Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dawn!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

Red Dawn!

Classic! I just heard of this film and saw some clips on the tube!

The Soviets invade the US (and shoot a ****ing rocket launcher into a high school!) but encounter setbacks when a bunch of high school kids decide to fight back.

In a way, I'm not surprised I never heard of it sooner, because it seems like the kind of film people just want to bury and forget about.

Btw, I still can't get over the rocket launcher / high school thing. I can imagine that soldiers orders:

"Fire that rocket launcher into that school!"

"Uhm, why? They haven't resisted, and shouldn't we, like save our ammo and equipment for more serious threaths?"

"Do as I said! I'm evil, for no apparent reason. Bwahahahaha!!!"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Classic! I just heard of this film and saw some clips on the tube![/I]
    Just heard of it?? Man, it's a Cold War classic! My College Republicans chapter used to host a showing of it on campus every year.

Plans for a remake are even in the works. Although I can't imagine who they could pick for a credible villain.
    Last edited by Publius; 25-Nov-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    yeah ned, i am surprised you've just heard about this flick. like publius said, it's a cold war classic. it is also one of the most violent movies ever made (based on acts of violence per minute) and features probably the most ridiculous scenario of any movie ever. still, it is a fun ride and not to be taken too seriously.

now that you've brought it up, i haven't seen it in eons. i think i'll get my hands on a copy and give it a spin.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Wolverines!!!!!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

ViP

United States
    This was a childhood favorite of mine and I still get a kick out of it. Thanks for mentioning it, I think I'll give a spin soon myself. This movie is hardcore as hell, I love it!

United States
    I'm suprised you just heard of it too lol

Super Moderator

United States
    I may pop my copy of Red Dawn in now...

In fact, I even plan on running a game of Twilight 2000 soon. Mmmmm, I love Cold War kitsch!

The Soviets invade the US (and shoot a ****ing rocket launcher into a high school!) but encounter setbacks when a bunch of high school kids decide to fight back.[/I]
    Field Marshal Evil Ned *Rattling His Fist*: And I would have crushed capitalism once and for all, if it weren't for you durn kids!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Yep 100% 80's all the way. Fit right in with all the action movies, men's adventure series & post-apocalyptic fiction flowing forth during that golden age.

You might not have heard of Red Dawn as I think it's one of many movies that found their following on cable.

That movie is really touching to me (in an odd way) & has a lot of heart (schmaltzy as it may be).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Field Marshal Evil Ned *Rattling His Fist*: And I would have crushed capitalism once and for all, if it weren't for you durn kids!

Oh man, now I only wish someone would make a parody of this film!

Undisclosed

this is a must see of true 80's ART!

A MUST SEE!!!

Twitching

Undisclosed

You'll have to wait till Friedberg and Seltzer get around to writing "Eighties Movie."
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Russian soldier: "I will show how a Russian dies!"

Jed: "We've seen it."

-stray-

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    yeah ned, i am surprised you've just heard about this flick. like publius said, it's a cold war classic. it is also one of the most violent movies ever made (based on acts of violence per minute) and features probably the most ridiculous scenario of any movie ever. still, it is a fun ride and not to be taken too seriously.

now that you've brought it up, i haven't seen it in eons. i think i'll get my hands on a copy and give it a spin.
    Yep, a fun John Milius( Conan; the barbarian, Farewell to The King ) film that has been running on cable this month.

A more draggy but still interesting Commie scare film was a limited series called Amerika (1987), with Robert Urich, Kris Kristofferson and Sam Neil, about an almost bloodless takeover of the USA by soviet forces (hint, NATO plays a huge part in that )
    Kris is a former freedom fighter finally let loose after ten years in a work camp, Robert Urich is a minor politician slanted to become governor of the Heartland states as an over burdened Russia starts to carve up the nation into autonomous ( more or less ) satellites.

Wayne Z

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Seems like I just recently saw a website where this could be watched for free....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Wolverines!!!!!!!
    That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread!
    Awesome movie - a favorite of mine I'll watch anytime it comes on tv even though I have it. Definately a classic. Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to run out now and get it!!!