Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 'District 9' - Looks interesting...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Good flick, if for a couple of silly oversights. eg:-

They needed every drop of the black liquid they'd been collecting for 20yrs... but even though a good portion of it had sprayed over Wikus, there was still enough?

Wasn't the shortage of liquid/fuel the reason for Christopher not being able to help Wikus immediately? I see that as a subtle irony, but you know, I have to see the movie again because there is a lot going on. We also don't know if they were collecting or synthesizing the liquid for the entire 20 years. It could have been a recent development after many false starts.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As long as they retain the quality of D9, then fine by me.
    If they have a story as good as the first one, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 09-Sep-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Does anyone remember the original short film of district 9 from 2005?In fact I think it was posted on these very forums all those years ago!

England
    Finally got round to watching this last night, missed the cinema showings as my g/f wouldnt go & see it, so ive picked up the DVD! Enjoyed it anyway, thought the way it was done had a very realistic feel to it (the gritty refugee camp mainly) & I loved the alien weaponry. Spent most of the film feeling massively sorry for the aliens & that the humans, including the main character, were all a bunch of pricks! Im going soft in my old age I think, but I would have been gutted if Christopher Johnson or his son had been killed!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Finally got round to watching this last night, missed the cinema showings as my g/f wouldnt go & see it, so ive picked up the DVD! Enjoyed it anyway, thought the way it was done had a very realistic feel to it (the gritty refugee camp mainly) & I loved the alien weaponry. Spent most of the film feeling massively sorry for the aliens & that the humans, including the main character, were all a bunch of pricks! Im going soft in my old age I think, but I would have been gutted if Christopher Johnson or his son had been killed!

I've been thinking about picking this one up. However, it would be a blu ray purchase so that's 20-25 bucks easy. So before i take the plunge, is it worth it iyho, or should i rent it and give it a propper viewing first?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    It's a spiffing film.

I felt that Wikus is the sort of character that starts off like a right bellend, then over the course of the movie he becomes a real hero and you're just right there with him, cheering him on. I know I was.

Like when they go into that government building, or when he's in that Ed-209 type machine and he catches that rocket - ah mate - hero time right there. The way how he just keeps fighting.

England
    It's a spiffing film.

I felt that Wikus is the sort of character that starts off like a right bellend, then over the course of the movie he becomes a real hero and you're just right there with him, cheering him on. I know I was.
    I was warming to him until..

he had his violent tantrum after christopher johnson said promised to come back for him but it would take 3 years, the way he knocked him unconscious then left him for those mercs was right out of order! I guess he did redeem himself with the mech suit battle, but he was still a bit of a bellend lol

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I was warming to him until..

he had his violent tantrum after christopher johnson said promised to come back for him but it would take 3 years, the way he knocked him unconscious then left him for those mercs was right out of order! I guess he did redeem himself with the mech suit battle, but he was still a bit of a bellend lol
    i thought it was very refreshing to have a complex character who wasnt necessarily bad but was driven by his self preservation in what, to him, was essentially a 'body horror deal'. Wikus was a conflicted guy, not stereotypically bad or good. He was a character in the truest sense of the word. From the moment at the very start where he discovers a nest of "prawn larva" and has the place torched i really disliked the guy, but then you start to feel for him, then hate him again and vice versa. its a roller coaster between compassion and distaste for a character played by a first time actor and it was superb. take something like avatar. in that sully is pretty much "the good guy" he is just a guy who does no wrong. Wikus does but it doesnt make him a bad guy, just a believably flawed human being.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i thought it was very refreshing to have a complex character who wasnt necessarily bad but was driven by his self preservation in what, to him, was essentially a 'body horror deal'. Wikus was a conflicted guy, not stereotypically bad or good. He was a character in the truest sense of the word. From the moment at the very start where he discovers a nest of "prawn larva" and has the place torched i really disliked the guy, but then you start to feel for him, then hate him again and vice versa. its a roller coaster between compassion and distaste for a character played by a first time actor and it was superb. take something like avatar. in that sully is pretty much "the good guy" he is just a guy who does no wrong. Wikus does but it doesnt make him a bad guy, just a believably flawed human being.
    Bingo. I just saw this last night for the first time & that was one of the biggest selling points for me on why I enjoyed it so much & found it to be as awesome as everyone has said. Really made it much more believable & realistic.

Lots of twists & turns in the story. Fresh & unpredictable. Has a great message by tying it in to real life events WITHOUT overstating it & having it overshadow the movie itself. Great movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Bingo. I just saw this last night for the first time & that was one of the biggest selling points for me on why I enjoyed it so much & found it to be as awesome as everyone has said. Really made it much more believable & realistic.

Lots of twists & turns in the story. Fresh & unpredictable. Has a great message by tying it in to real life events WITHOUT overstating it & having it overshadow the movie itself. Great movie.
    Well said, the both of you.

Although characters that are 'simply' good or bad can and still do work frequently in films. Just thought I'd add that in.

But aye, it made Wikus all the more interesting, however interestingly I didn't find that bit off-putting. I understood it from the point of view of "three focking years?!" - the man is going through this hideous, terrifying transformation that he cannot stop, and now he has to wait three years to possibly be fixed. You can understand the lapse in judgement, especially when he started the film as such a tit - but by the end of it, when he's in that ED-209 type thingy, man alive are you rooting for him.

United States
    Well said, the both of you.

Although characters that are 'simply' good or bad can and still do work frequently in films. Just thought I'd add that in.
    Yeah I thought about adding that. While it works well in this film, the last thing I would want is a cinema landscape littered with morally ambiguous "heroes"(?). In this instance it works, in other cases it wouldn't. JUst depends on what kind of movie you're trying to make. It's all about context.

But aye, it made Wikus all the more interesting, however interestingly I didn't find that bit off-putting. I understood it from the point of view of "three focking years?!" - the man is going through this hideous, terrifying transformation that he cannot stop, and now he has to wait three years to possibly be fixed. You can understand the lapse in judgement, especially when he started the film as such a tit
    Yeah, that was one of those moments that, as a viewer, had me going "What the fuck are you THINKING?!?!? NOW what're ya gonna do!?!?!", but in terms of the character, & what he was going through, it was totally believable, even if it didn't make "sense".

- but by the end of it, when he's in that ED-209 type thingy, man alive are you rooting for him.
    That was fucking awesome. Period.

Great Britain
    Just picked it up on Blu-ray, I really love this film, can't really think of a fault with it.

The CGI is flawless, got a real gritty feel to it and I was grinning from ear to ear when the Alien weaponry was used, bad ass.

Wonder if there's going to be a follow up and if yes is It going to be a rescue or invasion?

The director has a bright future ahead of him.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 02-Jan-2010 at 11:53 PM.

United States
    The lady & I rented this a few weeks ago & I must say, I was not impressed. She however liked it. Both agreed though it wasn't anything like we thought it was going to be.
    - Jeffery

http://halejeffery.blogspot.com

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche