Thread: Face to face with a legend!

England

Face to face with a legend!

Me and my dad having a nosey round the only working Tiger 1 in the world on sunday at Bovington tank museum!very impressive machine to see in person & its bloody huge!easy to see why there was a real fear of those things among allied soldiers during the war (along with that 88mm gun of course). it runs sweet as a nut after its restoration as well.
    Heres a few more pics from the day

If anyones interested il put some more up once i get them off my camera its a good day out down there,there was a lot of modern armour on display as well as a whole host of world war 2 stuff,the event was focused on british tanks this year so there were vehicles like the matilda,sherman firefly,comet,churchill & bren carriers etc driving around the arena,our stuff looks crap compared to the german vehicles though!

capncnut
    Good show! Looks like you had a fun day out at Bovington. It's always interesting to see those old WW2 relics, a good wholesome slice of British history, old chap.

Administrator

England
    Remember that WW2 Russian tank they pulled out of a bog somewhere a year or two ago? After a little bit of maintenance the engine ran!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    Ahhh Bovvy, I must go back sometime soon with my stepdad, now that I can appreciate everything so much more. Definitely put some more up, do you have any of the small arms cabinets (if they're still where I remember them being)?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Remember that WW2 Russian tank they pulled out of a bog somewhere a year or two ago? After a little bit of maintenance the engine ran!!
    They pull out quite a few every year from what I've seen. Russian tanks were built for reliability and ease of manufacturing so they definitely have a higher chance of running than any German (especially heavy) tanks pulled out of the ground . Also, mud from what I understand helps the preservation a lot.
    Last edited by Craig; 01-Jul-2008 at 10:04 PM.

England
    i didnt see any small arms cabinets there actually,i may have missed them though,but ive got a whole host of small arms photos from when i went to the royal armouries a couple of years ago

Chasing Prey

Canada
    VERY nice!!!

England
    I tell you what is a real shame,the state of the vehicles at the aberdeen ordnance museum in the states,ive never been but ive seen pictures of how all those rare & valuable tanks are just rusting away in a field they are relics of what is probably the biggest event in human history & should be looked after for future generations to look at in my opinion!

England
    Another one from that day