Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Have A Question

United States

I Have A Question

Do the movies relate to eachother? Is LAND OF THE DEAD really the sequel to Day of the Dead, or are they all different? Do the events that take place in DAY affect LAND? Because in Night, they walk slowly, but in Dawn remake, they run, and in LAND, they walk again. explain. do they relate or not?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneCrusader
    Do the movies relate to eachother? Is LAND OF THE DEAD really the sequel to Day of the Dead, or are they all different? Do the events that take place in DAY affect LAND? Because in Night, they walk slowly, but in Dawn remake, they run, and in LAND, they walk again. explain. do they relate or not?
    The only way the original George A. Romero films (Night '68/Dawn '78/Day '85/and Land '05) relate to each other is that they show the evoloution of the zombies. They take place in different time frames and different areas of the U.S. of A. Night '90 was remade by director Tom Savini on pretty close to the same screenplay as Romero's original classic NOTLD '68. Dawn '04 was remade by a new director to the big screen Zach Snyder, based on the same general idea of Romero's original masterpiece DOTD '78. (Mall/Zombies) I hope that answers your questions.
    Last edited by NumberOneGARFan; 10-May-2006 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    and to go further more on that, Dawn remake has nothing to do with the GAR universe and may go have mercy on your soul if alot of people hear read this post
    its all about the Party.

United States
    All of GAR's movies relate to each other. You have to remember 2 things,
    1) THe universe in which you are talking about and
    2) The time frame involved with the movies.

Universe - all of GAR's movies exist in the same "universe", that it to say in the universe as a movie fan that your mind choses to except. In this case, a universe that is very similiar to our own, major difference, the dead can come to life and want to attack the living. The Dawn remake does not exist in that same universe. A very similiar one, but the zombies move faster.

Time Frame - There are two different time frames to think about, the "real" time frame in which the movies were made, and the "GAR Universe" time frame that exists in the movies themselves. Night, Dawn, Day and Land were made in 1968,1979,1985, and 2004 (if these arent exactly accurate, you still get the point). As movies made in the real universe, they reflect different movie making techniques available at the time, different clothing styles, soundtrack differences, etc. But in the Gar universe time frame, you have to accept that the movies are "timeless". Dawn was made 11 years after Night, but takes place three weeks after Night. It is not meant to be inferred that in a three week timespan that clothing styles, hairstyles, etc. have changed so much, they only changed in "real" time. You have to suspend your disbelief in this as you do that the dead can walk in the first place.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    All of GAR's movies relate to each other. You have to remember 2 things,
    1) THe universe in which you are talking about and
    2) The time frame involved with the movies.

Universe - all of GAR's movies exist in the same "universe", that it to say in the universe as a movie fan that your mind choses to except. In this case, a universe that is very similiar to our own, major difference, the dead can come to life and want to attack the living. The Dawn remake does not exist in that same universe. A very similiar one, but the zombies move faster.

Time Frame - There are two different time frames to think about, the "real" time frame in which the movies were made, and the "GAR Universe" time frame that exists in the movies themselves. Night, Dawn, Day and Land were made in 1968,1979,1985, and 2004 (if these arent exactly accurate, you still get the point). As movies made in the real universe, they reflect different movie making techniques available at the time, different clothing styles, soundtrack differences, etc. But in the Gar universe time frame, you have to accept that the movies are "timeless". Dawn was made 11 years after Night, but takes place three weeks after Night. It is not meant to be inferred that in a three week timespan that clothing styles, hairstyles, etc. have changed so much, they only changed in "real" time. You have to suspend your disbelief in this as you do that the dead can walk in the first place.

This is probably the single best definition of the GAR timeline vs Real timeline for DEAD films I have read to date. Nice job man.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

United States
    The precedent was set with this character.

Blades - Dawn of the Dead

Blades - Land of the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    that is pretty damn cool but i thought everyone knew it was the same timeline but night was ...well on the night (ill do it on the night ) dawn was two months in ,day was anywhere between 6 months and 2 years into the plague.

...err, i think.

United States
    I like how it made the circle (atmosphere-wise) night-dawn-day-night - I think you'll get my meaning (Mr. and Mrs. Frodos)

United States
    If the movies DO relate to eachother (GAR) then why is it that in Land of the Dead, you die, and you become a zombie, but in all other GAR movies, you have to get the disease tramsmitted...?

I think with each GAR movie, it just starts all over, because why wouldn't the later movies know how to stop them? Or prevent them?

United States
    then why is it that in Land of the Dead, you die, and you become a zombie, but in all other GAR movies, you have to get the disease tramsmitted...?
    This is not accurate. In the original Night, the radio specifically says how the dead are coming to life the morgues. It does not say that "zombies are attacking living people in the morgues and they are returning to life", so you have to logically assume that since this is at the beginning of the problem, the only dead people in the morgue are the same dead people that are in a morgue in everyday life, people that died, not ones that were attacked by zombies. Therefore, the dead who were not infected were returning to life.

I think with each GAR movie, it just starts all over, because why wouldn't the later movies know how to stop them? Or prevent them?
    They do know how to stop them, kill the brain, kill the ghoul. Shoot it man, shoot it in the head! By the time of the events in Day, not only do they know how to stop them, but how to capture them, move them around for experiments, etc. The problem that exists in Romero's dead movies is not a lack of knowledge about how to kill the Zed's, but the same problem that exists now in our universe. That problem is man's inability to co-operate with his fellow man. That is a central theme in Romero's works. It is almost 5 years after the attacks on the World Trade Center, yet at ground zero there is no rebuilding efforts or monuments. Why, because we dont know how to build a building or a monument? No. Because different groups can not come to an agreement on what to do there.

In real life we know how to stop world hunger...feed those without food. Relocate them. But there is no profit in doing that, therefore the rest of the world kind of accepts that hundreds of thousands die of starvation every year on this planet, but thats OK, as long as the elite have huge luxery ships, mansions, etc at their disposal. We know how to stop and prevent world hunger, yet we do nothing.

Banned User

United States
    The movies reflected the times they were produced not because of some great artistic statement, but because it made the budget cheaper if GAR and the Pittsburgh Pimp squad could just ignore period continuity from film to film.

United States
    The movies reflected the times they were produced not because of some great artistic statement, but because it made the budget cheaper if GAR and the Pittsburgh Pimp squad could just ignore period continuity from film to film
    What you say is true. I was not implying that it was some great artistic statement, but I do say that great artistic achievement was the result. I submit not that they "ignored" period continuity, but that within the framework of the series, period continuity is of little importance.

Undisclosed
    maybe we should just advise him to go rent the original films, then watch them.

i mean, if he thinks the dawn remake was part of the original series, it's obvious he probably hasn't seen them...

Administrator

England
    was dawn really 3 months after night? i always thought they overlapped somewhat.. .. if you'll allow me to explain my theory.

i think dawn starts around the same time as night, maybe a day or 2 afterwards.. my main reason for this is the redneck party that comes along at the end of night, i think this is the same, if not a similar group that we see at the start of dawn.. i dont think these groups would last long so im putting these events about the same time. my second reasoning is the timeline, i'll get to that later.

then i also thought day started around the time dawn ends.. the world does seem pretty desolate when they leave the mall (just the feeling i get) but it is oohh lets say 6 months into the plague, with zombies congregating in cities they would be abandoned of life as they are at the start of day, most search and rescue parties, trying to save the injured, would also be vanguished by now. so i beleive dawn ends and day starts here. either at the same time or around the same time (give or take a few weeks), again, the timeline supports this which im coming to.

ok my timeline theory, stick with me on this.. based on the calendars this makes sense to me, in night... dosn't johnny or barbara make some remark about daylight savings time? so it must be happening about may/june(?)... in dawn, fran is marking off a calendar in "october" in the final month... and in day, sarah is marking a calendar in "november" at the beginning and end of the movie.. so it seems pretty logical to me that the three films do overlap somewhat.

ok.. assuming that night happens in may, and dawn concludes in october, and day starts in november. if we can assume that night and dawn overlap, meaning dawn would start in may and conclude in october/november, where day starts and lasts less than a month (sarah marks the same calendar again in november at the end of the movie).

so, if this theory is true, then the original trilogy takes place over 7 months from may to november, with dawn being the biggest part of the trilogy spanning 6 of those months. bridging night and day in a way.

now that makes sense to me and thats my personal theory on the timeline of the trilogy. no land is not included in that becuase i personally dont like land and dont accept it as a true dead film.

Undisclosed
    Andy if you watch the original Night, it happens in October (and was actually filmed at the end of august right through October in real life)-

Listening to the Talk Show host in Dawn ,he states some where that for the past "3 weeks we've been in a state of Martial law in Philedelphia"-

In Day Sara Tells Logan "Your just proving theories that were developed Months ago...and just slicing up too many specimans.."-

And in Land riley states that he's been in the city for 3 years...
    I think you can actually see the continuity ...
    For myself, I don't really view the titles as a "position of the sun, or moon" but the state of man ..
    Night- the early beginning
    Dawn- the rising of the dead ,mans decline
    Day-man is the minority and the dead predominant
    Land- man has been over run to the brink

And to answer LoneCrusader question, the DAWN remake is not one of GAR's films remade, but a stand alone film based on the idea of GAR's films.
    Last edited by DeadCentral; 18-May-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....