. To show the many struggles and utter chaos that would ensue for those who suurvived the entire series of events...If GAR could hit one more out of the ball park with an epic story that ties up all the loose strings. Maybe lay off the ultra heavy political commentary and just tell the story GAR..
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman6565 View Post
    I would like to see why the dead are all getting up and trying to eat the living
    I really wouldn't... Loved in Day of the Dead he played it perfectly between scientific and religious reasons... Great stuff!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I'm with neil on this, I don't need to know why or how these monsters are getting up and eating folks, I don't really wish to see a cure either.

I think that the WWZ ending is the best way of "wraping it up"...they never find a cure, but they do eventually get the situation under control once the panic and mass killings have stopped.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I guess GAR should be given one last chance. He hasn't made a great movie in 23 years, and Land (horrible) and Diary (slightly better) have created a level of bashing recently reseved for George Lucas or Ted Turner.
    I hate to say it, but it's probably over for him. He clearly has no idea how to write dialogue, and I don't think a silent movie is going to sell.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I think that the WWZ ending is the best way of "wraping it up"...they never find a cure, but they do eventually get the situation under control once the panic and mass killings have stopped.
    Can't do it that way. In WWZ, zombies are just "virus infected". In Romero's world, everyone that croaks gets back up. There'd always be way too many zombies getting back up in Romero's world; they wouldn't be able to just cap infrequent cases like in WWZ.

England
    I don't need a resolution to the series.

I am perfectly happy with no explanation of the dead coming back, and that it continues to happen.

Humanity, if they survive in large enough communes, will have to learn with it, or be destroyed.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

United States
    I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an "end" to the whole thing. I know doom and gloom is popular, but I don't care. Leaving the whole thing as "all heroes wind up either being eaten alive, or shot in the head. That is all. Until the end of time." absolutely sucks, in my view.

United States
    I am one of those, possibly in the minority, that liked Diary. In this regard, my response comes from a frame of mind that does not feel that Romero's ability to effectively convey his vision is fading.

These days there are so many zombie films, some good and some not so good, but all of them without fail share a singular thing in common: they all owe a great debt to Romero since it was his vision that created this particular genre of horror film.

One of the elements that make Romero's zombie genre unique is that there is no explanation for the dead coming back to life. One of the other elements that I have thought to be great is that in the Romero zombie world there is no end in sight for the conflict. This has left a canvas of sorts for other filmakers to come along and slop their own brand of paint on - they are free to interpret the genre in any way they see fit.

So here is my response to the idea that Romero should explain why the dead are coming back to life and should put forth a final film that definitively ends the zombie universe: Hell no.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I say mankind comes to an end. Extinct. Game over. The world was here for a few billon years before us and I'd imagine it will be here long after we are gone. Kill'em all.

Just been bitten

United States

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Can't do it that way. In WWZ, zombies are just "virus infected". In Romero's world, everyone that croaks gets back up. There'd always be way too many zombies getting back up in Romero's world; they wouldn't be able to just cap infrequent cases like in WWZ.
    True, but humanity could adapt to that. I imagine life would resemble Fido, but without zombie slaves and retro 50s fashions. Small, fortified towns, everyone armed, the elderly (& terminally ill) confined to prison-like nursing homes. I doubt many people would be willing to sleep in the same room, let alone the same bed. I guess you could put the bed in a cage and lock yourself in at night.
    God is Santa Claus for adults

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

Are you sure? I'm gonna have to read this again, I thought it was everybody who dies gets back up again, same rules as GARs universe.

Still, no hardship, I recently DL'd the audiobook, will listen to it this week.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Are you sure? I'm gonna have to read this again, I thought it was everybody who dies gets back up again, same rules as GARs universe.

Still, no hardship, I recently DL'd the audiobook, will listen to it this week.
    Don't believe so... Only those that get killed by the dead get back up again I believe in WWZ!!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well i would like to see that film thats final arc was something like a fort type situation and the dead finally stop appearing, they wait...and wait...and- then someone inside dies form the cold, lets say this is set in winter, and they dont get back up, they wait, and they just dont get up, then finally a few weeks later a caravan or something with some people shows up and more and more....
    something upbeat, ive gotten so sick of people saying there sick of upbeat endings and ending it ambiguously or badly that i need some films that go full circle and have a happyish ending again yknow?